Is Mexico too dangerous to get off the boat?

NUEBIE CRUISER

Acapulco might be the one exception to the comment, though. Even in Acapulco, for the vast majority of passengers risks of being victimized are small. Independent travelers, passengers who like to leave the beaten path and explore some of these ports on their own are the ones who need to be more vigilent, however.

Why Acapulco? Because the state it is in, is a poppy growing area, as is much of the southern part of bordering Michoacan, the state in which Morelia is in.

But ... and another 'but' ... what's happening in Mexico is not happening anyplace in the United States ... so comments indicating Mexico, overall, is as safe as "home" are a bit ridiculous.

Away from the border of the USA and Mexico, I'd feel safer anywhere in Mexico then I would in certain areas of the south side of Chicago and Gary, Indiana.

I was in Michoacan earlier this year. I purposely avoided the southern part of the state.

Everyplace you go has some risk. Everyplace you go requires vigilance.

I see folks say "I'm not getting off the ship here" or there. I wonder why they take a cruise.

Hugh in Dallas.

Hi all!

I would get off the ship, Mexico's amazing! Just be careful & don't be flashy with money or jewelery.

I let a trip to Tijuana in 1967 scare me away from Mexico until 2006 when I went on a Mexican Riviera cruise & liked it so much I returned with DH to PV for a week at an AI. The next year we went to Cancun. This year he's talking about perhaps going to Mazatlan.

Go & have a great time.

~Jo~ :)

gomexico, who hails from the murder capital of the US, has once again gone off on his typical anti-Mexico rant based on his experiences in Mexico City. :confused: He can't seem to stay on subject ... that being the safety of the primary cruise ship ports - Cabo san Lucas, Mazatlan & Puerto Vallarta.

We aren't in the business of promoting tourism in Mexico, we are in the business of telling cruisers the truth about the cities listed above.

We are not painting all of Mexico as a tourist destination and, unlike you, we don't paint all of Mexico as a war zone where every man, women and child lives in fear for their lives every waking moment of their life.

As a frequent, extended-stay visitor to Vallarta, I can tell you that I would be very happy to have the all of you stay on the ship. Too many people in town when there are ship's in port and too many of you start coming back for vacations. This quiet, well kept secret vacation spot, is gettin over-built. ;)

But ... if your here, get off the ship and enjoy yourself.

To the OP I was in Mexico in October and did a "self guided tour". At no time did I feel unsafe or in danger.

Any time you are in a foreign place you should always be vigilant and be aware of where you are. Certainly you are responsible for your safety and the US State Department's warnings do not come without warrant. It comes down to what you are comfortable with.

I would suggest doing more research on your travel in these areas instead of listening to people on here who tell you that you will be fine. There is a State Department warning for a reason.

I know from the daily reports I see that Mazatlan has issues with Los Zetas in that city right now. Acapulco is another city that is having issues. And when I say "issues", I don't mean you might get pick-pocketed. There are gun battles down there as the cartels attempt to take control of certain areas.

Generally, the cruise port areas are safe. I would just suggest doing some more research on your own on this subject.

I would suggest doing more research on your travel in these areas instead of listening to people on here who tell you that you will be fine. There is a State Department warning for a reason.

I know from the daily reports I see that Mazatlan has issues with Los Zetas in that city right now. Acapulco is another city that is having issues. And when I say "issues", I don't mean you might get pick-pocketed. There are gun battles down there as the cartels attempt to take control of certain areas.

Generally, the cruise port areas are safe. I would just suggest doing some more research on your own on this subject.

I have trouble accepting your theory. What research is going to tell you if the cartels will be having a shoot-out on the day you are there. They don't do these things on schedule.

A better suggestion is -- If you are afraid, don't book a trip to Mexico. Go somewhere else because you won't enjoy Mexico anyway.

If you are not afraid, book the trip and enjoy it.

If you are not sure, book the trip and take your chances. You may survive and enjoy it. I have--Many times.

I have trouble accepting your theory. What research is going to tell you if the cartels will be having a shoot-out on the day you are there. They don't do these things on schedule.

A better suggestion is -- If you are afraid, don't book a trip to Mexico. Go somewhere else because you won't enjoy Mexico anyway.

If you are not sure, book the trip and take your chances. You may survive and enjoy it. I have--Many times.

Thanks SW :) You were far nicer about posting then I would have been.

I wanted to say turn off Faux News, Cnn and other such *news sites* and actually go and explore these great port cities.

I think close minded people have their minds made up about the horrible war torn Mexico with all of the Mexican nationals that are all drug cartel. No matter how much you , I, or the few other posters come on to say actually PV, Mazatlan, Cabo are safe to explore.....well the close minded lot have their minds made up that they are going to get off the ship and be killed in a gun shoot out before they leave the cruise tender:rolleyes:

As for me???? I am going on a cruise to Aca, Zihua, PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo in less then three weeks, I am going to be going off of the local cruise circuit and I am going to come back alive, no gun shot wounds from Cartel fighting, no credit card scamming to give the best trip report EVER :D

I am not asking you to accept my "theory". There are open source reports out there for the OP to check out if they want. If they don't - fine. For people to say that Mexico is just as safe as the US is just incorrect. There is a spike in violence, especially in certain parts of Mexico, which is why the State Department has issued the warning. It is not limited to the border. Mazatlan and Acapulco are two areas with a spike right now.

If the OP has concerns, she should be informed - not afraid. When I go to Mexico, do I get off the ship? Yes. Would I get off in Mazatlan and go on some side tour. No. But to each his own.

Thanks SW :) You were far nicer about posting then I would have been.

I wanted to say turn off Faux News, Cnn and other such *news sites* and actually go and explore these great port cities.

I think close minded people have their minds made up about the horrible war torn Mexico with all of the Mexican nationals that are all drug cartel. No matter how much you , I, or the few other posters come on to say actually PV, Mazatlan, Cabo are safe to explore.....well the close minded lot have their minds made up that they are going to get off the ship and be killed in a gun shoot out before they leave the cruise tender:rolleyes:

As for me???? I am going on a cruise to Aca, Zihua, PV, Mazatlan, and Cabo in less then three weeks, I am going to be going off of the local cruise circuit and I am going to come back alive, no gun shot wounds from Cartel fighting, no credit card scamming to give the best trip report EVER :D

Have fun, and good luck.

I am not asking you to accept my "theory". There are open source reports out there for the OP to check out if they want. If they don't - fine. For people to say that Mexico is just as safe as the US is just incorrect. There is a spike in violence, especially in certain parts of Mexico, which is why the State Department has issued the warning. It is not limited to the border. Mazatlan and Acapulco are two areas with a spike right now.

If the OP has concerns, she should be informed - not afraid. When I go to Mexico, do I get off the ship? Yes. Would I get off in Mazatlan and go on some side tour. No. But to each his own.

I don't anyone is saying that All of the country of Mexico is safer than ALL of the country of the US. There are CITIES in both countries that have higher issues with crime though that is a FACT. What most of us are trying to say is that just because some CITIES are having issues that does not mean that the entire COUNTRY is. That would be a ridiculous statement and would just as bad as telling the rest of the world not to visit a single city in the US because there is crime in East LA or in New Orleans.

Another FACT is that there is less crime in most of the tourist towns in Mexico than there are in most of the tourist cities in the US. I would never venture off alone in Seattle or San Francisco at night but feel totally comfortable doing so in Cabo.

"open source reports "

Do you mean the media. LOL

Better if you talk to people who actually live here.

Yes, the ones showing the pictures of the decapitated bodies or the bodies hanging from the overpasses (daily). The ones reporting the shootouts between rival cartels or shootouts between the cartels and the military. The ones reporting the roadblocks set up by the cartels which are stopping busses, or the bus drivers caught carrying drugs at the military checkpoints. Yes, the ones showing this happening in Mazatlan, but maybe not in your neck of the woods in PV. But, maybe this is all fabricated and the State Department doesn't know what it is talking about.

Yes, the ones showing the pictures of the decapitated bodies or the bodies hanging from the overpasses (daily). The ones reporting the shootouts between rival cartels or shootouts between the cartels and the military. The ones reporting the roadblocks set up by the cartels which are stopping busses, or the bus drivers caught carrying drugs at the military checkpoints. Yes, the ones showing this happening in Mazatlan, but maybe not in your neck of the woods in PV. But, maybe this is all fabricated and the State Department doesn't know what it is talking about.

I don't need to talk to the people that live in PV, I am informed.

All of the above actually happened in touristy Mazatlan???? Please provide links.....

I think you do need to talk to the people that live there....but something tells me your mind is already set on painting all of Mexico with the same brush.

FYI Don't come to Vancouver BC anytime soon, a well established higher end neighbourhood just had a huge gang shoot out leaving 10 people badly hurt, Vancouver also has more yearly murders then Mazatlan, PV and Cabo combined. Something I am sure your area of the States has never seen :rolleyes:

I don't anyone is saying that All of the country of Mexico is safer than ALL of the country of the US. There are CITIES in both countries that have higher issues with crime though that is a FACT. What most of us are trying to say is that just because some CITIES are having issues that does not mean that the entire COUNTRY is. That would be a ridiculous statement and would just as bad as telling the rest of the world not to visit a single city in the US because there is crime in East LA or in New Orleans.

Another FACT is that there is less crime in most of the tourist towns in Mexico than there are in most of the tourist cities in the US. I would never venture off alone in Seattle or San Francisco at night but feel totally comfortable doing so in Cabo.

Vey well and nicely said :)

I wander about PV all the time at night but would not so in Vancouver (certain areas I don't even walk about during the day).

All of the above actually happened in touristy Mazatlan???? Please provide links.....

I think you do need to talk to the people that live there....but something tells me your mind is already set on painting all of Mexico with the same brush.

FYI Don't come to Vancouver BC anytime soon, a well established higher end neighbourhood just had a huge gang shoot out leaving 10 people badly hurt, Vancouver also has more yearly murders then Mazatlan, PV and Cabo combined. Something I am sure your area of the States has never seen :rolleyes:

Come on Q, why bother ... They are "informed"! What more can you add to the wealth of knowledge they currently have.

Then again ... Sun is shining here, 18 degrees F, but the sun is shining. Not a good day for the beach as it is a little stiff along with the water!

73 and calm at Cafe Roma. :cool: Think I'll grab a frosty Pacifico outa the fridge and stand in front of the fireplace & try to get warm. ;)

I'm in Manzanillo, it has been sunny and 85 everyday for the past several weeks and will be for then next few months! I take the bus all around the city almost everyday and do my shopping in a local village. I feel very safe day and night, in fact, it seems people keep watch over me because I am a "dumb gringa!" <And I don't take that as an insult:)

Yes, there is alot of violence in Mexico but it is generally aimed at those who are involved in politics, law, or drugs. They don't walk into a shopping mall, church, or school and just randomly shoot people like we do in the US. If you are murdered here, there is a reason. As a white person who is not involved in anything shady, I am not a target. They also don't want to kidnap/harm tourists as we are more bother than we are worth!

Use common sense but don't let "fear" keep you from having a good time.

"Yes, there is alot of violence in Mexico but it is generally aimed at those who are involved in politics, law, or drugs."

The goal of the terrorists isn't only to kill the "bad guys" who compete with them, but to instill terror in the general population. The terror sometimes takes the form of killing or wounding innocent people, for no good reason, or just to create a climate of fear, terror.

"They don't walk into a shopping mall, church, or school and just randomly shoot people like we do in the US."

Yes they have. Yes they do.

"If you are murdered here, there is a reason."

Many innocent people have been wounded or killed. It's not just some of the "bad guys" who are dying.

"As a white person who is not involved in anything shady, I am not a target."

Terrorists don't stop to check the identity cards of people. Not all Mexicans are brown, black or dark. Many are "white," probably not much different than you. There are blond hair and blue eyed Mexicans ... Mexicans of all sizes, shapes and colors. A "white person" has no special immunity if they're present during a fire-fight or when someone tosses a grenade into a crowded plaza.

They also don't want to kidnap/harm tourists as we are more bother than we are worth!

Tell that to the families of the 8 tourists kidnapped and still missing in Manzanillo, or the families of the 20 kidnapped then murdered tourists in Acapulco. Many of the crimes are ones of "opportunity," and the terrorists aren't likely to check everyone's ID cards to see who they are and where they come from.

Good advice. Educate yourself about the war in Mexico and the risks that are present in certain locations before traveling there. Wherever you go - danger zones or ones that aren't considered so - remain aware of your surroundings and try to keep up to date with local news reports. And, above all - do everything you can to enjoy yourself!

We are booked on HAL to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas) on 01/08/11. I've read the State Department warnings about Mexico and I must say that they are alarming. My husband says we aren't getting off the ship in Mexico. I feel that if we book excursions from the cruise line that they wouldn't put you in harm's way. Does anyone have anymore info?

"They don't walk into a shopping mall, church, or school and just randomly shoot people like we do in the US."

Yes they do.

gomexico ... do you think you can answer the original question?

The lady is going to be at Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. Is it too dangerous in those locations for her and her family to get off the ship?

Well, had you read the discussion in its entirety you probably would have noticed that I did provide an response to the original question.

However, discussions almost always evolve as more people participate and new responses are added.

My most recent comments directly responded to statements someone else made - statements I clearly identified ... so that there would be no confusion.

I thank you for your concern, though, that I may have overlooked the opportunity to comment earlier in the discussion.

"Yes, there is alot of violence in Mexico but it is generally aimed at those who are involved in politics, law, or drugs."

The goal of the terrorists isn't only to kill the "bad guys" who compete with them, but to instill terror in the general population. The terror sometimes takes the form of killing or wounding innocent people, for no good reason, or just to create a climate of fear, terror.

Yes they have. Yes they do.

"If you are murdered here, there is a reason."

Many innocent people have been wounded or killed. It's not just some of the "bad guys" who are dying.

"As a white person who is not involved in anything shady, I am not a target."

Terrorists don't stop to check the identity cards of people. Not all Mexicans are brown, black or dark. Many are "white," probably not much different than you. There are blond hair and blue eyed Mexicans ... Mexicans of all sizes, shapes and colors. A "white person" has no special immunity if they're present during a fire-fight or when someone tosses a grenade into a crowded plaza.

They also don't want to kidnap/harm tourists as we are more bother than we are worth!

Tell that to the families of the 8 tourists kidnapped and still missing in Manzanillo, or the families of the 20 kidnapped then murdered tourists in Acapulco. Many of the crimes are ones of "opportunity," and the terrorists aren't likely to check everyone's ID cards to see who they are and where they come from.

Good advice. Educate yourself about the war in Mexico and the risks that are present in certain locations before traveling there. Wherever you go - danger zones or ones that aren't considered so - remain aware of your surroundings and try to keep up to date with local news reports. And, above all - do everything you can to enjoy yourself!

Wow- do you live here in Mexico or just read the reports from the "safe haven" of Chicago? Where I am there is absolutely no fear or terror. The "tourists" that are missing in both Manzanillo and Acapulco were all involved in some unsavory business. They were not just a family of folks who wandered off the cruise ship. 20 men who rented vans and went on vacation together without their spouses or significant others and had no luggage seems a bit odd, don't you think? I will gracefully bow out of any more discussions on this topic and go enjoy the peace and calm in my little corner of the world.

"The "tourists" that are missing in both Manzanillo and Acapulco were all involved in some unsavory business. They were not just a family of folks who wandered off the cruise ship. 20 men who rented vans and went on vacation together without their spouses or significant others and had no luggage seems a bit odd, don't you think?"

Karen: your information about the kidnapped and murdered tourists in Acapulco is wrong. Their families and their government have demonstrated that they were innocent and not in any way, at any time, involved in wrongful behavior. They were, pure and simple ... tourists ... in the wrong place at the wrong time, just like other tourists who have been victimized in other ways. Victims of crimes of opportunity and which cannot be forseen ahead of time. The Mexican government has acknowledged that these were tourists. The terrorist leader who was subsequently arrested in a different military action has publicly stated that he and his people mistook the tourists for rival gang members - that they were kidnapped, and later murdered when it was discovered they'd (the terrorists) made a mistake.

The 8 other tourists kidnapped in Manzanillo remain missing best I can recollect - unless you have an update from your home town.

Your earlier comments were phrased/written in a broad general manner and that's how I've replied. You may have missed my earlier comments responding to the OP in the discussion which were more specifically directed.

I think your sources of information about the war and associated terrorist activities taking place in Mexico are not very accurate.

Have a joyous holiday.

"The "tourists" that are missing in both Manzanillo and Acapulco were all involved in some unsavory business. They were not just a family of folks who wandered off the cruise ship. 20 men who rented vans and went on vacation together without their spouses or significant others and had no luggage seems a bit odd, don't you think?"

Karen: your information about the kidnapped and murdered tourists in Acapulco is wrong. Their families and their government have demonstrated that they were innocent and not in any way, at any time, involved in wrongful behavior. They were, pure and simple ... tourists ... in the wrong place at the wrong time, just like other tourists who have been victimized in other ways. Victims of crimes of opportunity and which cannot be forseen ahead of time. The Mexican government has acknowledged that these were tourists. The terrorist leader who was subsequently arrested in a different military action has publicly stated that he and his people mistook the tourists for rival gang members - that they were kidnapped, and later murdered when it was discovered they'd (the terrorists) made a mistake.

The 8 other tourists kidnapped in Manzanillo remain missing best I can recollect - unless you have an update from your home town.

Your earlier comments were phrased/written in a broad general manner and that's how I've replied. You may have missed my earlier comments responding to the OP in the discussion which were more specifically directed.

I think your sources of information about the war and associated terrorist activities taking place in Mexico are not very accurate.

Have a joyous holiday.

Where can a person obtain accurate information on this type of activity ?

I have a similar problem in the Los Angeles area, because nearly all of those killed in gang violence are reported as "good family men" "innocent bystanders" and "not gang members". I would like to find a reliable accurate source of information for both Mexico and California.

Perhaps that would allow me to assure my safety in both places.

I am not going to beat a dead horse here. I see reports about the violence and drug seizures listed by each state in Mexico, so I have better information than "I have been there and nothing has happened to me". If you feel safe in Mexico - great!

To the OP: Nobody can answer the question you posed except you. Here are some facts:

1) There is a State Department warning in effect

2) Mazatlan is in the state of Sinaloa. The Sinaloa cartel is at "war" with other cartels and innocent people are dying.

3) Mazatlan and Acapulco are experiencing a spike in violence.

As for the other ports you are going to visit, do some research. Even if it is to google "Mazatlan violence", or whatever port you are visiting. See for yourself. Then make an informed decision.

Have fun with whatever you do. I know I will be on my two upcoming Mexico cruises!

Come on Q, why bother ... They are "informed"! What more can you add to the wealth of knowledge they currently have.

LOL I know I know, it's funny because certain posters know if they posted such dribble on TA forums, the DE's and regular posters would soon reveal it for the nonsense it is, which explains why certain posters won't or can no longer post on TA.

Then again ... Sun is shining here, 18 degrees F, but the sun is shining. Not a good day for the beach as it is a little stiff along with the water!

Ummm I was feeling sorry for myself because it is 38 here and *I* thought that was cold :eek:

73 and calm at Cafe Roma. :cool: Think I'll grab a frosty Pacifico outa the fridge and stand in front of the fireplace & try to get warm.

Tequila works better and is tastier...:D...I will make sure Mr.QT has one at Roma's for you in a few weeks provided I am not gunned down on the streets of PV

;)

I so can not wait for this cruise

Archived