Spring Break times

Katie333

Usually we have a cruise booked in January and just couldn't manage it this year. I'm considering taking one in March or April but know I'd be at risk of sailing during spring break for younger or older kids and that's something I'd very much like to avoid.

We live in Canada, so I'm hoping someone in the US can advise when the spring break week(s) are most likely to be in 2011?

Here's the website I used: 2011 College Spring Breaks. There are college breaks allthough the spring but looks like early March is the worst.

I couldn't find a website that showed K-12 grades though. I expect most of them are around Easter, but maybe not since Easter is so late in the year.

Your best chance to avoid too many children is to book a longer cruise, especially one that leaves and returns mid-week. School breaks are only a week and are weekend to weekend so that's the schedule most people take their children or college students travel.

Spring break varies by school district in the case of public elementary thru high school and by school for private elementary thru high. Each college and University sets its own schedule.

So spring break starts in February and ends in late April.

Usually we have a cruise booked in January and just couldn't manage it this year. I'm considering taking one in March or April but know I'd be at risk of sailing during spring break for younger or older kids and that's something I'd very much like to avoid.

We live in Canada, so I'm hoping someone in the US can advise when the spring break week(s) are most likely to be in 2011?

Depending if a US is on Trimesters or Semesters, Spring Break for colleges usually run mid-to-late February until the beginning of late March/early April. March would be "high season" for spring breakers. However, the longer the cruise and more costly, the less spring breakers there will be. Carnival and Royal Caribbean tend to usually get a lot of spring breakers. I actually met my husband on a Carnival Spring Break cruise 8 years ago. :D

spring break partiers are not usually attracted to Princess...and any under 25's on the ship will most likely be cruising with family...JMHO....but I am good with it.

We took a Princess cruise the middle of June, thinking it was a little early for summer break. YIKES! It was loaded with kids!!!

So, skip February through April. Leave out Memorial day week. Then June through after Labor Day. Also skip Thanksgiving week, and the week before Christmas through New Years!

So that leaves - half of May. Half of Sept. All of October, most of November, MOst of Dec, and January!!!

We took a Princess cruise the middle of June, thinking it was a little early for summer break. YIKES! It was loaded with kids!!!

So, skip February through April. Leave out Memorial day week. Then June through after Labor Day. Also skip Thanksgiving week, and the week before Christmas through New Years!

So that leaves - half of May. Half of Sept. All of October, most of November, MOst of Dec, and January!!!

Schools in the South get out earlier than those in the North. Most schools around here finish about June 1

I was looking to avoid large number of spring breakers too. I found a Disney web site that predicted that the weeks of April 2nd and 9th 2011 would be the lowest # of kids on spring break and that the weeks of April 16th and 23rd would be the highest. These predictions were for Disney World so they should hold true for cruises too. I would think that most of

March there will be a lot of kids on spring break. We are cruising on April 10th so fingers crossed that the web sites predictions were correct:)

About 9 years ago, we found ourselves in Key West, post-cruise, during spring break. A hotel employee told us that now colleges are starting to stagger their breaks so that not all students are out at the same time.

As far as the LAUSD, which is the second largest school system in the country: the week leading up to Easter is always spring break. Starting this year, many of the high schools started in mid-August and get out early June. All the schools in the district (aside from those on year-round schedules and charter schools, which can set their own schedule) will be going on that same schedule. I certainly hope they set a policy about outdoor activity for that first month or so when the temperatures here can reach 110 degrees.

I am doing a spring break criuse in March with three college seniors- and 4 parents. Pretty well supervised. I do not think that you will be crossing paths with them.

But if you want to avoid kids, tred carefully. Some schools have a week off in feb. Then March and April are all at risk.

All being said, I never feel over run by kids on Princess.

so what you are really saying is that....many families are traveling together...making great memories...and showing their kids the world!!!:)

This is truly a great thing:)

I was looking to avoid large number of spring breakers too. I found a Disney web site that predicted that the weeks of April 2nd and 9th 2011 would be the lowest # of kids on spring break and that the weeks of April 16th and 23rd would be the highest. These predictions were for Disney World so they should hold true for cruises too. I would think that most of

March there will be a lot of kids on spring break. We are cruising on April 10th so fingers crossed that the web sites predictions were correct:)

that is actually a perfect week..colleges and high schools are in session

I have to tell you that we've cruised onboard Princess, HAL and Celebrity during Spring Break and have NEVER been disappointed with the cruise. I can't say the same for Carnival and NCL......these lines really don't have a handle on how to deal with the college crowd and kids-run-a-muck.

Maybe that's why the college crowd like them so much......lack of control!!!!!

Thanks all for your replies. We usually cruise between September-January but this year it just wasn't feasible. I'm not a kid person at the best of times, and really prefer to just have peace and quiet on my cruises.

With that said, of course it is silly to avoid an entire year's worth of cruising opportunities just at the chance of having some extra kids on board. We are looking at 10 day cruises since that's likely to aid in kid-reduction.

Hope this didn't offend anyone. I love my 4 year nephew dearly but there is absolutely no relaxation possible when he's around! :p

Archived