Floating Amusement Parks

ONT-CA

We were delighted in seeing Princess' recent brochure with the cover question, "Floating amusement parks not your speed?" They have put this whole question in a nutshell for us. This is exactly what we love about Princess, they maintain the traditional concepts of a cruise rather than offer a Midway atmosphere that can be had at any amusement park.

This may answer a question as to what is being planned for the Skywalker replacement...

I think it's great that different lines cater to different interests. I have never been on a bad cruise. I've found something to enjoy and wonder at on every line I've ever been on. One of these days, I'd like to try a mega-ship, just so I can say I did - who knows, since I've never tried it, maybe I'll love it. The cruising industry is great - they've taken something that used to be just for the "rich and/or famous" and turned it into something that just about everyone who's working can save for and manage a vacation. The prices have actually gone down since we started - what other industry can say that? And, if I ever get to the point where I can charter a yacht, heck they've, got those too right? Long live cruisin' - in any form :)

I think it's great that different lines cater to different interests. I have never been on a bad cruise. I've found something to enjoy and wonder at on every line I've ever been on. One of these days, I'd like to try a mega-ship, just so I can say I did - who knows, since I've never tried it, maybe I'll love it. The cruising industry is great - they've taken something that used to be just for the "rich and/or famous" and turned it into something that just about everyone who's working can save for and manage a vacation. The prices have actually gone down since we started - what other industry can say that? And, if I ever get to the point where I can charter a yacht, heck they've, got those too right? Long live cruisin' - in any form :)

Well said! :) We feel the same way.

I too, am anxious to see what they do with the space. I think it's safe to say it won't be a ferris wheel, or merry-go-round. :eek:

"SKY"

My understanding is that it is going to be an "Adventure Sports Dome" where they will offer parasailing, waterskiing, bungee jumping, and tethered snorkeling on sea days. Of course this is for the ships where skywalkers is deck 19 all the way aft.

For the ships where Skywalkers is right behind the funnel, it will be the launching area for the "Sea Coaster" which will wind its way above and around the ship before having a steep scream-inducing drop through the Sanctuary. It will, of course, have a nautical theme to fit in with Princess' traditional cruise concept.

My understanding is that it is going to be an "Adventure Sports Dome" where they will offer parasailing, waterskiing, bungee jumping, and tethered snorkeling on sea days. Of course this is for the ships where skywalkers is deck 19 all the way aft.

For the ships where Skywalkers is right behind the funnel, it will be the launching area for the "Sea Coaster" which will wind its way above and around the ship before having a steep scream-inducing drop through the Sanctuary. It will, of course, have a nautical theme to fit in with Princess' traditional cruise concept.

You could be correct, but I heard they were changing the name to "Sky Masters", and it would offer motorcycling, in one of those big dome thingys, and soaring behind the ship in a glider, which would be tethered to the aft end of the ship, then reeled in at the end of the ride, if the aircraft was still above the waves.

"SKY"

You could be correct, but I heard they were changing the name to "Sky Masters", and it would offer motorcycling, in one of those big dome thingys, and soaring behind the ship in a glider, which would be tethered to the aft end of the ship, then reeled in at the end of the ride, if the aircraft was still above the waves.

"SKY"

I heard the same. I doubt that aft suite/cabin lovers will be happy about the 'no furniture on aft balconies' rule after the refit, due to health and safety regulations.

Are they really going to do away with furniture on aft balconies? If so when and on what ships?

Of course they aren't doing away with all the furniture on aft balconies and "the steep scream-inducing drop through the Sanctuary" may cause them to reduce the number of loungers they can put out.

But wait..... do you think :confused: that for the most part these comments have been made with tongues firmly planted in cheek? :D;)

OP...Princess has a nice way of casting a stone indiscreetly at RCI..... i.e. The "Oasis" is a wonderful ship and the focus is NOT on the "Amusement Park" aspect at all. Two different cruiselines with a different concept of what passenger amenities need to be....but both lines are more alike than different when you look at the scheme of things !

RCI does have a "WOW factor" that no other cruiseline can compare to though, thats for certain !

Of course those of you who may have read my critique of the elevator service on our last Grand Princess cruise might understand why we might yet see some merit in this form of amusement park activity...

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/M888rgaret/GoingUp-1.jpg

Haha! Only those 9' 4" or over may partake in this thrilling 'outdoor staircase' activity. :D

Archived