Reluctant return to NCL on Sun

manmtnmike

Hi Norwegian loyalists,

I'm looking to book the post - dry dock Jan 25 4 day Bahamas cruise on the Sun, as a beginning of a B2B, the second leg on CCL Dream.

My first and only experience with NCL was had mixed reviews for me, a Bermuda cruise on the Majesty, Bermuda was great people and shows were as well...

But the ship:eek:, at the time it was already sold, and on its way out of the fleet.

Anyway, I haven't cruised with NCL after.

Help me out...Why should I try NCL again?

What's the difference between the Majesty and the Sun?

Thanks for the help!!

Mike

The Majesty was a dinosaur compared to the rest of the NCL fleet so if your issue was only with the ship itself that shouldn't be a problem. I would suggest that you read some recent Sun reviews with a specific focus on what you are interested in (i.e. the food, entertainment, ship condition) and go on from there. I am looking forward to sailing on her next October myself.

The SUN isn't one of the fancyschmantzy ships in the fleet. No slides, rock climbing, ice skating....

But right now she has 4 smaller hot tubs, 2 pools and a small children's pool and hot tub. The crew was great, the balcony cabins were nice and the bathroom was fine. The promenade deck goes ALL the way around the ship so you can really get some nice views while deck walking.

I don't know what kind of updating she'll get for the cruise you're considering. I was on her for 2 weeks in October and found our stewards to be friendly and very accomodating. The food IMO was delicious, I enjoyed the Buffet and Main Dining rooms, we ate one night in Il Adagio for a $10 upcharge and it was fine.

I never felt Nickel & Dimed as you will read on some threads, it was just normal selling and I didn't pay much attention to it as I wasn't really interested in buying. The activities were fun for me, we were on a transatlantic crossing so maybe what was offered will be different to what is available on a 4-day port intensive cruise.

All in all, I really enjoyed the SUN sure there were a few issues, but nothing that was trip-ruining. I am an easy going traveller and had been looking forward to a restful vacation and that was fulfilled above my expectations.

I hope you do decide to give NCL a try, I can't address the other ship you mentioned as the only other NCL ship I was on was the Norway. Good luck to you. :)

Why not stick with Carnival?

This 4 day cruise was the only option that fit with the 7 day we already scheduled out of Port Canaveral. Also, we're not locked into a "Carnival Only" cruise choice and wanted to give NCL another shot.

What kind of dance venues should we expect?

Any oldies/discoe/dance/cover bands on board?

Mike

Hi Norwegian loyalists,

I'm looking to book the post - dry dock Jan 25 4 day Bahamas cruise on the Sun, as a beginning of a B2B, the second leg on CCL Dream.

My first and only experience with NCL was had mixed reviews for me, a Bermuda cruise on the Majesty, Bermuda was great people and shows were as well...

But the ship:eek:, at the time it was already sold, and on its way out of the fleet.

Thanks for the help!!

Mike

Simple answer. If you are reluctant, don't go. Problem solved!:p

Although I loved the Majesty and sailed aboard her on 3 cruises, you can't compare her to the ships in NCL's Fleet at this time. I had a great time on each of my three cruises on the Majesty. Since then, I have been on the Gem and the Dawn, which are amazing ships. However, I have learned that what is amazing to me, may not be amazing to you. :)

Hi Norwegian loyalists,

Thanks for the help!!

Mike

Since I do not work for NCL I don't feel like I have to convince you as to why you should try NCL again. That being said I love NCL and Carnival and would love to do the B2B your are thinking about.

We enjoyed our spring transatlantic sailing on the Sun so much this year that we booked it again for spring 2011. Looking forward to seeing her spiffed up after the dry dock, but she was certainly still in very good shape when we sailed on her! I have my fingers crossed that they will keep the lovely forward observation lounge on the Sun as we so enjoyed using it on our last cruise. One area that could use some improvement is the traffic flow in the Garden Cafe (buffet) area. We ate there just as little as possible, but definitely enjoyed the dining rooms and specialty restaurants.

I'd recommend avoiding the Sun. We just got back from a seven day cruise and although the entertainment was good, the rest of the cruise was disappointing. We saw a lot of rust on the ship, a broken safety rail in the exercise room, a nasty smell near the rear of the ship (starboard side) and worn out carpets throughout.

The food in the main dining rooms was about the same as you would find at Dennys (although we heard some good reports from the places you have to pay extra to eat at) and the service was awful including slow service and people not getting what they ordered. If you eat in one of the dining rooms you should plan to get there when they open otherwise you won't make the first show that starts 2 hours later.

Most people we spoke to said it would be the last time they traveled NCL. This was our first time with RCL but our experience matched what others said, choose Royal Caribbean.

I'd recommend avoiding the Sun. We just got back from a seven day cruise and although the entertainment was good, the rest of the cruise was disappointing. We saw a lot of rust on the ship, a broken safety rail in the exercise room, a nasty smell near the rear of the ship (starboard side) and worn out carpets throughout.

The food in the main dining rooms was about the same as you would find at Dennys (although we heard some good reports from the places you have to pay extra to eat at) and the service was awful including slow service and people not getting what they ordered. If you eat in one of the dining rooms you should plan to get there when they open otherwise you won't make the first show that starts 2 hours later.

Most people we spoke to said it would be the last time they traveled NCL. This was our first time with RCL but our experience matched what others said, choose Royal Caribbean.

Thank you for taking the time to set up a CC user name and put your 1st post here. Sorry you were dissapointed with your trip on the Sun. To the poster I say read the most recent reviews on the Sun and CCL's Dream. You will find a mix of opinions for BOTH ships. Take them all with a grain of salt.

Gee that's funny on Nov 14 the carpets were all new? And all ships have some rust, salt water and metal its a constant scraping and painting, yes even on rccl,

Most people we spoke to said it would be the last time they traveled NCL. This was our first time with RCL but our experience matched what others said, choose Royal Caribbean.[/quote

Hi, OP -

Some, if not all of the visual aspects of the Sun that were mentioned should be corrected in the drydock scheduled soon.

I sailed the Sun in 2009 and absolutely loved her. The size was perfect. The crew was warm, friendly and attentive and although I enjoyed my cruise with RCL it was not in the same league with my NCL freestyle cruises.

When I sailed on the Sun, I did so in an aft AC Penthouse, so that did contribute to the overall experience, with the perks... but my relatives and friends who sailed with me, but weren't in suites all loved it too.

Food is subjective. I am a chef and realize things like food cost play into it a bit. Can you imagine with NCL's great prices and the amount of food the average cruiser eats, (some of those plates in the buffet are piled a mile high and people talk about ordering multiple appetizers and entrees in the MDR), that they have to work magic with the numbers? If you want haute cuisine, you have to pay for it with a cruise on luxury lines. Go to all of the mainstream lines boards and it seems to be a concensus that all of the food has come down a notch or two. Most cruisers don't go hungry.

Everyone has their own standards and opinions, which is fine. Crusing is like the olympics... if you take out the highest and lowest few reviews you will probably end us with a good idea of what most people think. So if you think this is a good idea too, maybe you will let my glowing review zero out XYZ's?????????

It is amazing how the Sun in just four weeks could have gone from, in my observations, the nicest ship in the fleet (of the 4 I've sailed on) to that which you describe. On my cruise, the Sun was spotlessly clean, very little wear ( a couple of carpets were replaced during the cruise), preventative maintanence painting was on going, food was great, service was super great, and employees were super, super great. Wow...sorry NCL gave up on the ship by the time you cruised her. Hummmm.

With a ship within months of a drydock, its been almost five years since her last drydock, any ship will show some rust. However, after the sandblasting and new paint job, most of that rust will be gone...

The same applies to carpets and upholstery. There is only so much touch up work that can be done while the ship is in service. Keep in mind the government requires drydocks every five years for machinery reasons, not for the appearance of the ships. Its during these drydocks when the appearance of the ships are addressed by all of the crew, not some of the crew...

European dining with several courses is longer than American dining. Not only are cruise ship dining rooms much larger than most restaurants including the distance to the galley or kitchen. To expect the same service times as much smaller American restaurants is expecting too much...

Your next course isn't a minute or two away, but maybe more than five minutes away. The waiters would have to be as fast as Superman to get the next course to you within two minutes...

If you desire fresh food ingredients and not frozen alike Gordon Ramsay or the best choicest cuts of meat, go to a dining establishment which gets fresh deliveries everyday. Cruise ships get delivery at their home ports on the day of embarkation, once every one or two weeks...

Yes, cruise ship food is banquet food, not five star Michelin chefs dining establishments. Many first time cruisers have unrealistic expectations... Some expect the quality of the food to be more expensive than the price of their fare...

We've loved the Sun! She's a little smaller than most of the ships in the NCL fleet, but one thing that is bigger is the cabins!

Be sure to schedule a meal in Il Adagio, the Italian restaurant (one of the pay restaurants), and stop by Las Ramblas for some tapas and sangria (not a pay restaurant).

We've loved the Sun! She's a little smaller than most of the ships in the NCL fleet, but one thing that is bigger is the cabins!

Be sure to schedule a meal in Il Adagio, the Italian restaurant (one of the pay restaurants), and stop by Las Ramblas for some tapas and sangria (not a pay restaurant).

Alas, they have done away with the superlative Il Adagio and turned it into Italian like other NCL ships. Yes, Il Adagio will be missed!

just returned from two weeks on the SUN...we were on the sailing where she 'broke' but despite that i would sail on her again...yes, she is showing some wear and tear but we didnt experience or notice what another poster posted about her and found the food to be quite GOOD and NOTHING like we could get at Dennys!

we LOVE NCL and FREE~STYLE and ENJOYED our SAILINGs on the SUN!!!

just returned from two weeks on the SUN...we were on the sailing where she 'broke' but despite that i would sail on her again...yes, she is showing some wear and tear but we didnt experience or notice what another poster posted about her and found the food to be quite GOOD and NOTHING like we could get at Dennys!

we LOVE NCL and FREE~STYLE and ENJOYED our SAILINGs on the SUN!!!

Glad to hear it!!!

Hi Norwegian loyalists,

Thanks for the help!!

Mike

Thanks for the input!

We booked on Tuesday and very excited about the new experiences that await!!:D

How does GSC compare with other cruiselines private islands??

Thanks again!!

Mike

Archived