late summer cruises & teens

(fiona)

hi all! i am new to cruising and think this site is wonderful! i am considering a cruise to the western caribbean the last week of august. my question is this: are there still plenty of teens who cruise during that time period? i have a 15-year old who really NEEDS the answer to this. thanks!

It will depend on where you're going! Caribbean will be your best bet, if you're in the States. There WILL be teens....how many is anyone's guess tho....many schools start back before Labor Day, so you might not have as many as if you could do the next to last week! A European cruise will have fewer, still.

Yes, while there will be less students than you will find in July or early August there will still be students on the cruise as many do not go back until right before or after Labor Day. The key is to sail on a cruise line that tends to attract families.

Keith

Yes, while there will be less students than you will find in July or early August there will still be students on the cruise as many do not go back until right before or after Labor Day. The key is to sail on a cruise line that tends to attract families.

Keith

That's true. OP which line are you considering?

we are looking at carnival legend, but havent decided for sure. there is so much information to process! basically, we are looking for a ship with a teen club going to the caribbean at the end of august. any tips or pointers you can pass along will be GREATLY appreciated! in reading the reviews, it seems that one person's treasure ship is another person's nightmare!

You are lucky to be able to sail that late in the summer. Prices go down quite a bit. Our kids need to be back by Aug 20 so we have a few days before it starts. Of course, we get out the second week of Juen, provided we didn't use up our snow days...

Carnival should be a great line for attracting families traveling with kids. Hope you have a great time.

There are always SOME teens. Last week (mid-December, before most kids are on break) on Liberty of the Seas, there were still 150 teens. In port with ships from Carnival, Princess, and P&O they seemed to have a decent number of teens aboard as well. not as many as Spring Break or July, but still enough for them to find groups with similar interests.

Our first cruise was the last week of August--the week before Labor Day.

My kids found tons of kids to hang with for the week.

There will be a get together the first night. Its very important you teen go to the meeting. He doesnt have to do the activities as a group- but this is where he will meet the kids sailing with him

we are looking at carnival legend, but havent decided for sure. there is so much information to process! basically, we are looking for a ship with a teen club going to the caribbean at the end of august. any tips or pointers you can pass along will be GREATLY appreciated! in reading the reviews, it seems that one person's treasure ship is another person's nightmare!

we went on carnival valor this summer and my 15 yr old hated the teen club. He said all they ever did was sit around and talk. he actually snuck into the younger group so he would have fun activities to do or he hung out in the arcade or jogging track. He said it was like a pick up bar. since he had a girlfriend he was not interested in that. When he went at age 12 he loved that group, they had alot of scheduled things to do that they dont really have for the older kids. We are going to try out royal carribeans Oasis of the seas in april. I have looked at some of thier teen activity sheets and it seems like they will do more wuth the kids. They also have more to do on the boat. there is a teen lounge and a teen disco, a teen deck area, teen workout area, iceskating rink, rock walls, zip line, wave rider (surfing simulator) Mini golf, ping pong tables, full basket ball court, 3 pools (there is a 4th that is adult only) Oasis costs a bit more but i think my son will like it alot better. I will have to let you know how things went.

Archived