Magens Bay for beginner snorkelers?

DarceyJK

Hey! We are first time cruisers heading to St Thomas. I've read that Magen's Bay is overrated, but our cruise line (NCL) doesnt seem to be offering any alternative beach excursions except to St John, which we really arent interested in doing. Our crew consisnts of me, DH, and children: 21, 20, 14 & 14. My children have never snorkeled before so we would like to do some of that and just some hangin' on the beach. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

Have not been to Megans Bay but when we went to St Thomas did a lot of research and Megans Bay is suppose to be a nice beach but not one for snorkeling. Coki Beach or Saphire Beach were the ones recommended the most for snorkeling. We went to Coki and loved it.

The Ump

John

We're heading to Coki in a few weeks. Lots of youtube videos on the variety of coral and abundance of fish there. We went to Sapphire last time we were in St. Thomas, from what I've heard since the resort closed down it's kind of dumpy and nobody I've spoken to recommends going there.

OK - wow! I hadn't heard the resort closed down or that the beach wasn't being kept up!!! Thanx for the info!!

OK - wow! I hadn't heard the resort closed down or that the beach wasn't being kept up!!! Thanx for the info!!

Happy to help! My project last week was agonizing over this same decision and doing some digging for info. If someone else can benefit from it, all the better! :) Supposedly there's a disagreement going on between the land owners and the people who run/own the resort at Sapphire, so it's gone to he!! in the meantime.

Happy to help! My project last week was agonizing over this same decision and doing some digging for info. If someone else can benefit from it, all the better! :) Supposedly there's a disagreement going on between the land owners and the people who run/own the resort at Sapphire, so it's gone to he!! in the meantime.

I know what you're going thru - I've seen several of your posts/threads on the CC boards! We are first timers and I'm getting a bit nervous as I'm not too sure what to expect! LoL. I'm sure we will get thru it just fine!! I hope your cruise is Fantastic!!:)

You should think about doing the Coral World/Snorkeling combo, they are right next door to Coki. This gives you access to Coral World exhibits, use of their bathrooms & showers too, and provides nice sanitized snorkeling gear. The video on their website shows some fantastic snorkeling off of Coki.

http://coralworldvi.com/activities/coki-snorkel-package.html

They cleaned up Coki the last few months.

!

After a 14 year old girl tourist was killed near Coki Beach (last summer) when she got hit by a bullet from a drug related gun battle, the police have tried to clean up this part of St Thomas. For us, we still prefer to stay on the other side of the island away from the major tourist beaches and druggies. That being said, Coki is where we taught our daughter to snorkel (when she was 5) and it still has a place in our hearts. For those wanting to avoid the major tourist havens (often crowded with cruise passengers) we have a few recommendations. If docked at Crown Bay we like to go to nearby Emerald Beach (also called Lindberg Bay) which is only a 5 min ride from the port (you do not have to deal with the traffic in Charlotte Amalie). We have even walked to this beach from Crown Bay but do not recommend this walk because there are no sidewalks along the hilly road. For ships docked at Havensight we like Morningstar Beach which is only a few minutes from the port. If we want to snorkel we will still go out to Sapphire Beach...but the facilities at this beach have gone downhill since the resort ran into major financial trouble (known as bankruptcy). Sapphire does have some snorkeling and there is a dive shop by the beach which rents equipment. Sapphire Beach is a sad story since this could be one of the better beaches if it had some decent facilities. The view from the beach is great.

Hank

MamaPH: Sapphire is not closed down. The units there are individually owned, so it would be difficult to close. There IS a disagreement over some of the common area. However, there is still food and drink available, etc. You may be confusing this with the old Renaissance, which is indeed closed down. ;)

This is what Papa Bear (from Air Force One tours) sent when I inquired about Sapphire, "The facilities at Sapphire Beach are not that well kept. There's a big dispute between two companies.... the borrower and the lender, so until it's resolved, it doesn't look like the facilities at Sapphire Beach will be maintain anytime soon. However, the beach is beautiful."

There has not been a restaurant open at Sapphire the last two times we went, but the washrooms were open and reasonably clean (for a beach) and there was a grill open. The beach itself was clean and beautiful. there was a place to rent lounge chairs. That is all we need. Most importantly, it was not crowded. We love it there and it is perfect for snorkeling.:cool:

Archived