Happy Holidays from the Golden

karatemom2

We are enjoying our first sea day on the Golden after a soggy embarkation in Los Angeles. Thankfully we live about an hour from the port so it wasn't too difficult. Started our cruise with a pleasant lunch in the dining room and a nice quiet evening. We were late in departing due to a delay caused by the enormous quantity of luggage to be boarded. I'm sure the rain slowed things down and since it is Christmas most people likely brought extra bags. A bit rocky and rolly last night, but today has been fairly smooth sailing although a bit chilly outside which is typical on this cruise. I took a leap of faith and had a color, cut and style in the salon this morning as I was just too busy to work it in before I left and I'm happy to report the results are fantastic. I may have to rebook for Alaska this summer so I can come back for a redo! We had a very nice Meet and Greet this afternoon and it was nice to see some familiar faces from last year as well as some I have been chatting with here at CC for awhile. I feel very sorry for the folks from the UK who couldn't make the flight. I know we lost a couple from our roll call. You were missed! It's Country and Western night tonight so off for a little music and dancing!

We will be on board next and would like to know since you are on the ship how the weather is throughout your cruise. Hopefully we get good weather and please let us know who the entertainers are on your cruise. Thanks so much and enjoy your wonderful cruise.

Thanks for the update. We should be on board with you but were caught in the chaos at Heathrow in London so never made it out to catch the ship. We are gutted!

Have a wonderful cruise and a fantastic xmas and new year. Spare a thought please for those of us who are stuck at home in the snow wishing things had been so different and we should be enjoying the cruise with you.

Have a great time!

We have been thinking of this cruise and remembering meeting you on it last year! We are set to leave on the Coral next week to do the Panama Canal for this year's holiday vacation.

I hope you enjoy your trip, and will a round of trivia for us!

riclop: I have been on The Ruby and The Crown. I enjoyed them both, but I really liked the smaller size of The Golden and it seemed easier to manuver around the ship. It was also my first Princess ship, so that may have something to do with it.

Merry Christmas to my CC friends. We are enjoying a really lovely Christmas Day on the Golden today following a relaxing Christmas Eve. The weather was a bit of a problem yesterday due to a tropical depression in the Pacific. Gale force winds and high seas kept the ship rocking and rolling and most indoors. Our terrific Captain needed to deviate our course to keep us out of the worst of the weather system, but fortunately we are still on schedule to arrive in Hilo on time this coming Monday. It is much nicer today. The sun is shining and the seas are much friendlier!

We had fun yesterday participating the Annual Gingerbread House Contest. It was a bit unorganized this year as compared to years past. The kits were unassembled this year and mixing our own royal frosting proved a messy business, especially since it was in the Explorer's Lounge instead of one of the dining rooms. I feel sorry for the crew who had to clean up the sticky mess afterwards! Unfortunately most of the houses suffered from a lack of enough sticky frosting to hold them up and they were collapsing left and right. Looked like the aftermath of a bad earthquake in the North Pole!! But, I am proud to report our team's house not only remained standing, but won first place in the competition. It was all very chaotic but fun!

Last night we enjoyed the caroling with the officers in the atrium with the falling "snow", followed by formal night. Everyone looked great in their Christmas finery. The food and service have been wonderful. The only thing I have noticed is that now that one of the anytime dining rooms is reserved for traditional until 7:30 p.m. we are for the first time experiencing waits for anytime dining. We have arrived around 6 p.m. and waited for thirty minutes for the last two evenings for a table for four. Not really a problem as we just sit in the piazza and enjoy the music and a drink while we wait, but something new for us as we are used to minimal or no waiting for a table.

DD just visited with Santa and received her gift (cute stuffed teddy bear). We are looking forward to the Holiday Fun Fair this afternoon and special Christmas show tonight. The ship feels a little more quiet this year, but still festive. Seems like less kids onboard this year, perhaps due to all the families from the UK who were unable to make it. We are having a nice time though and the relaxed vibe suits us fine at the end of a very hectic year.

Hope you are all enjoying a wonderful Christmas Day, wherever you are!!

We have been thinking of this cruise and remembering meeting you on it last year! We are set to leave on the Coral next week to do the Panama Canal for this year's holiday vacation.

I hope you enjoy your trip, and will a round of trivia for us!

Hi Helen! We miss you guys. Have fun on your Panama Canal cruise. I will be looking for your thread!

Thanks for the update. We should be on board with you but were caught in the chaos at Heathrow in London so never made it out to catch the ship. We are gutted!

Have a wonderful cruise and a fantastic xmas and new year. Spare a thought please for those of us who are stuck at home in the snow wishing things had been so different and we should be enjoying the cruise with you.

Have a great time!

So sorry the weather prevented you from joining us. I'm sure it is no comfort, but there are many from the UK who were unable to make the cruise. The ship definitely seems quieter this year without all of our British friends.

I hope you are having a Merry Christmas despite the disappointing turn of events!

Hopefully your cruise will be a total success. If you run into Chris, the Sommelier (Wine Guy" :D), tell him that Larry & Ginger says hello and to tell you about the great wines on the ship..

We'll send a "Hello" from you if we meet him!

We will be on board next and would like to know since you are on the ship how the weather is throughout your cruise. Hopefully we get good weather and please let us know who the entertainers are on your cruise. Thanks so much and enjoy your wonderful cruise.

So far shows have been Welcome Aboard Show, Stardust, Juggler, Hypnotist and tonight a special Christmas Show. I don't have my Patters with me at the moment, but will try to post entertainer names at some point.

Another nice day at sea as we draw nearer to Hawaii. The seas are calmer and the weather is warm and humid. We continue to have a wonderful time and meet so many nice fellow passengers and crew. You all know that I am a glass half full kind of person and not one to complain, but I do hate to say that from an entertainment standpoint I am really noticing the absence of David Cole this year. The energy and spirit are just missing from this cruise as compared to past years. All the activities are in place, but it does sometimes feel like just going through the motions. The kid's club staff did an excellent job with the Fun Fair in the atrium yesterday, but the Christmas show last evening was very disappointing. There is something about David Cole that brings a life and vibrance to the CD staff entertainment and activities that is special and very much missed by me and many other repeat cruisers I have talked with on this cruise. Just goes to show how much a really great CD can add.

We are having fun though and this is still the greatest cruise. Can't wait to get to Hilo tomorrow!!

Archived