NCL vs. RCCL

gelson

Trying to decide between NCL Dawn from Boston to Bermuda or RCCL Freedom of the Seas from Port Canavral to a few different ports. The kids are 9, 5, and 3. Wanted some comparisons as to what people think is more beneficial for the kids, staying at Bermuda for 3 days or going to multiple Islands. Also how do the kids activities compare. My kids like most love the pool.

Personally, I'd rather NOT do Bermuda...I'd rather go further south! RCI has ALOT for the kids, especially in your age range! Nice ships, too!

When will you be cruising? If it's winter, then start from a southern port....you don't want to waste 2 day each way in cold weather!

Airfare may be a concern,,, if you have to fly to port. Price everything out before you book. With 3 kids and 2 adults, you'll need either a "family suite" or 2 cabins....even if they allowed 5 in a room, it's too tight to spend a whole vacation. Connecting cabins are a good way to go....immediate access to the kids, but privacy for the adults (not to mention 2 bathrooms!!!)

On most RCI ships, no diapers are allowed in the pool. At 3, I'm assuming that won't be an issue.

Either one will be great. When our kids were young we took them on two cruises of Bermuda as well as cruises of the Caribbean/Nassau.

They loved both.

Remember the advantage of going back and forth to Bermuda are the sea days in between and the fact that once you are in Bermuda you can use the ship as a hotel.

There will be kids programs on both ships and of course the pool. Just because you are in Bermuda all those days you don't have to spend all of the time in Bermuda as you can still enjoy the ship.

If you do go to Bermuda take the kids to Horseshoe Bay Beach which is one of the most beautiful beaches we have ever visited anywhere around the world.

Keith

Where will you be cruising from and what time of year? I live near Boston, so I would choose that itinerary. I love being able to drive to the port in 30 min. I also love Bermuda and I think there is plenty to do for kids. If you are going to have to fly to either port, then I'd probably go with FOS. I think the kids would like that ship better.

There are many factors to consider when comparing, as previous posters mentioned: time of year, airfare etc. We've sailed NCL Dawn to the Eastern Carib and we really enjoyed it. DS was not quite 2 so didn't go to the Kids Club. We still had a blast but decided we'd prefer set dining times. We're cruising RCL Freedom of the Seas in Feb and I cannot wait. There seems to be a lot more to do on the FOS than on NCL, I know my son will love the H2O zone. I've also never cruised to Bermuda so can't compare that itinerary.

I'm sure you'll have fun wherever you decide to go!

Both NCL and RCCL have excellent kids' programs. I like Freestyle Dining and my daughter likes it also, mostly because she doesn't have to miss a minute of the kids' program.

Your choice would be a toss up for me, although if you don't have to fly, Boston to Bermuda on the Dawn must be a lot less expensive. And with flying the way it is now, a lot less hassle.

We LOVE being able to drive to the port in 20 minutes (NYC) vs. flying! We've cruised out of Florida (DCL), but we will stick to NCL for the huge advantage of driving to the port (and back), plus the freestyle dining. We found it a PITA to have an assigned dining time.

You have one point that caught my eye "the kids love the pool" -- so I guess the biggest deciding factor in this would be the time of year. If its Summer, then go ahead and do the Dawn.

If you are talking fall/spring...then the weather will prevent a lot of pool days coming from Boston and staying in Bermuda which has weather comparable to North Carolina.

So if you are going in the Summer, the Dawn will be fine. If you are planning on going any other time then I would start more south and try to get as many pool days as possible.

I sailed in July out of Boston to Bermuda. My mom and I sailed with my 7 year old daughter and were not sure how much "babysitting" we would have to do with my daughter. The three of us had a fantastic time, although my daughter preferred to spend every waking moment in the Kids Club! I felt the NCL kids program had great activites and wonderful staff. My daughter is quite a tom-boy and loved all the sports and games, but also liked the arts and crafts, etc. She would usually spend the morning with us, then after lunch would spend the afternoon with the kids club. Out for dinner with me and my mom, then back in the evening, unless there was a show that looked kid friendly. A couple of evenings, the kids club took the kids to the show, which was nice because they could reserve seats up front and they really got to see the action up close.

In Bermuda, we spent one day touring the aquarium and the zoo. Both are connected, so doing both together is easy. Neither are large and are an easy 1/2 day outing. This was one of our highlights - for all three of us! One afternoon, my mom and I wanted to shop in Hamilton, so we put my daughter in the kids club ($$ for sitting when you leave the ship, but I thought it was reasonable). Great cruise for all three of us and we are looking forward to a whole family cruise for spring break to Mexico!

Merry Christmas,

Susan from Baltimore, MD

Archived