Tips and tricks

WinnipegCruiser

Great idea, Linda, just don't store them too close to your credit cards! The magnet snap on my purse has already destroyed the magnetic stripe on 2 bank cards (from the same bank!):eek: and that's not nearly as strong a magnet as the fridge ones.

The tiny magnet on my sunglasses was enough to deactivate my seapass card. The second time I went to have it fixed, the representative asked if it had been near a magnet. I said it hadn't, then popped it into my pocket next to my sunglasses and the penny dropped!

Sheila

I have to hand it to all of you and your "bring-along" lists. Like Lois, I haven't thought to bring most of what you all mention. Sounds like a camping trip, rather than a cruise.:D (That's why camping in the wilderness to me would be punishment.:o)

After many cruises, the thought of carrying shelf liner, clothes pins and hanger, coolers etc. sounds over the top to me. But that's me. I go to have fun, relax and see the world. None of the above will help me in that goal. For all of you that are sharing your tips, thank you. I might find one that I haven't packed, but needed.... hmmmm :confused:

Don't forget the Dollar store for disposable rain gear. Easy to carry and throw away.

I bought two of them several years ago. They are still folded up in the package. I take them every cruise. My husband calls them "insurance" and always asks if I have them.

On our last cruise, the Compass had a weather forecast every day for the next cay calling for rain. Not once did we get any. Cheap insurance!

I never thought about the magnet on my sunglasses zapping my card! I have a small hang around the neck thingee that I tuck my S&S card in on one side, dollar bills for tips and business cards on the other side. Many times I have stuck my sunglasses in there, too. So far, it hasn't done anything to the S&S card. Maybe because there is leather between the two compartments. Anyway, if it every does zap my card, then I'll know the reason and figure something else out to do with them.

Tucker in Texas

Great idea, Linda, just don't store them too close to your credit cards! The magnet snap on my purse has already destroyed the magnetic stripe on 2 bank cards (from the same bank!):eek: and that's not nearly as strong a magnet as the fridge ones.

Yes, I discovered all that the hard way a few cruises back. Before I even got on the ship I managed to kill my hotel room card by putting it in the same pocket as my cell phone. Who knew?

Then on the ship, stuck one of those magnets in my pocket with my seapass. Instant dead seapass. When I went to get it fixed at guest relations they said it happens all the time and they told me about the magnetic clasps on purses. Apparently they do a lot of seapass replacements after dinner.

Or, better yet, slice open a finger and you may get a chance to see a shark or barracuda up close ;) Seriously, why don't we just enjoy the animals we have been given the opportunity to observe without screwing around with their diet for our own gratification?

Really.... somehow you really think that these fish have a specific diet....

You seriously have no clue.

I have to hand it to all of you and your "bring-along" lists. Like Lois, I haven't thought to bring most of what you all mention. Sounds like a camping trip, rather than a cruise.:D (That's why camping in the wilderness to me would be punishment.:o)

After many cruises, the thought of carrying shelf liner, clothes pins and hanger, coolers etc. sounds over the top to me. But that's me. I go to have fun, relax and see the world. None of the above will help me in that goal. For all of you that are sharing your tips, thank you. I might find one that I haven't packed, but needed.... hmmmm :confused:

Every one can take away different things. If you can't add to this, why would you want to subtract?

Many lines do have self laundry. Celebrity does not have it. It would be a nice addition. Laundry prices are good. Service is excellent. The cost of taking an extra suitcase on a plane will make it pay for itself. A suitcase today will cost an average of $25 each way. I can do a lot of laundry for $50. If you have Captain's Club status there are coupons for reduced/free laundry and dry cleaning. Pack light. Less to pack, less to wash when you get home, and more time to relax. Enjoy. I usually check one bag. However, I've started to see many people carrying a carryon and not checking any bags. I'm seriously thinking of cutting back on my next cruise. Gone are the days of taking many suitcases. Also, taking less cases reduces the chase of the airline/cruise line losing your bag. It has happened to me many times.

All Solstice Class ships have clocks on the telephones with an alarm function. What's more they automatically set to ship's time so you don't have to worry about time zone changes.

This was very nice feature! Saved us from all trying to remember what time we were on .... of course the answer was always - island time :)

But first ... things that we liked - we were delighted with the mini fridge in room - it kept things very cold for us.

Aqua class rooms include 2 complimentary bottled waters ... they seemed to be refreshed more than daily.

Also included a nice insulated ice bucket, it is refreshed often.

Our room had small notepaper and a pen - handy for leaving notes for your gang to let them know where you are off to.

Other tips/observations:

• I bring my own liquid hand soap; way better than dealing with slimy soap or using a new one each time you wash your hands.
  • Aqua class room also included a lit vanity mirror with regular and magnified sides!!
  • Bring plenty of ones - easier for tipping. We also tip if we order room service - taking good care of your room steward means they will take great care of you. And your ice needs, towels, pillows, you name it!
  • We have been known to bring our own coffee and travel french press - just order hot water and steamed milk from room service.
  • Call your credit card company an let them know of your international itinerary.
  • Call your cell phone company and find out whether you can send/receive text messages and which ports of call are under your domestic plan. For us, Puerto Rico and VI were domestic so we could use all the cool apps.
  • Speaking of cool apps ... Tripit is awesome for the blackberry, and there are Cruise apps for the iPhone that have your entire itinerary as well as suggested things to do, maps, etc. Your smart phone also has nifty GPS maps and directions.
  • Want to play some cards? A deck is complimentary - just ask.
  • Your photos taken onboard are now viewable on your stateroom TV - pretty cool.
  • Bring slip on sandals that can get wet for pool time or rainy days

One per guest, which usually translates to two per stateroom.

Some people have had luck with having the Mr. with two bottles and the Mrs. with two bottles and get in different lines to go through security when boarding. Mr. is a gentleman and carrying it, Mrs. is married to a "jerk" who is making her carry it (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Eclipse had ice cream machines! There was one at the AquaSpa cafe and one at the Mast Grill. It was a nice addition to the real ice cream that is served in the Ocean View Cafe.

Thanks for sharing your tips!

Woo Hoo!!! This is great news!!!! Really the only thing that I missed on Solstice. I'll have to start making up some new lame excuses to tell my wife for things that I left in the cabin, making a pit stop at the ice cream machine along the way.

My "tip" is to order room service, specifically breakfast. One of the nicest touches about Celebrity is that you can get full hot meals, omlettes included, as part of room service. Coffee and an omlette on your balcony, priceless. I've also found ordering off of the interactive television to be very efficient, accurate, and speedy.

I'd have to say I think the best tip is relax, have fun, and don't look at the bill before you get off the ship! :p

I'm in the camp that thinks bringing all this stuff is a little over the top. There is loads of storage space in the bathroom (if not as much anywhere else) and I never needed any of these other objects (except the clock, that was really useful) on my cruises, and valuable suitcase space was needed for more shoes instead anyway!

My other tip- buy the premium liquor package and try drinks you've never heard of before. If you don't like them, just get something else.

Archived