more than 2 bottles of wine

scoob

We took 4 bottles, 2 in our carry on and two in our checked bags - they did not take away the two extra bottles. But it's funny, we didn't even drink them because we had the premium drink package, no need to open our own wine. We drank them during our post cruise stay in San Juan!

As with many regulations, this one is enforced through "spot checking" meaning that not all bags are checked, but yours might be. If it is found that you have brought more than the allowed amount, it is possible that you will have the excess taken and not returned to you, or taken and returned the last night. Both consequences have been known to happen.

As with many regulations, this one is enforced through "spot checking" meaning that not all bags are checked, but yours might be. If it is found that you have brought more than the allowed amount, it is possible that you will have the excess taken and not returned to you, or taken and returned the last night. Both consequences have been known to happen.

We actually were spot checked - and we got a note on our door that said we had to come down and retrieve our last bag. We assumed it was because of the extra two bottles of wine (we carried the first two on). It turned out not to be the wine, we had toured the Bacardi rum factory the day before and had 5 little sample bottles of rums in a nice container. We had forgotten about them and that's what they took away. We kept our 4 bottles.

And to the next poster - you can only bring wine on at embarkation, not every couple of days. They scan your bags when you get back on the ship at port and will take away any alchohol - we did see this happen.

Is this a one time check or on a daily basis.

Can I bring a couple of bottles on board every few days

Brian

You're only allowed to bring on wine at initial embarkation. They absolutely check at every single port. You have to walk through a scanner and hand over your bags for scanning every time you get on the ship. If you have liquor or wine they will hold it until the last night of the cruise.

Is this a one time check or on a daily basis.

Can I bring a couple of bottles on board every few days

Brian

When you return on board after a port, you have to go through security and the xray machine. They take, and keep, bottles bought in ports.

When we embarked in FLL on Nov 20th for our Connie cruise, the scanners weren't operational due to a problem with credit card swipers. This caused a long delay, so the scanners were never deployed. I was told about this by someone already on board, and walked on with 10 bottles of champagne. I paid the corkage fee each night to enjoy MY selection. NO problem.

As insurance, I had a couple of my roll call mates agree to help me get my champs on the ship.

And, in a couple of ports, if you wait until close to sailing time, the table to turn in liquor purchases may have been taken down. If there is no table, head for your cabin with your liquor. This happened to me twice on that cruise. NO problem.

It is a crap-shoot; sometimes you win, and sometimes THEY win.

How strict are they if you bring on board more than 2 bottles of wine?

You are only allowed 2 bottles and they will take the rest away and return at the end of the trip. Strictly enforced. Sorry!:mad:

pmsdebbie appears to have had some really bad luck. More than two bottles has never been a problem for me. Although I would not be surprised if she has even tried to bring on more than two bottles.

I try never to be more than two bottles in any one carryon bag or any one piece of checked luggage. I cannot even imagine anyone trying to keep track of how many bottles are in one cabin over several different bags. That has been my experience.

We have brought as many as 4 bottles at embarkation - we each carried 2 bottles in our carry on luggage. we went thru security separately and it wasn't a problem.

We have brought wine on board in some of the ports and sometimes they take it and sometimes they don't.

This has been our experience too. We were on a B2B and bought wine at a port, anticipating having it returned to us at the end of the first cruise so we could take it on the second. We carried it quite openly in a wine store bag, and were just waved through. We were surprised, and would not rely on this happening again.

Sheila

we carried on two bottles each, no problem. We also bought wine in each port, to take home, didn't plan on drinking it on board, but also didn't want to go through the hassle of checking it in, but we were prepared to surrender it. we needn't have worried, they didn't say a word except in Madeira, where they did take our bottles of port, but let me keep my beer:) & liquors. We ended up with about 12 bottles of wine stored in our cabin. I have a feeling that the cruise itinerary makes a big difference in how strict they are.

Archived