Tips and tricks

WinnipegCruiser

What about outlets? Are there enough to charge two camera batteries at the same time?

There is an outlet in the bath that is only for shavers. There is one U.S. outlet at the desk and one non-U.S. (You could bring along a converter)

Also I think you could unplug something around the bed. But I can't remember that for sure. :o ANd it might vary a bit depending on the ship class you are on.

I'd plan on doing each battery alone. Especially if the line is not allowing the power strips any longer.

For the ladies, I take the water glasses in the bathroom and put my pencils, brushes, small items in them and put them in the medicine cabinet. Keeps them from rolling around and out. I just pull out the glass and get about the business of putting my face on. The room steward(ess) will replace the water glasses that evening.

I second the canvas six pack cooler because when I want ice, I want it now and not have to trot to a bar or call room service (tip, please). I keep the cooler in the shower because it "sweats." I hadn't thought about putting it in the mini-fridge which I always have emptied out. I will try that next time. My husband calls the fridge "shade" because that is about all it is.

Tucker in Texas

Some great ideas here. Some more:

Alarm clock...for some reason I've never been on a ship which provides clocks in the staterooms.

All Solstice Class ships have clocks on the telephones with an alarm function. What's more they automatically set to ship's time so you don't have to worry about time zone changes.

For that, you need duck tape.

Somebody had to say it....

Of course somebody had to say it. After all, the world is constructed of metal and concrete, but it's held together by Velcro and duct tape. I just assume everybody knows that...

We've never had a problem taking a power strip on and use it all the time. Just make sure you have one that is UL approved. With two people in the cabin both having gear that needs to be charged, I would say one is essential.

The secret to the refrigerators is to prop the wooden door that conceals the refrigerator open. It gets too hot inside that cabinet and thus the refrigerator cannot cool properly. We used the bible at first, but that apparently offended the cabin attendant and she finally removed it. We then used a paperback I had finished reading. It did make a remarkable difference in the temp inside the refrigerator.

Here's another fun tip if you collect magnets in every port like I do. A few cruises ago, we discovered the walls of the cabins are metal--thus magnets will stick. So you can make a fun display of all your magnets--just don't forget to take them down when you're packing up!

On our recent southern Caribbean cruise, we used our magnets to hold up a nice large map of the Caribbean and a ship magnet shaped like a ship to point at the island where we were each day.

Magnets make a great souvenir and don't take up a lot of room in your suitcase. They're also reasonably priced.

Another reason I pack a little cooler, on long port days, I order sandwiches and snacks from room service and pack a lunch to take with us. It saves time by not having to return to the ship for lunch, and also the taxi fare to and from.

I always take an extension cord, we couldn't survive without it. I sleep with a dream machine on, often need a heating pad, we both have electronics to charge, and my flat iron for my hair.

I have always purchased stamps from the purser on western caribbean cruises. For eastern caribbean I always take lots of US postcard stamps for mailing in San Juan or St Thomas.

I take a power strip every cruise & have never had a problem. We need it for several reasons.

I also always take duct tape (have needed it at least 4 times); the shoe bag for the bathroom (never enough room & if you leave everything on the counters, it may slide off if you hit a few waves); the night light; a small collapsiable cooler or a large thermos for ice (I agree the refrigerators are barely cool & the ice left in the morning is water by the time you are getting ready for dinner); 2 gallon ziplocks for anything wet or any bottles of vanilla, booze... that you pack in your suitcase; and our trusty thermal mugs.

I also get from the dollar store the circular thing that has the mini-clothespins to hang wet suits, or anything you might hand wash - it keeps the stuff apart & it drys quickly.

Everyone does things differently but I enjoy reading people's tip.

Thasnks -

Take a roll of rubberized shelf liner. I line the shelves in the bathroom, and lay my cameras and jewelry on it. It keeps stuff from sliding around.

At the end of the cruise I leave it for the steward(ess).

Hi Cheryl,:) never heard this before. I leave my jewelry hanging in an

organizer and my camera stays on the desk when I am not using it.

But I have read lots of lists and I never bring most of the items

mentioned;)

Hi Cheryl,:) never heard this before. I leave my jewelry hanging in an

organizer and my camera stays on the desk when I am not using it.

But I have read lots of lists and I never bring most of the items

mentioned;)

When I take my jewelry off at night, I seldom go thru the trouble of putting it away. Laying it on that rubberized mat prevents it from rolling all over the place.

Once, in Antarctica, I took all I had to the head bartender, to use to keep the bottles from rattling and moving (it was a rough crossing of Drake's Passage. When we returned to the same ship the next year, ALL bars had been covered in the stuff. And I got a nice bar credit to boot....

When I take my jewelry off at night, I seldom go thru the trouble of putting it away. Laying it on that rubberized mat prevents it from rolling all over the place.

Once, in Antarctica, I took all I had to the head bartender, to use to keep the bottles from rattling and moving (it was a rough crossing of Drake's Passage. When we returned to the same ship the next year, ALL bars had been covered in the stuff. And I got a nice bar credit to boot....

Oh, I don't normally put it away at night either;)..it goes on the

desk too. Guess I have been lucky because it is in the same spot in

in the morning:)

I just am so low maintenance I would never think of buying a mat to

bring with me.

In most non U.S. ports, it is forbidden to take meat and cheese, and fruit, off the ship. Some South American ports even have dogs in the terminal to sniff out any food you are bringing off the ship. Sealed, packaged items like granola bars are ok, but taking a sandwich is not allowed, and can even lead to a monetary fine. You may have done it for years, but it is not a good idea.

If you decide to snorkel, you might want to bring dog biscuits to feed

the fish. This way the fish will come to you. If you forget the dog

biscuits, a bun or bread from the ship will do.

Or, better yet, slice open a finger and you may get a chance to see a shark or barracuda up close ;) Seriously, why don't we just enjoy the animals we have been given the opportunity to observe without screwing around with their diet for our own gratification?

Here's another fun tip if you collect magnets in every port like I do. A few cruises ago, we discovered the walls of the cabins are metal--thus magnets will stick. So you can make a fun display of all your magnets--just don't forget to take them down when you're packing up!

On our recent southern Caribbean cruise, we used our magnets to hold up a nice large map of the Caribbean and a ship magnet shaped like a ship to point at the island where we were each day.

Magnets make a great souvenir and don't take up a lot of room in your suitcase. They're also reasonably priced.

Great idea, Linda, just don't store them too close to your credit cards! The magnet snap on my purse has already destroyed the magnetic stripe on 2 bank cards (from the same bank!):eek: and that's not nearly as strong a magnet as the fridge ones.

Like Tucker in Texas I use the cover on the water glass but I use it to put my meds in for the morning. Takes less time when they are all together and ready to take. I too use a canvas over the door shoe holder only mine has velcro to hang over the rod in the closet (wal-mart $10.00). I put my many pairs of sandals, evening purses, books, writing paper etc. Most useful item I take with me. Easier to find things than digging through each drawer for it.

Love all the tips keep them coming. After 23 cruises I am still learning new tricks. Thanks!

What about outlets? Are there enough to charge two camera batteries at the same time?

X ships usually have three or four outlets in the room. One behind the night stand (by the telephone), one at the desk in the room, and one in the washroom. I seem to recall one more also, but can not remember where.

All Solstice Class ships have clocks on the telephones with an alarm function. What's more they automatically set to ship's time so you don't have to worry about time zone changes.

But I can't see the numbers.:eek: Always take alarm clock to see during the night.

Archived