Arrival time in Galveston

JimInBuffalo

We are taking a cruise on the Ecstacy in Feb. 2011 with our DD and her family. We are coming from two different cities and meeting at the airport in Houston (Hobby). Our plane gets in before noon, however, theirs is not arriving until 1:00 PM.

I am wondering what the latest time readers of this post have been able to arrive at the port in Galveston and still make the 4PM departure.

At this time, it seems like it would be no problem as long as the plane is on time but I want to know what to expect in the worst case scenario.

Also, what would you recommend as the best method of transfer to the port. We are leaning toward using Super Shuttle since there will be siz of us.

Thanks in advance for all the advice you can provide.

-Jim In Buffalo (sunny and 30 degrees with six inches of snow on the ground in Buffalo today)

Carnival says they have to check in 90 minutes ahead of time, but they actually have until 60 minutes before the ship can pull away before they close and lock the doors and submit the final manifest .. or so I understand the process.

Man, to me that is cutting things way too short. Id be such a nervous wreck with meeting a shuttle, what happens if wires get crossed, I might find a taxi who would do it. Thats too close for comfort for me. .. and it wouldnt be cheap, but if they cant come in the night before I personally would hate to have to meet someone and get to the port.

It is up to you. There are shuttles and limos of course. Maybe a limo as it would be cheaper than a taxi, but nothing is cheap compared to say port canaveral.

Also, what would you recommend as the best method of transfer to the port. We are leaning toward using Super Shuttle since there will be siz of us.

-Jim In Buffalo (sunny and 30 degrees with six inches of snow on the ground in Buffalo today)

Jim, I would not recommend you use Super Shuttle. That is almost a sure way to miss out on a nice cruise since they operate vans that take folks door to door and you might wind up with 4 other stops, way out of the way to Galveston, if you already have 6 people that are going to port. Their vans sit 10 and of course, they claim they rarely are full but I would avoid that. Better get a limo from Towne Car Service or Carey or any other that service the airport and see if they can provide you with a stretch. Galveston Limo is the same story, door to door service.

I agree with Firefly, the night before is better and a 1300 hour HOU arrival is cutting it too close, especially when coming from colder climates in the heart of winter...

Have a great cruise!

We are taking a cruise on the Ecstacy in Feb. 2011 with our DD and her family. We are coming from two different cities and meeting at the airport in Houston (Hobby). Our plane gets in before noon, however, theirs is not arriving until 1:00 PM.

I am wondering what the latest time readers of this post have been able to arrive at the port in Galveston and still make the 4PM departure.

At this time, it seems like it would be no problem as long as the plane is on time but I want to know what to expect in the worst case scenario.

You are cutting it way too close. Google maps show it as a little over an hour drive from Houston Hobby to Galveston. That would put you at the port a little after 2pm and that does not allow for time deplaning, collecting luggage and waiting on the shuttle or car rental. I would give that another 1 hour total. That puts you on the dock at 3pm Throw in an air traffic delay, aircraft delay for wx or any other burp and you will be watching your ship sail off into the sunset from the dock.

Wow... that 1 PM flight is a bit scary. If the bird is on time, off the jet, gather up luggage and now you've burned an additional 45 minutes. The ride to Galveston is an hour if there are no delays... that makes your DD at the terminal at about 3 PM... if nothing goes wrong.

Is there ANY chance for an earlier flight? Are you sure y'all want to chance the weather in the north east with that slim a margin??

Should you not be able to change plans at all Carnival has a number to call if there are issues getting to the port on time... 877-885-4865. They might wait a bit for their arrival but there's no guarantee...

Best of luck!

Archived