Jewel hit something

EVALUATOR

Then you probably work at the same place I do! Near a river....:rolleyes:

My commute is an hour, but living in Spotsy at least it's a country drive!

Ah, yes, very likely... and why I live in town, and not west thereof! ;)

Sometimes it takes me 25 minutes to reach the bridge to nowhere, then another 15 to get that last 3 miles home! I'm sure you have the same troubles trying to get all the way through to the other side...

Back to cruising... many folks who spent that kind of time on Navy ships refuse to even try a cruise... was that a difficult transition for you?

Theron

This is a message from robert taggart the jewels hotel director i emailed him about it

Cruise*critic, lord love a duck. The Jewel ran into a "rubber pipe"*that was left in the channel approaching Cartagena. The government has been dredging this area and left it behind without notification.*Once we hit it, we reversed and it came loose, fortunately no damage to the ship and we are trying to find out why it was there etc. So no damage, man the rumours! lol!

Robert Taggart.....is he great or what??? Tell him his Chattanooga friends said Hi and thanks for the info !!!

Unlike the sonar bulb on the front of many modern warships, the bulbous bow on a cruise liner houses no electronic equipment. It's strictly structural.

It's designed to change the period of the bow wave, reducing wear and tear on the bow of the ship and increasing fuel efficiency.

Well said! Now explain the bow wave frequency;)

The photo is really the AEGIS cruiser USS Chancellorsville (CG 62)

One time I took pictures like that, only to have some Armed Marines take my camera and returned it minus the film (35mm days)

I didn't argue with them :o

Oh, and it was a nuke sub that got tangled in some fishing nets. Eventually they had the entire dry dock covered in canvas, if you can imagine that.

One time I took pictures like that, only to have some Armed Marines take my camera and returned it minus the film (35mm days)

I didn't argue with them :o

Oh, and it was a nuke sub that got tangled in some fishing nets. Eventually they had the entire dry dock covered in canvas, if you can imagine that.

Absolutely. There are certain parts of a submarine that are sensitive, even to a casual viewing.

Theron

I had the same thing happen to me except it wasnt a sub. It was that Weird looking james bond Boat the Navy has. they use it in their commercials. I took pictures of it while it was docked in ft lauderdale. It was across from the port at john u park. when we got to the exit there were two hummers waiting for us with navel officers who would like a look at my dig camera. they made me delete the pics of the boat but let me keep the rest. My father was a naval pilot so we talked after and they ended up being cool and just explaining that the ship has stuff people who are bad would like to know about with pics or whatever is posted online. I repected it as i know the things my dad delt with in the navy flying. In the end I got a couple pics on my cell because they forgot to ask for that when i handed over the camera. lol

Absolutely. There are certain parts of a submarine that are sensitive, even to a casual viewing.

Theron

I was also on this cruise...I was not on the bridge and I still had those thoughts after I realized something was wrong. Spoke with Captain later in the afternoon that day and he indicated that the pipe/cable was not identifed on any of their maps or charts.

I can only imagine what was said on the bridge.

"Holy @#%#" "What the @%#& was that?"

Spoken with a Norwegian accent...:eek:

I must have a language setting on my computer wrong. Every time I read that, it comes out with an Irish accent. Like an 'Irish Spring' commercial.

Unfortunately, it was too dark for the photos of the pipe to come out.

All in all, it did no damage, just caused a little delay getting into port that morning.

The cruise was fair at best. The dining room food and service was very poor.

Rain and flooding closed the canal for the day canceling many of the tours. It was supposedly only the third time the canal had to close since it was built.

Theron

After they left, and after the XO finished laughing at us, he told us the most sensitive thing are the screws. A design to be fast, yet quiet. No one is allowed to see them. And there we were taking pictures!

Unfortunately, it was too dark for the photos of the pipe to come out.

All in all, it did no damage, just caused a little delay getting into port that morning.

The cruise was fair at best. The dining room food and service was very poor.

Rain and flooding closed the canal for the day canceling many of the tours. It was supposedly only the third time the canal had to close since it was built.

What a BUMMER! They CLOSED the Panama Canal????:eek: I didn't know such a thing ever occurred. That would have been very disappointing on a canal cruise (even a partial to Colon). That's too bad.

Glad to hear that the ship wasn't "injured" as we sail the Jewel Jan 3rdon the 11 day itinerary. Looking forward to it and happy that the ship escaped damage.

Would love feed back on the food, cruise director, shows etc from any recent Jewel passengers. Haven't sailed this class since our cruise on the Serenade 4-5 yrs ago.

Archived