Jewel hit something

EVALUATOR

Glad everyone is ok! I was on the Pride of Aloha when we were hit by a wave that caused a similar experience. It can be jarring.

As for the previous poster who mentioned there is no way to turn off or down the volume on cabin announcements...yup...it is that way for a purpose. You would be very upset if you missed an emergency call because you had previously turned down your intercom.

Hope there was no serious damage to the ship! Those bulbous bows are pretty tough, though. Wasn't there a ship up in Alaska that hit a whale or something?

Edit: Yup! Princess. I knew there was.

There is a volume control in each cabin but it can be over ridden by the crew. Following the Captain's announcement in English was the same announcement in about 4 other languages! Luckily you could turn down or off those announcements. We are on our way to Panama. Hopefully we won't hit the pipe again!

Couldn't have been too healthy for the poor whale either. :(

The captain said the whale was dead when we picked it up. The poor whale was just hauled out to sea. Actually it was not all that healthy for me either. I fractured my foot going down the steps by the gifts shops and in St. John I was going to the hospital to have my foot taken care of. They took care of me on the ship, but the doctor felt I needed to go to a hospital for more care. So that is a cruise I will never forget. The Jewel was very new then.

Jan

Maybe this tube was just an elaborate attempt to smuggle alcohol onto the ship.

But seriously folks, we were on the Explorer during "The Great Propellor Incident of 2009". The "accident" occurred during dinner as we were leaving the Dominican Republic. The ship's shaking, although brief, was quite scary because we had never felt anything like it before. I can only imagine how scary it was during the dark morning hours when most people are still asleep. We always joked that we must have hit a whale. I had no idea that a Royal Caribbean ship had actually hit one.

I've never been aboard when a ship hit something, but one of the cruises I was on to Jamaica on the Navigator, we were heading into port and we felt the ship shake really bad.....turns out a cargo ship cut infront of us and we had to go in reverse quickly.

My sister had just turned 16 and she said the captain just slammed on the brakes. I still won't let her live that down!

The captain said the whale was dead when we picked it up. The poor whale was just hauled out to sea. Actually it was not all that healthy for me either. I fractured my foot going down the steps by the gifts shops and in St. John I was going to the hospital to have my foot taken care of. They took care of me on the ship, but the doctor felt I needed to go to a hospital for more care. So that is a cruise I will never forget. The Jewel was very new then.

Jan

Oh, that is awful!! I sure don't feel sorry for the whale anymore. :eek:

Hope your foot has healed completely and you don't suffer anymore affects.

I broke my foot on the dance floor (here locally) about 10 years ago. Yup, not fun.

Walking around in that wierd boot after the cast came off was just so fun too! ;)

Oh, that is awful!! I sure don't feel sorry for the whale anymore. :eek:

Hope your foot has healed completely and you don't suffer anymore affects.

I broke my foot on the dance floor (here locally) about 10 years ago. Yup, not fun.

Walking around in that wierd boot after the cast came off was just so fun too! ;)

The cruise was almost over, so I only had to hobble around for a few days. When we got home the doctor put the boot on in place of the cast and that was much better. The foot still bothers me now and then, like today. Its very cold in Wisconsin right now.

Jan

The cruise was almost over, so I only had to hobble around for a few days. When we got home the doctor put the boot on in place of the cast and that was much better. The foot still bothers me now and then, like today. Its very cold in Wisconsin right now.

Jan

I totally concur with Jan I see you are in Greendale we are in South Milwaukee, this cold is terrible! We are looking forward to being aboard Jewel soon!

Folks, I think now we got the final proof that there is an extension cord to provide the ship with electricity :D;)!!

steamboats

:D Now what I want to know is if Freedom class have gotten those elevators that will take me from the bow to the stern. I just packed my walking shoes for my aft balcony. ;)

I totally concur with Jan I see you are in Greendale we are in South Milwaukee, this cold is terrible! We are looking forward to being aboard Jewel soon!

Wow, its great to see someone so close to where we live. You are a little nearer the "lake" so you probably feel the cold more than we do. Although it was 9 above this morning and that's cold anywhere. I can't take the cold and that's why we are doing a B2B cruise in January.

Jan

Hi Janice,

How have you and Gil been. We think of you two quite often, especially when we look at Freedom pictures. I'm sp glad we ran into you. As you can see by the signature, we are 45 days out to sail on Oasis. It would be a hoot if you could join us. Can you believe it's been almost 2 years since we shared the dinner table?

Ken

Would guess there might be several changes in "status"

Hopefully the ship is fine. But would also think the investigation may result in a senior officer(s) having extensive explaining if the "pipe" was marked on any navigational charts.

I am actually from Colombia and visit a couple newspaper websites almost daily.

About a week ago, I read that they were either installing or relocating a two-foot diameter pipe that I think dumps sewage (hope it is pre-treated) deep into the ocean and well off the coast of Cartagena.

The next day the news came out that a segment of pipe approx. 100 meters in length had sunken...or they lost it somehow.

Don't want to speculate, but this is too much of a coincidence.....

About a week ago, I read that they were either installing or relocating a two-foot diameter pipe that I think dumps sewage (hope it is pre-treated) deep into the ocean and well off the coast of Cartagena.

The next day the news came out that a segment of pipe approx. 100 meters in length had sunken...or they lost it somehow.

You may have solved the mystery! :D Good job! :)

Are you serious?! :eek: Talk about crazy... and hilarious!

Kind of nasty, though.

I'll never complain about dodging mattresses on I-95 again.

...not much to dodge on I-95 if your stuck in the traffic! Doncha' just love the Beltway Shuffle to F'burg??? :rolleyes:

Did they forget where they left it. From the previous on-board post, it sounds like the pipe of fixed or stuck to something and immovable.

Okay.....not to derail the derail of the thread..........but, what is the current condition of the ship? Any damage, etc.?

At the "Welcome Back" party last night the Captain said divers inspected the ship in Cartagena and it was fine. The 2 foot wide flexible plastic pipe was indeed a sewage pipe being towed from Cartagena. It was half a KM long. The segment we hit and broke apart hit the front of the ship then wrapped around the starboard side. The Captain doesnt think it ever went under the ship. He said the authorities have been notified to come get this pipe. It was being towed out to sea and came loose.

Jan

I hear 'ya. When it gets cold down here, same thing.....a very achy foot. Of course cold down here is anything below 60! ;)

Right now it is 31 degrees this morning, and by next Tuesday.....a high of 42 and a low of 25. :eek: :eek: Ya' call this Florida??? :(

Records are being broken again. Global warming?? huh??

My sister lives in upstate Wisconsin (Mercer) and I think her high yesterday never made it over 10 degrees. They are snowblowing their driveway right now. But they sure have a pretty place in the summer!! You live in a beautiful state!

Archived