Gem delay for 12/11/10 sailing

Planer's Edge

From Norwegian's Facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/n...s/472161282619

Important Information for 12/11 Embarking @NCLFreestyle Gem Guests

by Norwegian Cruise Line on Friday, December 10, 2010 at 11:06am

Because of a late departure leaving dry dock in Boston, Norwegian Gem will arrive later than scheduled into New York on Saturday, December 11. The ship is now scheduled to arrive at 5 pm on Saturday afternoon. Embarkation for guests sailing on Norwegian Gem’s December 11 Bahamas & Florida cruise is delayed and will begin at 5 pm. The ship is scheduled to depart New York at 7 pm.

The ship’s itinerary has been changed to accommodate the new departure time:

Saturday, December 11: New York departure at 7 p.m.

Sunday, December 12: at sea

Monday, December 13: at sea

Tuesday, December 14: Orlando (Port Canaveral), FL from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Wednesday, December 15: Nassau, Bahamas from Noon to 10 p.m.

Thursday, December 16: at sea

Friday, December 17: at sea

Saturday, December 18: New York arrival at 8 a.m.

Guests will receive an onboard credit of $100 per stateroom.

Norwegian Gem entered dry dock later than originally scheduled because of a crane collapse at the dry dock facility. We sincerely believed we would have made up for the delayed entry into the dry dock. However, in spite of our very best efforts, that has not been the case.

Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for this delay. We appreciate our guests understanding and cooperation.

###

Personally' date=' I see a bit more of a delay here. How can they possibly board all the passengers and their luggage in 2 hours?[/color']

PE

I'm sure you are right. They just want to have everyone there ready to go, probably so that pier personnel can complete check-in and leave, and have all checked bags ready to load.

The new itinerary means that we have ample time to get to Port Canaveral. We can travel leisurely to 'break-in' new thrust bearings.

I know this sucks for those traveling, but you really have to feel for some of NCL's staff. Another week of shuffling things around and dealing with unhappy customers. Better than last week, but still some real hassles.

Like a few others posted - no way in h e l l are they gonna turn that thing around in two hours. Why would they even post that?

Personally' date=' I see a bit more of a delay here. How can they possibly board all the passengers and their luggage in 2 hours?

PE[/color']

I agree... I thought there was also a regulation about having everyone on board a certain time before the ship can leave the dock.

From NCL's FAQs --

In order to facilitate the embarkation process and the processing of your eDocs, and to comply with new government regulations governing departure manifest, all guests are required to complete Online Check-In at least one day prior to sailing and must complete check-in at the cruise terminal and be onboard the ship no later than one hour prior to the departure time noted on their cruise documents or they will not be permitted to sail.

Under this "requirement", all guests must be checked in and onboard by 6pm (within one hour) for a 7pm departure! It will be interesting to see how well they stick to that schedule!

To all the folks leaving tomorrow on the Gem - have a great trip and leave her in good shape for us next week!

Gary, I'm no expert but why would the 2 hours be a problem? It's coming from the shipyard so there are no passengers to offload, no rooms to clean, etc?

They would still have to load all the luggage and provisions. I'm not sure if they are planning on taking on fuel, but I agree two hours is way to cautiously optomistic. Hopefully all goes well, and everyone has a great cruise.

Can we request a full refund because of this? I mean it does change things quite a bit. Personally based on the weather this upcoming week, i rather go to warmer skies.

Nice try, but no. Unforutnately mother nature doesn't factor into this.

Use the $100 to get a weekly spa pass. It's nice and warm up there! Make the best of it and have a good time.:)

They would still have to load all the luggage and provisions. I'm not sure if they are planning on taking on fuel, but I agree two hours is way to cautiously optomistic. Hopefully all goes well, and everyone has a great cruise.

Would they load the provision in Boston?

I am on this cruise. And I plan on having a great time! I look at it this way... at least I don't have to wake up at an ungodly hour in the morning! lol I can sleep in late, take my time getting to the pier, have a late dinner and party late into the night... sounds good!!

We had this same type of delay on RCI last cruise. It didn't ruin the trip by any means but we did miss lounging on board the first day. (see my EXPLORER trip report in my sig)

By the way, kudos to NCL for the upfront OBC. RCI handled the delay really well but did nada to address the lost time.

We're on the Gem in April as our first on NCL and I'm looking forward to giving NCL a try.

I think being the ship is coming in empty they will do this in 2 hours, 3 at the most.

I am glad they dropped GSC instead of Nassau like they did on the Jewel. It's not hot

enough for GSC. Weather looks okay for both ports. Sunny both days.

Going to Universal Studios so it's a perfect day and Nassau the Atlantis.

We are only losing 3 hours. This is alot better then what happened to the Jewel last week.

We still get 7 nights. Sleep in late have a nice dinner on board then enjoy the ship at night late into the night. We are going on vacation. Plus 100 OBC is fair.

I know all long this was going to happen gut feeling. Now I am watching the live krooz-cams to see it leave HURRY UP GEM

Safe travels

Dave

Nice try, but no. Unforutnately mother nature doesn't factor into this.

Use the $100 to get a weekly spa pass. It's nice and warm up there! Make the best of it and have a good time.:)

And leave the other person in the cabin with no $$?

The $100 is pretty generous! Carnival completely CANCELED a cruise I was going on just 10 days before it was scheduled to leave and didn't offer any OBC! In fact I lost $75 in OBC because they are being pains about honoring the FCC I had for that cruise on my next one. Go NCL!

It does seem to sound alot better now that i think about it. I wasn't planning to get there till like 2 so not much of a time difference really.. although fitting in that many people in 2 hours is not happening lol

Sleeping in later always good, plus weather gsc is a bit on the chilly side although nassau is only suppose to be high of 70 so still sorta cold hopefully we get a warm stream so i can atleast beach one day :p

I was on the jewel in may and had a blast so i'm sure gem will be just as fun :) I'm sure a nice bottle of wine and room service will make it even better during the cold

From Norwegian's Facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/n...s/472161282619

Important Information for 12/11 Embarking @NCLFreestyle Gem Guests

by Norwegian Cruise Line on Friday' date=' December 10, 2010 at 11:06am[/color']

Because of a late departure leaving dry dock in Boston, Norwegian Gem will arrive later than scheduled into New York on Saturday, December 11. The ship is now scheduled to arrive at 5 pm on Saturday afternoon. Embarkation for guests sailing on Norwegian Gem’s December 11 Bahamas & Florida cruise is delayed and will begin at 5 pm. The ship is scheduled to depart New York at 7 pm.

The ship’s itinerary has been changed to accommodate the new departure time:

Saturday, December 11: New York departure at 7 p.m.

Sunday, December 12: at sea

Monday, December 13: at sea

Tuesday, December 14: Orlando (Port Canaveral), FL from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Wednesday, December 15: Nassau, Bahamas from Noon to 10 p.m.

Thursday, December 16: at sea

Friday, December 17: at sea

Saturday, December 18: New York arrival at 8 a.m.

Guests will receive an onboard credit of $100 per stateroom.

Norwegian Gem entered dry dock later than originally scheduled because of a crane collapse at the dry dock facility. We sincerely believed we would have made up for the delayed entry into the dry dock. However, in spite of our very best efforts, that has not been the case.

Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for this delay. We appreciate our guests understanding and cooperation.

###

Sailed the Gem on 11/27 and we were delayed after returning to NYC due to a sick passenger. We left well after 7pm and made it to Orlando by noon on Monday. To me this smells of a just an extra sea-day to generate more income! I don't like the approach of what NCL is pulling ................

Archived