Video of Jet Blast at Maho Beach - Great experience!

Evilblah

To tell you the truth I don't know how anyone can even photograph a take off roll. When we were watching the 747 as soon as it made its turn onto the runway the blast and heat was so intense, not to mention the sand pelting us, the last thing I could have done was take a picture. And... I can't wait to do it again!!!!:):):):)

Out of the whole experience, the camera was the only fatality ;). It was a camera that was already having problems with the lens so we figured, worst case scenario, we have an excuse to buy a new camera :p (which we did)

Out of the whole experience, the camera was the only fatality ;). It was a camera that was already having problems with the lens so we figured, worst case scenario, we have an excuse to buy a new camera :p (which we did)

I finally got to watch your video. Every other time that I have checked this thread it has been where youtube is blocked. I sat here smiling through the whole thing. It brought back some great memories!

I finally got to watch your video. Every other time that I have checked this thread it has been where youtube is blocked. I sat here smiling through the whole thing. It brought back some great memories!

Haha im glad you enjoyed it.. thanks for watching!

I'm kind of in the same boat, I'll definitely buy a new camera as soon as the first grandchild is on the way, but maybe I can justify the camera early.

On a Bernards Tour in Novemeber and saw this too. We were told by our driver, Junior, that some thrill seekers cross the road and grab onto the horizontal bar at the top of the fence. The jet blast literally lifts them off their feet until they are hanging on horizontally.

On a Bernards Tour in Novemeber and saw this too. We were told by our driver, Junior, that some thrill seekers cross the road and grab onto the horizontal bar at the top of the fence. The jet blast literally lifts them off their feet until they are hanging on horizontally.

It is called "Surfing the Fence".:):):):):)

Bernards tour will take you there. Once you get there look for a surf board sticking out of the sand by the bar. It lists all the take offs and landings and the times. It might even say they type of plane. There is also a video of people fence surfing:eek:

Bernards tour will take you there. Once you get there look for a surf board sticking out of the sand by the bar. It lists all the take offs and landings and the times. It might even say they type of plane. There is also a video of people fence surfing:eek:

I have seen pictures of that, thanks that will be helpful.

Anyone say how hard it is to get a taxi back and how long it takes? I'm highly paranoid about missing the ship and will want to get back to the ship with time to spare.

Is there a way to find out take off and landing times before you get there? Is there a website with this info?

I agree. We will be stopping here for lunch at Sunset Grill and watch some of the planes. There is a 747 scheduled to land the day we are there.

\

Anyone have a link for airport schedules?

I want to make sure my timing is right.

Thanks!

Mike

My luck, they will land the other direction that day.

I am sure it happens at times because of wind direction but I have never seen it. The other side of the airport has some pretty steep mountains. I suspect that it is easier to do a steep climb out and around to avoid the mountains rather than trying to line up a landing on that side of the runway. It is a lot easier lining up the runway landing from the ocean. At least it is for me when I do it on MS Flight Simulator!:D

I am sure it happens at times because of wind direction but I have never seen it. The other side of the airport has some pretty steep mountains. I suspect that it is easier to do a steep climb out and around to avoid the mountains rather than trying to line up a landing on that side of the runway. It is a lot easier lining up the runway landing from the ocean. At least it is for me when I do it on MS Flight Simulator!:D

I'll have to give that a try. I didn't notice the mountains when I looked at it on Google Earth.

Spent an afternoon at the Sunset Bar & Grill in Feb. 2010! SO MUCH FUN!!

Thought I could help more with taxi times (did it on our own) but looks like we left PLENTY of time (I usually do!) Left Maho beach in our taxi at 3:00. I know we had to be back on the ship by 5:30 and I know we had PLENTY of time to have a couple beers at Sharky's and probably got back on the ship a little early........best I can do :p Would go back again in a heartbeat!!!! (food is good there too!!)

Spent an afternoon at the Sunset Bar & Grill in Feb. 2010! SO MUCH FUN!!

Thought I could help more with taxi times (did it on our own) but looks like we left PLENTY of time (I usually do!) Left Maho beach in our taxi at 3:00. I know we had to be back on the ship by 5:30 and I know we had PLENTY of time to have a couple beers at Sharky's and probably got back on the ship a little early........best I can do :p Would go back again in a heartbeat!!!! (food is good there too!!)

Hey, thanks for that input, that is helpful.

My luck, they will land the other direction that day.

I've never seen anything but a puddle-jumper landing from over the lagoon (East to West).

Takeoffs, on the other hand, occur fairly regularly because of wind conditions or fuel/load/destination considerations.

gary

Archived