What's the coffee like on Princess?

2saskguys

As previously posted, coffee - like everything else you eat or drink - is subjective. I am THIS CLOSE (holds hand up with thumb and forefinger about 1/4 inch apart) to being a true coffee snob, meaning that we grind our beans fresh daily bot don't roast them ourselves! No Instant (regardless of the technique used to manufacture it) is acceptable.

That being said, this is our routine. When I wake up (I'm the early riser in the family) I go to the IC and bring a cup of brewed coffee for myself and a cappuccino for DW (coffee card) back to the cabin. At breakfast, I pass on the coffee and she does drink a cup of reconstituted syrup. No coffee with or after other meals in the buffet or DR. All other coffee is from the IC.

Works for us. YMMV.

Shalom, Andy.

Isn't it amazing how a cruise line can accommodate diet requirements/preferences (diabetic, salt free,etc.) but can't make a simple cup of coffee without charging extra.

My husband and I are not coffee drinkers, but we sympathize with those that are. However, I would imagine a bad cup of coffee first thing in the morning on a cruise beats the best cup of coffee in any Starbucks or Tim Hortons.(or insert your coffee house of choice.)

Pearl

The problem with the coffee on Star Princess was that it tasted very bitter, as if it had been overheated or standing too long. It was completely undrinkable. Unfortunately, the paid coffee in the IC was not that much better. Surprisingly, the debarkation breakfast coffee in the Horizon Court was suddenly a lot better. Maybe the turnover speed was much higher.

The staff all know about it, but nobody does anything about it. Complaining does not help either.

Can you buy the card on the ship? (as vs. buying it via TA or b4 the cruise online?)
The card is sold only on the ship - no other options. Don't worry, on embarkation day there will be tables set up all over the ship selling coffee and soda cards.

SOME travel agents have a coupon book as a perk which contains a coupon giving you two coffee cards for the price of one. Don't confuse this coupon book with the one Princess places in everyone's cabun - that is nearly worthless.

In two weeks we're sailing on the Grand and I just wanted to canvas Princess patrons to find out what the coffee on board is like? We found it almost undrinkable on Celebrity and I just want to know if I should back my Starbuck's instant coffee or if the coffee (especially the morning coffee) is tasty?

Thanks in advance,

Wes

We just spent 62 days on the Sapphire (off on 11/22). I travel with my own coffeemaker, as do some other here on CC. First thing in the AM I brewed my Starbucks and brewed again if I happened to be hanging out in my cabin in the late morning or afternoon. For lunch and dinner I used Via; didn't matter whether or not I was at the buffet or in the diningroom. I carried enough packets with me, both Italian Roast and Decaf to last the entire 9 weeks. At times I got an Americano, double shot, at the coffee bar. One punch. Never, ever, did I drink Princess sludge.

The buffet coffee is bad enough to cure me of my caffeine addiction! I love strong coffee but add water to it along with a lot of cream. Am glad that we are getting coupon books on our upcoming cruise so we can avail ourselves of two for one coffee cards!

Do they serve free "coffee"? What I had was a brown liquid that did not resembled coffee, at all. Had brewed coffee at the IC and, although the liquid was better, it did not deserved to be called coffee.

Free coffe in RCI´s ships is Seattle´s Best, much better that Princess, but still not very good.

My opinion might be biassed, since I live in a country that produces one of the best coffee in the world, if not the best.

My advice is: bring your instant Starbucks or a coffee brewer.

Just off the T-Day Emerald sailing, and I'm not a fan of the brewed coffee at IC. At the recommendation of the IC staff, I had a double expresso 'Americano' which was very enjoyable. This did require using a punch on the coffee card which, for me, was well worth it.

Since personal tastes vary, I recommend being prepared. Bring the Starbucks!

If I were you.......I would leave all my clothes behind and pack 2 (1 for backup) coffee makers and a case of coffee. Oh yeah.....don't forget the creamers. Heheheheeee

When I cruise......I could care less about coffee,,,,,,,TRUTHFULLY!!!!

Lido, or HC coffee, is REAL coffee. It is made from a liquid coffee concentrate same as all of the coffee on the ship with the exception of the Patisserie or IC, in which case, it is fresh brewed for a fee.

Orange juice is also made from a liquid concentrate or you can get fresh squeezed for a ffee.

Edited by cruiseron36

The free stuff is undrinkable swill. They should be arrested for calling it coffee.

The stuff you get at the coffee bar is brewed and is better although not great.

DON

That is a matter of opinion. The coffee's fine for me.

Lido coffee can never taste good because it's not coffee.

It is coffee, it's just a variety that some people (judging by the number of people drinking it every morning it's not the majority) on the ships prefer not to drink. I could care less as to how it's made though, since to me all coffee, no matter the origin, tastes absolutely disgusting.

Edited by Coracii

All the discussion about the Princess coffee has me excited about trying it. I'm a coffee lover...but I pride myself on not only having good taste in coffee (we roast and grind our own beans at home) but also being able to force down the absolute worst small town gas-station vending-machine grey coffee and still be happy. First thing in the morning I don't really care. As long as it's a coffee flavoured beverage then I should be satisfied.

All the discussion about the Princess coffee has me excited about trying it. I'm a coffee lover...but I pride myself on not only having good taste in coffee (we roast and grind our own beans at home) but also being able to force down the absolute worst small town gas-station vending-machine grey coffee and still be happy. First thing in the morning I don't really care. As long as it's a coffee flavoured beverage then I should be satisfied.

then you should be fine if you don't mind drinking the 'gas station vending machine grey coffee'....

• 2 weeks later...

Coffee Card Promotion

• The Coffee Card Promotion retails at $24.00 plus 15% gratuity and allows passengers to redeem 15 speciality coffees throughout their voyage, in any location, where espresso/cappuccino service is offered.
  • This represents anything up to a 20% saving compared to purchasing these beverages individually.
  • Every time a guest requests a coffee a hole-punch is made in the coffee card until all 15 slots have been used.
  • The coffee card promotion includes all hot and cold beverages featured in the Cafe Selects Menu (see below) apart from the Green Tea Fusion Smoothies.

Princess Cafe Selects

Espresso & Coffee

Freshly Brewed Coffee* 12oz, 16oz - regular & decaffeinated

Espresso

Macchiato

Cappuccino 12oz, 16oz

Cafe Latte 12oz, 16oz

White Chocolate Latte 12oz, 16oz

White & Milk Chocolate Mocha 12oz, 16oz

Vanilla Bean Latte 12oz, 16oz

Hot Chocolate* 12oz, 16oz

Revolution Tea* 12oz, 16oz

* Note: Freshly brewed coffee and Revolution Tea refills are complimentary when seated in the lounge. Hot chocolate is complimentary in the dining room, in Deck/Buffet areas on Alaskan itineraries and in conjunction with the Coffee Card Promotion. However, hot chocolate continues to carry a charge when offered at the bars and buffets.

Lobby Bar

Iced coffee and Blends

Your choice of the following flavors frozen or served over ice

White Chocolate 12oz, 16oz

Vanilla Bean 12oz, 16oz

Caramel Mocha 12oz, 16oz

Green tea fruit smoothies - non-fat fruit smoothies fusing together green tea and fresh fruit

Peach Pizzazz 12oz, 16oz

Pomegranate & Blueberry 12oz, 16oz

Mango Madness 12oz, 16oz

We thought the coffee on Princess was OK. We did not buy the coffee card and when we went to Australia we could not find any brewed coffee

on any of the ports we stopped at. All we could find were cappacinos and tall or short coffee's. We found them very strong.

Then we just got back from Celebrity and their coffee was very good but it was the strongest coffee we ever had even stronger than Starbucks.

Carnival coffee is OK. But I think the best coffee is on NCL.