Watch Sales on NCL?

SAP Guru

1st time on NCL and crusing the Dawn in Feb. Hoping to purchase a watch and wondered if NCL ever has watch sales. Carnival would have watch sales on board and would put out tables of them with varying prices.

Thanks!

Yes, they will have sales. But, you no doubt will find better prices in most of the ports you visit.

PE

Yes' date=' they will have sales. But, you no doubt will find better prices in most of the ports you visit.

PE[/color']

But are those REAL watches?

There have been posts about counterfeit cigars, how about counterfeit watches? it does happen.

You didn't say what type of watch you are looking for. NCL has "sidewalk sales" where there sell dozens of watches at around $49.00 (if I remember correctly)..They also sell higher end watches in the gift shop. I would reseach prices before sailing. If you can get a better deal onboard or port then go for it. Just be carefull if you buy a watch in a foreign country it may be a "grey good" meaning you will not be able to bring to an authorized dealer in the US for repairs.

But are those REAL watches?

There have been posts about counterfeit cigars, how about counterfeit watches? it does happen.

Not if you go to reputable stores and know what you are looking for. I paid about 1/2 for a Citizen Eco Drive in St. Thomas.

PE

Edited by Planer's Edge

On the Epic they had watches on sale in the gift shop the entire cruise, plus "junk" on sale during specials at the Marketplace on deck and at their sidewalk shops. The Citizen watches were 40% off their marked price all week. The Ecodrive watch that I bought in Cozumel 2 years earlier was exactly the same price in the Epic gift shop. Based on that, I would say the ship price on the Citizen watches (with the 40% off) are very comparable to what you'd find in port shops. They also had several other brands on sale for a lesser discount, like Tissot watches for 15% off. I found I chrongraph Tissot on the ship that I fell in love with, but thought for sure I'd be able to find it cheaper locally or on-line. Well, after lots and lots of searching I finally found it on-line for about the same price as the ship. Again, based on that experience I think the ship price was very good, plus you have the added confidence that it's real (versus not knowing for sure when you buy in port)

All I suggest is that you do your homework before you leave. If there's something in particular you're looking for, get an idea of the on-line and local costs before you leave. You can also do an on-line search in an internet cafe or on the ship if it's something you're wondering about. Going online is expensive on the ship, but might be worth it for a high-end watch.

The other type of watch you'll (likely) fine are $49 gift boxes that contain a watch and something else, like a key ring, etc. On the Epic they had these available the second to last day of the trip out in the main shopping area where the inventory changed daily. This is different than the jewelry shop. I can tell you that these watches are no-name but attractive, and are likely junk not worth the box they're packed in. Maybe a decent gift for a kid/teen, but not as a daily worn item. Finally, you might find a day when they sell $10 costume watches. Again, junk, but I have to admit I bought a couple of digital $10 watches for my teens because they had the nerve to tell me they "didn't know what time it was" when they didn't get back to the stateroom at the pre-established time. THOSE were worth the $10, and at that price they were disposable.

There are websites like yugster and shnoop (both are dot com) that sell watches dirt cheap, and I am sure they are legit. I've bought lots of stuff from both of them and everything has been as advertised--I just haven't bought watches. You should price on their websites as well. These are "deal a day" sites with some static inventory but most is rotating.

They sell those $10. Bijoux-Terner watches on the rummage table sales. These are 'throw-away' watches, as when the battery dies, just toss 'em.

They also have sales on slightly better watches in the $49-99. range. Lots of 'designer' labels.

The fine jewelry store has better watches. I bought a Citizen Eco Drive Caliber 2100 a couple of years ago at about 40% off and tax-free. About as good a deal as you will generally find. They also have better watches like Tag-Heuer, Tissot, Bulova, Rado, and probably their best is Omega.

You will not find the likes of Rolex or Patek-Philippe aboard.

1st time on NCL and crusing the Dawn in Feb. Hoping to purchase a watch and wondered if NCL ever has watch sales. Carnival would have watch sales on board and would put out tables of them with varying prices.

Thanks!

If you do your homework before you sail and know what you want you will (depending on what ship your on) get some very good watch offers. Good luck I got a very good price on a Raymond Weil on the Gem last September......:)

Be patient and don't buy on the first day........;)

If you do your homework before you sail and know what you want you will (depending on what ship your on) get some very good watch offers. Good luck I got a very good price on a Raymond Weil on the Gem last September......:)

Be patient and don't buy on the first day........;)

Allow me to contradict your last statement there, at least as it pertains to the Epic. Granted, I'm not sure how it works on other NCL ships, but on the Epic the prices did not change during the week in the jewelry and gift shops. The sales the first day lasted for the week. Nothing new went on sale except for the stuff they brought out of the back room (like the $10 watches and 2 for $20 shirts) they paraded around on their special deals. The risk of waiting is that the watch you want will be snapped up by someone else. They don't carry a lot of inventory on each cruise. If you see something you like, ask what happens if it goes "on sale" later in the week. I asked, and I was told nothing would change...and it didn't.

Happy shopping!

Edited by sdmike

They sell those $10. Bijoux-Terner watches on the rummage table sales. These are 'throw-away' watches, as when the battery dies, just toss 'em.

They also have sales on slightly better watches in the $49-99. range. Lots of 'designer' labels.

The fine jewelry store has better watches. I bought a Citizen Eco Drive Caliber 2100 a couple of years ago at about 40% off and tax-free. About as good a deal as you will generally find. They also have better watches like Tag-Heuer, Tissot, Bulova, Rado, and probably their best is Omega.

You will not find the likes of Rolex or Patek-Philippe aboard.

Also had a lot of Fossil stuff, if you're into that brand

Allow me to contradict your last statement there, at least as it pertains to the Epic. Granted, I'm not sure how it works on other NCL ships, but on the Epic the prices did not change during the week in the jewelry and gift shops. The sales the first day lasted for the week. Nothing new went on sale except for the stuff they brought out of the back room (like the $10 watches and 2 for $20 shirts) they paraded around on their special deals. The risk of waiting is that the watch you want will be snapped up by someone else. They don't carry a lot of inventory on each cruise. If you see something you like, ask what happens if it goes "on sale" later in the week. I asked, and I was told nothing would change...and it didn't.

Happy shopping!

I asked on the Gem and was told nothing would change but it did.....go figure.....:)

On the Epic they had watches on sale in the gift shop the entire cruise, plus "junk" on sale during specials at the Marketplace on deck and at their sidewalk shops. The Citizen watches were 40% off their marked price all week. The Ecodrive watch that I bought in Cozumel 2 years earlier was exactly the same price in the Epic gift shop. Based on that, I would say the ship price on the Citizen watches (with the 40% off) are very comparable to what you'd find in port shops. They also had several other brands on sale for a lesser discount, like Tissot watches for 15% off. I found I chrongraph Tissot on the ship that I fell in love with, but thought for sure I'd be able to find it cheaper locally or on-line. Well, after lots and lots of searching I finally found it on-line for about the same price as the ship. Again, based on that experience I think the ship price was very good, plus you have the added confidence that it's real (versus not knowing for sure when you buy in port)

All I suggest is that you do your homework before you leave. If there's something in particular you're looking for, get an idea of the on-line and local costs before you leave. You can also do an on-line search in an internet cafe or on the ship if it's something you're wondering about. Going online is expensive on the ship, but might be worth it for a high-end watch.

The other type of watch you'll (likely) fine are $49 gift boxes that contain a watch and something else, like a key ring, etc. On the Epic they had these available the second to last day of the trip out in the main shopping area where the inventory changed daily. This is different than the jewelry shop. I can tell you that these watches are no-name but attractive, and are likely junk not worth the box they're packed in. Maybe a decent gift for a kid/teen, but not as a daily worn item. Finally, you might find a day when they sell $10 costume watches. Again, junk, but I have to admit I bought a couple of digital $10 watches for my teens because they had the nerve to tell me they "didn't know what time it was" when they didn't get back to the stateroom at the pre-established time. THOSE were worth the $10, and at that price they were disposable.

Thanks for a detailed and thorought response.

I'm looking for a Citizens Eco Drive. The one I have my eye on lists for $250 but I have found online and locally for $180. Hoping to beat that price.

Thanks again.

I'm looking for a Citizens Eco Drive. The one I have my eye on lists for $250 but I have found online and locally for $180. Hoping to beat that price.

Thanks again.

You might find it aboard for $150. Tax-free.

Good luck!

Thanks again.

If your cruise is taking you to St. Thomas I would recommend contacting Dynasty/Dazzlers in Havensight. That is where I got my Eco Drive for about half the price of my local place and it is duty free also. Just Google Dazzlers St. Thomas. They are the first store on your left as you exit the dock area. Ask for Raj or Bimla. I would contact them prior to going to make sure they have what you want in stock.

PE

Edited by Planer's Edge

I have only been on a couple of cruises but I have collected watches for more than a decade. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) You won't find any deals on a cruise ship. The "discounts" available on the ships aren't any better than what you can find at a local jewelry store or online retailer.

2) "Duty free" is worthless. Buy at a local store and you won't have to pay duty anyway.

3) Sales tax is always charged by your home state. Buy from out of the country or from another state and you still claim the same purchase on your personal taxes.

4) Sometimes it is worth it to buy a watch on a ship or vacation just to have it connected to some memories. Nothing wrong with that.

I have only been on a couple of cruises but I have collected watches for more than a decade. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) You won't find any deals on a cruise ship. The "discounts" available on the ships aren't any better than what you can find at a local jewelry store or online retailer.

2) "Duty free" is worthless. Buy at a local store and you won't have to pay duty anyway.

3) Sales tax is always charged by your home state. Buy from out of the country or from another state and you still claim the same purchase on your personal taxes.

4) Sometimes it is worth it to buy a watch on a ship or vacation just to have it connected to some memories. Nothing wrong with that.

No Sales Tax in Oregon... I wonder what else may not be accurate?

If your cruise is taking you to St. Thomas I would recommend contacting Dynasty/Dazzlers in Havensight. That is where I got my Eco Drive for about half the price of my local place and it is duty free also. Just Google Dazzlers St. Thomas. They are the first store on your left as you exit the dock area. Ask for Raj or Bimla. I would contact them prior to going to make sure they have what you want in stock.

PE

I've also had a lot of luck with Royal Carribean in Havensight. They are a great store, lots of watch selecations, more than half the store is watches. They don't like to haggle so they always give you a firm lowest price, which I appreciate. Some people may say that haggling may get you a better deal, I disagree. I purchased a beautiful Tissot Chrono for a lot less than it would have been at home. Everyone is right, do your research, sometimes that can be hard because you just see something and you like it, but try and resist the impulse.

Thanks again.

As a general rule for a watch like that the ship will match a price you find at a reputable dealer ashore. When price matching if you get exactly the price you can get at home you are saving whatever % the sales tax is in your locations. For me that is a 9% savings. Duty is minimal even if you go over your limit. If you are in St. Thomas, check the Rolex store in the Riise mall downtown for the best watch prices and most knowledgeable sales staff. They will match any other price you get and they sell a lot besides Rolex. (Buying in St. Thomas is safe as it is a US territory.)

I've also had a lot of luck with Royal Carribean in Havensight. They are a great store, lots of watch selecations, more than half the store is watches. They don't like to haggle so they always give you a firm lowest price, which I appreciate. Some people may say that haggling may get you a better deal, I disagree. I purchased a beautiful Tissot Chrono for a lot less than it would have been at home. Everyone is right, do your research, sometimes that can be hard because you just see something and you like it, but try and resist the impulse.

Which Tissot chrono did you get? This is my PRC200. I love the size and weight.

Tissot-PRC-200-T17158642.jpg