Windsurf - Just Back and it was Great!

Ontario Traveller

Just back from the Windsurf (from Barbados) and it was great. Happy to report that we didn't notice any cutbacks, etc. In fact, it was even better (if that's possible) than when we went on this ship 2 years ago. The food was great, the service was fantastic. The material condition of the ship (exterior metal areas) was noticeably improved from 2 years ago, when there seemed to be a lot of rust and dirt. Lots of busy seamen painting and cleaning.

The deck loungers were very comfortable. A good band was playing in the Lounge. There is a good future cruise program -- worth checking out.

Happy to say that you can now swim off the back of the Windsurf. I understand that this was always availalbe on the 2 smaller ships, but now they've installed a metal mesh on the sides of the Windsurf water sports platform so it's also now swimmable. Watersports platform was open almost everyday. We watched the Captain go windsurfing!

Looking forward to going again someday!

Just back from the Windsurf (from Barbados) and it was great. Happy to report that we didn't notice any cutbacks, etc. In fact, it was even better (if that's possible) than when we went on this ship 2 years ago. The food was great, the service was fantastic. The material condition of the ship (exterior metal areas) was noticeably improved from 2 years ago, when there seemed to be a lot of rust and dirt. Lots of busy seamen painting and cleaning.

The deck loungers were very comfortable. A good band was playing in the Lounge. There is a good future cruise program -- worth checking out.

Happy to say that you can now swim off the back of the Windsurf. I understand that this was always availalbe on the 2 smaller ships, but now they've installed a metal mesh on the sides of the Windsurf water sports platform so it's also now swimmable. Watersports platform was open almost everyday. We watched the Captain go windsurfing!

Looking forward to going again someday!

Good to hear. We are sailing aboard the Wind Spirit in Jan/11 and are looking forward to it.

We will be on the Surf early January (first timers)! Can you recommend any excursions? Was the ship full and if so could you still find some out of the way spots on deck? Heck, I would love any tips.

Also, did you find it as we are hoping, (not like regular cruise lines) no large lines, pushy photographers, chair hogs, etc?

I'm sure no matter what, January in the Caribbean can only be fabulous right?

Hi, this will be our third Windstar cruise, although first on the Windsurf. We are cruising Jan 2 and I am curious as to which Barbados itinerary you sailed? If you ported on Pigeon island did you spend the day there? Any suggestions for Ile des Saintes ? Could you tell me if there were any scuba excursions off the ship? On the Costa Rica cruise it turned out that the ship had unadvertised dive masters who organized some great dives in addition to those listed as shore excursions. Thanks for any info. Shirley

Let's see. We did the southern route, which is the smaller islands/ports. Both Windsurf itineraries stop at Pigeon Island St Lucia -- it is the beach barBQ day, which they really did an excellent job on. Our itinerary didn't go to Iles des Saintes, although I hear it is a well-liked port. There was NOT diving off the back of the ship. We did a ship's excursion I can recommend, and that was the catamaran snorkel trip to Tobago Cays when on Mayreau. Mostly we just walked around on the various islands.

The ship was not full. But don't worry, it is a totally different cruise experience from the big ships. No lineups. Surprisingly lots of places to sit/lounge on deck. Never felt crowded. There is a ship's photographer, but not pushy like on the big ships. The staff were, to a person, wonderful. They really make the difference.

Enjoy your trips!

Oh yes, you're right. January in the Caribbean will be fabulous!

And Shirley, although there isn't diving off the back of the boat, be sure to get out there and enjoy the watersports. There is swimming, windsurfing, kayaking, and water skiing. For swimming, they have a big floating mat to lay out on, and also a huge water ring that is a trampoline with a waterslide -- kind of hard to describe.

There is swimming, windsurfing, kayaking, and water skiing. For swimming, they have a big floating mat to lay out on, and also a huge water ring that is a trampoline with a waterslide -- kind of hard to describe.

Maybe I can help :-) Taken in Rovinj in September this year.

DSCF0318.jpg

Mands

Both Windsurf itineraries stop at Pigeon Island St Lucia -- it is the beach barBQ day, which they really did an excellent job on. Our itinerary didn't go to Iles des Saintes, although I hear it is a well-liked port.

We loved Iles des Saintes but it was only a half day with the morning spent in Guadeloupe. From memory some folks wandered off to one of the beaches and swam or snorkled; we pottered around the town and generally enjoyed the atmosphere which was entirely different to any of the other ports.

As Ontario Traveller says the beach BBQ at Pigeon Island is a very slick operation, presumably as they do it once a week for the entire season.

Taken in March '09.

DSCF0058.jpg

Mands

Just returned from the cruise that disembarked on Dec 19th in Barbados. Our cruise went to St Barths, St Martin, Isle de Saintes, St Lucia and St Kitts. You'll love Isle de Saintes....it's really laid back with some very nice shops in the town near the dock. And I understand the ice cream is wonderful. The BBQ at Pigeon Island on St Lucia was as described. They brought all the water toys to the beach. The captain then sailed the length of St Lucia and sailed close to the Pitons. We took the scenic railway ride in St Kitts...sort of hokey but fun. We rented a car in St Barths (don't wait until you get there if you want to rent one) and drove around. Went to the town of Corossol to buy straw hats and stuff from the women by the water. We were 1st time Windstar cruisers - relaxing and top of the line!

We were on Maasdam and were in Barbados and another port with you..... I can't remember which but think maybe St. Kitts. We sailed after dark, ahead of you, and Wind Surf looked so beautiful all lit up.

Archived