Just got a call from my father. Trouble on the EPIC. Power outtage.

ragermac

I get that you are maybe an NCL spokesperson
There is no "maybe" about this.

LauraS posted this:-

Both of the posts above were created by someone working at NCL's headquarters in Miami, FL
The two posts linked to were these:-
Dear Cruise Critic members,

Sorry for any miscommunication with regard to the availability of our in room bar set-up.

After hearing your concerns and upon further reviewing the policy, it is available for booking.

We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Dear Valued Guests,

We appreciate your feedback on the current test taking place on select ships which gave all suite guests access to our courtyard villa complex. Our research had previously shown that the courtyard villa complex was not being utilized to its fullest potential and therefore we wanted to conduct this test which was intended to take place during the current cruise only and will end at the conclusion of the sailing.

Our on-board staff has been closely monitoring guest usage and reaction to this test. They have been sharing information and feedback with our shoreside team. At Norwegian Cruise Line, we are passionate about innovation and, therefore, we are constantly working on ways to add value to the Freestyle experience. We listen to all of our guests’ feedback and want to thank you for your input.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

ok...I get that you are maybe an NCL spokesperson...but here is my question...Why have you been a member since 2004 and only have 31 posts?

I am asking because it would seem to be a logical conclusion that using CC is a great way to get the truth across. If you are authorized by NCL to post in the capacity of a spokesperson you should do it more often. Of course if you are just an employee or just a regular CC member that is not officially authorized to speak on their behalf, that is another issue all together.

Personally, I would appreciate confirmation that you are authorized to speak on behalf of NCL as you do seem to have good info.:)

Cruise Critic management confirmed some time ago that the poster "NCL" is in fact an official representative of the cruise line.

Thanks for posting. This sounds more like what the OPs father was experiencing when he called.

More info from our friend who is pretty reliable and not given to hyperbole or exaggeration.

Hi Gang, No time to read back through the posts, just checking in with family to let them know that we are fine and taking a minute to let you know we are having a ball.

We had a fire onboard this morning. Burning smell, billowing smoke. Engines cut, power out. Claimed there was a generator problem but the smoke was black and the smell strong. We were in perfect location, just under the stacks when Paul looked up and didn't want to alarm me but I smelled the burning and exclaimed... that can't be good. lol..

Anyway, we are up and running and on our way. The poptart jokes were already starting and some folk were really worried.

I just would love to know real answers

Wast there a fire?

Was there a mechanical issue?

Was there loss of power or engines for a brief time?

I'm sure there was a mechanical issue. Diesel engines can belch quite a bit of smoke, so hard to say if there was a fire or not. This is one of the main reasons there is such controversy in Charleston right now about cruise ships docking downtown. While they are docked they are running one engine for electricity and soot ends up all over residents' homes...

There also might be a brief lapse of power depending on how they handled the switch between engines...

So how did the OP's father lie? If a generator goes, and the cause is not clear, it takes time to throw on a back-up system. The problem is that if the failure is in, say, the networking, then throwing on a back-up generator may result in the rapid loss of the back-up.

This was pretty much the scenario with the Norwegian Dawn in November 2009, when each of the back-up systems was brought down as it was applied, because of a misunderstanding of what caused the initial outage. In fact, the correct cause was not figured out until after the Dawn limped into San Juan. During the outage it is not unusual to lose propulsion, if the other operating generators are shut down for their own protection. That will shut down refrigeration, air conditioning, electric cooking, etc. And restaurants may close, for a short time or long time. The shutdown can easily be more than 5 minutes. On the Dawn the initial attempt to switch over to back-up systems was several hours after power was first lost. And, yes, there was lots of smoke belching out, but no fire.

Unless you are in a storm, I can assure you that there is nothing scary about floating in the Atlantic. These are very large vessels. In fact, I thought the "sleeping on the decks" because of lack of air conditioning was great fun. Hard to believe they insisted on giving us all sorts of future credits.:)

Bill

I have a large amount of Family on Epic this week, and yesterday my Uncle posted on his Facebook that there was an engine fire and that they didnt have any power. He then updated a little later that all power was restored.

I thought he was pulling my leg.

Guess not. :)

To the Greczkowski and Manuzzi families on board, HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

LMAO! Save Ferris!

As stated earlier. That is a rep from NCL and the reason they have so few post is that they don't spend hours on CC trying to pacify everyone with an a issue or answer questions that other posters may know the answer to.

But they do read these boards.

They come on when necessary to clarify soemthing such as the time there was an uproar about the bar set up being eliminated or as in this case, to let us know what was really happening to the Epic and that everyone is safe. If you look at all 31 posts, you will see it is not someone goofing around pretending to be someone they're not. They only post when absolutely necessary.

I' glad the ship is up and running again and that no one was hurt.

Cruise Critic management confirmed some time ago that the poster "NCL" is in fact an official representative of the cruise line.

Which probably means that this poster is posting what NCL wants us to hear, whether it is the whole story or not, is still up for debate.

I think it was this 'official' NCL poster, who gave info here, during the rather rocky launch of NCL America's Hawaii cruises, in 2004. To the best of my recollection the info givien at that time was at the very least, as another poster here put it, "glossy".

Which probably means that this poster is posting what NCL wants us to hear' date=' whether it is the whole story or not, is still up for debate.

I think it was this 'official' NCL poster, who gave info here, during the rather rocky launch of NCL America's Hawaii cruises, in 2004. To the best of my recollection the info givien at that time was at the very least, as another poster here put it, "glossy".[/quote']

Yep, it is all just a conspiracy by the evil corporations.

I may be mistaken but "NCL" has only posted here to clarify misinformation, not PR new endeavors. But, then again some will never give NCL the benefit of the doubt. So sad.

PE

Thanks for posting. This sounds more like what the OPs father was experiencing when he called.

I think it is interesting how everyone jumped all over the OP about lies and exaggerated stories, but if there was a fire, even a small fire, I can see how it would have disrupted meals being served at that time, meaning the OP was not lying or exaggerating. On the other hand, none of these people had a problem with the NCL post not including all the facts. Yes, everything is fine now, but it probably wasn't earlier in the day. Their post made it sound like the OP's was incorrectly informed of the situation. Also, calling a fire a "technical issue" seems a bit glossy.

Thanks for that. I did not appreciate the remarks earlier about my fathers comments. Yes he is old, but he doesn't lie or exaggerate.

WOW that is crazy

Little food? I find that hard to believe LOL

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. If it was the very last day of the cruise I might be able to understand, but very little food? I wonder what is going on. Of course I haven't read the rest of the posting yet either.

Nita

Yep' date=' it is all just a conspiracy by the evil corporations.

I may be mistaken but "NCL" has only posted here to clarify misinformation, not PR new endeavors. But, then again some will never give NCL the benefit of the doubt. So sad.

PE[/color']

Thanks my thoughts exactly. There are those who will do anything to discredit NCL and some even to discredit CC. I have now read through the posts. It does seem like the Op was reporting exactly what daddy had to say, but daddy just slightly over-reacted. To those who prefer to believe NCL is hiding something, remember, if it is all that bad and there is danger or a shortage of food, whatever, the media will pick it up asap. Until then, accept what NCL is telling us.

Nita

Thanks my thoughts exactly. There are those who will do anything to discredit NCL and some even to discredit CC. I have now read through the posts. It does seem like the Op was reporting exactly what daddy had to say, but daddy just slightly over-reacted. To those who prefer to believe NCL is hiding something, remember, if it is all that bad and there is danger or a shortage of food, whatever, the media will pick it up asap. Until then, accept what NCL is telling us.

Nita

Well, we all know how the media gave alot of misinformation about the Splendor. So, you can't always believe the media.

Well, we all know how the media gave alot of misinformation about the Splendor. So, you can't always believe the media.

True, but if there was a serious problem it would be news, maybe not alway accurate news, but certainly it would be publicized. That was my main point.

Nita

Archived