Jewel hit something

EVALUATOR

Hi Janice,

How have you and Gil been. We think of you two quite often, especially when we look at Freedom pictures. I'm sp glad we ran into you. As you can see by the signature, we are 45 days out to sail on Oasis. It would be a hoot if you could join us. Can you believe it's been almost 2 years since we shared the dinner table?

Ken

Hi Ken

Sure, I remember the Freedom and the great time. We will be on the Voyager for a B2B Jan. 16 and Jan. 23. Need to escape Wisconsin winter for a while. Right now it is 10 degrees out there. Have a great time on the Oasis. We were going to do the Oasis at that time, but decided on the Voyager.

Jan

I hear 'ya. When it gets cold down here, same thing.....a very achy foot. Of course cold down here is anything below 60! ;)

Right now it is 31 degrees this morning, and by next Tuesday.....a high of 42 and a low of 25. :eek: :eek: Ya' call this Florida??? :(

Records are being broken again. Global warming?? huh??

My sister lives in upstate Wisconsin (Mercer) and I think her high yesterday never made it over 10 degrees. They are snowblowing their driveway right now. But they sure have a pretty place in the summer!! You live in a beautiful state!

Yes, Wisconsin is beautiful in spring, summer and fall, but not winter. Right now it is only about 10 above, way to cold for me. At least its sunny out.

Jan

This is a message from robert taggart the jewels hotel director i emailed him about it

Cruise*critic, lord love a duck. The Jewel ran into a "rubber pipe"*that was left in the channel approaching Cartagena. The government has been dredging this area and left it behind without notification.*Once we hit it, we reversed and it came loose, fortunately no damage to the ship and we are trying to find out why it was there etc. So no damage, man the rumours! lol!

what happened to the explorer?

In January 2009, during dinner, we were pulling out of the Dominican Republic, and we hit something. The boat started shaking/shuttering for a few seconds. I believe it turned out that we hit a reef, or scraped on a reef. Either way, one of the propellors was damaged, and instead of going to Labadee the next day, we had to start heading back to NJ. We did stop somewhere near the Turks and Caicos while some divers went under and looked for damage.

IMG_1595.jpg.fb41880b31ebc8f16a02d032e3c2ab6a.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg.d33340a9111a6ecfb57da26a9dca802e.jpg

Houses sensitive electronic equipment...so cross your fingers all is well.

One of the posters mentioned that there are electronic instruments in the bulbous bow, one might assume that the reason the ship had to get that pipe off of there is because of the interference the metal in the pipe caused in the instrumentation (sonar/depth measurement. ) The bridge probably noticed a change in their instrument panels which would make getting a correct depth reading difficult. I would guess tht's pretty important when approaching a harbor channel. That's my layman's assumption. If you nautical techie types can offer more information that would be great.

Unlike the sonar bulb on the front of many modern warships, the bulbous bow on a cruise liner houses no electronic equipment. It's strictly structural.

It's designed to change the period of the bow wave, reducing wear and tear on the bow of the ship and increasing fuel efficiency.

Were you guys out at sea while they were making that dive? talk about scary. diving under the second largest class ship in the middle of the ocean.

In January 2009, during dinner, we were pulling out of the Dominican Republic, and we hit something. The boat started shaking/shuttering for a few seconds. I believe it turned out that we hit a reef, or scraped on a reef. Either way, one of the propellors was damaged, and instead of going to Labadee the next day, we had to start heading back to NJ. We did stop somewhere near the Turks and Caicos while some divers went under and looked for damage.

ohhhhh mr smart pants...... lol thanks for the info. thats actually cool to know. why dont they use it to house anything?

Unlike the sonar bulb on the front of many modern warships, the bulbous bow on a cruise liner houses no electronic equipment. It's strictly structural.

It's designed to change the period of the bow wave, reducing wear and tear on the bow of the ship and increasing fuel efficiency.

ohhhhh mr smart pants...... lol thanks for the info. thats actually cool to know. why dont they use it to house anything?

I'm not a cruise ship architect, but this makes perfect sense. Cruise ships don't generally need to go hunting for submarines, so there is no need for that kind of sonar gear.

The better question is why would you want to put anything in there? It's not that big, certainly not easily accessible, and there is no practical reason anything on a cruise ship would need to be there.

Warships put their sonar gear up there because it is far away from any interference from other noise-generating equipment on the ship. Also the bulb shape gives them access to a wide "sonic view" of the ocean around them. If these antennae were along the main part of the hull, that view is restricted to half a sphere.

Theron

Here's a photo of a destroyer in drydock:

dg-62_050208-n-9851b-010.jpg

Who is the captain and cruise director on this sailing? I'm curious because my husband and I were supposed to be on this sailing but we had to cancel for health reasons.

Keith Williams is CD and Captain James, the Ship's Master. We sailed with them previously on the Jewel and have the greatest respect for Captain James.

He took us from Harwich to Boston on Brilliance of the Seas in 2002 while doing an excellent job of avoiding the full effects of Hurricane Gustav.

I'm not a cruise ship architect, but this makes perfect sense. Cruise ships don't generally need to go hunting for submarines, so there is no need for that kind of sonar gear.

The better question is why would you want to put anything in there? It's not that big, certainly not easily accessible, and there is no practical reason anything on a cruise ship would need to be there.

Warships put their sonar gear up there because it is far away from any interference from other noise-generating equipment on the ship. Also the bulb shape gives them access to a wide "sonic view" of the ocean around them. If these antennae were along the main part of the hull, that view is restricted to half a sphere.

Theron

Here's a photo of a destroyer in drydock:

dg-62_050208-n-9851b-010.jpg

Wow! Great pic...thanks for posting! :D

well the front of most of these bigger cruise ships now are pretty large and you coul get to it considering the size overall of the ship is much larger then that destroyer. not just that, the ship you posted is designed to carry high speeds and be able to manuever while at at speed very easily and be very agile. the cruise ship is not. so the front can be much larger.

Here is the bow of Oasis

oasis_of_the_seas_bulbous_bow.jpg

There was a show on the Science Channel called "Big, Bigger, Biggest" [filmed at a time Independence was the "Biggest"] that explained the bulbous as well as I have heard. The bulbous bow takes advantage of the fact that when the crest of one wave meets the trough of another, they tend to cancel each other out. The bulb creates a second bow wave that greatly reduces the wave made by the regular bow. This reduces drag on the ship increasing speed and fuel efficiency. Minimizing the size of the bow wave also helps reduce the potential for damage to harbors by such large ships.

If you are a techie like me and you get a chance to watch that show, you will enjoy it.

I am actually from Colombia and visit a couple newspaper websites almost daily.

About a week ago, I read that they were either installing or relocating a two-foot diameter pipe that I think dumps sewage (hope it is pre-treated) deep into the ocean and well off the coast of Cartagena.

The next day the news came out that a segment of pipe approx. 100 meters in length had sunken...or they lost it somehow.

Don't want to speculate, but this is too much of a coincidence.....

Hmmmm, seems to me the Jewel just found it!

What a scare that must of been and so early in the morning for a cabin announcment! :eek:

Glad all seems to be well, keep the reports coming!!!

Keith Williams is CD and Captain James, the Ship's Master. We sailed with them previously on the Jewel and have the greatest respect for Captain James.

He took us from Harwich to Boston on Brilliance of the Seas in 2002 while doing an excellent job of avoiding the full effects of Hurricane Gustav.

Thanks for your reply. I don't know Keith Williams, but I have sailed with Capt. James on Brilliance of the Seas to Canada also in 2002. We were very fond of him also.

The photo is really the AEGIS cruiser USS Chancellorsville (CG 62)

Ha ha, of course you are correct... that is what happens when you post hastily, and even more embarrassing when you consider the fact that I live only 6 miles away from Chancellorsville, which is the namesake of the ship. I've actually been aboard her sister ship, the USS Hue City, CG-66! Had a buddy in the navy who got me on a 3 day Tiger Cruise! Nothing like a cruise ship!

Thanks for the correction.

Theron

Ha ha, of course you are correct... that is what happens when you post hastily, and even more embarrassing when you consider the fact that I live only 6 miles away from Chancellorsville, which is the namesake of the ship. I've actually been aboard her sister ship, the USS Hue City, CG-66! Had a buddy in the navy who got me on a 3 day Tiger Cruise! Nothing like a cruise ship!

Theron

Spent 30 months onboard USS Anzio CG-68, made a trip to Hawaii from Norfolk on her during that time frame also. :)

Here is the bow of Oasis

oasis_of_the_seas_bulbous_bow.jpg

There was a show on the Science Channel called "Big, Bigger, Biggest" [filmed at a time Independence was the "Biggest"] that explained the bulbous as well as I have heard. The bulbous bow takes advantage of the fact that when the crest of one wave meets the trough of another, they tend to cancel each other out. The bulb creates a second bow wave that greatly reduces the wave made by the regular bow. This reduces drag on the ship increasing speed and fuel efficiency. Minimizing the size of the bow wave also helps reduce the potential for damage to harbors by such large ships.

If you are a techie like me and you get a chance to watch that show, you will enjoy it.

Is that a bulbous bow on that ship or is it just happy to see you?:D

Welcome neighbor... this is why I drive East, not North! :)

Theron

Then you probably work at the same place I do! Near a river....:rolleyes:

My commute is an hour, but living in Spotsy at least it's a country drive!

Theron

I was just aboard Chancellorsville last week...and I drive thru the BF to get home! Small world...

Archived