Driving A1A from Ft. Lauderdale to POM area

BeetRed

We are thinking about flying into FLL and cruising out of POM. To give us a bit of freedom, we are thinking about renting a car... But we are small town Midwestern girls and I don't know how we would handle the traffic. :eek: I see on the map we could take the A1A straight down. Would that be a fairly easy trip?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Sounds painful to me, but I prefer highways to traffic lights. I haven't done the drive, but in looking at it on satellite, you should be fine so long as you keep your eyes open when you get towards Miami and the southbound lanes separate from the northbound. It's called Ocean Drive in Broward County and Collins Ave in Dade county (someone local can correct me if I'm wrong on that). You go right down to 5th St, turn right and go across the casuseway. The cruise ships will be on your left. Take the exit on right to Biscayne Blvd and turn left. Go past the American Airlines Arena on left and turn left into the port.

You'd probably do it in 30-45 minutes on I95 barring traffic problems, but if you have all afternoon and want to sightsee, go for it.

We are thinking about flying into FLL and cruising out of POM. To give us a bit of freedom, we are thinking about renting a car... But we are small town Midwestern girls and I don't know how we would handle the traffic. :eek: I see on the map we could take the A1A straight down. Would that be a fairly easy trip?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

You can manage the trip. It is not difficult. However, while others may recommend it, I don't. First, it is not particularly scenic. While you can see the water at times from Ft. Lauderdale, as you head south you won't see it at all. A1A is too built up on both sides. Second, it is often a slow drive. You will encounter several dozen traffic lights and double parkers or heavy traffic often slow the pace down to a crawl. As you work your way down to South Beach, the traffic will become worse. The trip could easily take 3 to 4 times as long as I-95. Why not enjoy Ft. Lauderdale's fine beach or a nice meal, perhaps on Las Olas Blvd., before taking the highway to Miami?

I am not sure how long you plan to stay in Fort Lauderdale prior to the cruise.

If you are there a couple of days one option is to just rent a car for your time in Fort Lauderdale to give you a chance to see the area and then on the morning of the cruise return the car to Fort Lauderdale airport and then take private transportation over to the Port Of Miami.

Keith

I've done the drive a gazillion times and prefer it to taking I-95. Yes, traffic can be heavy on A1A but traffic is worse on I-95.

It's easy, take your time, stop when you want to and when you get to South Beach below 14th, take Ocean Drive. Take a right on 5th which takes you over MacArthur Causeway and follow the signs for the POM.

Nothing worse than getting stuck on I-95 because some idiot has a flat tire and it happens. Also, people get shot at for road rage.

We don't mind taking our time. I'm considering staying in Ft. Lauderdale the night before the cruise and driving down the morning of (which is a Sunday). Does the A1A go through any bad parts of town that we need to worry about? If we left early in the morning around 9 or 10 am, would that alleviate some of the traffic issues?

I-95 would be quicker, I'm just afraid of getting in the wrong lane and winding up who knows where! :D

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

We like the A-1-A drive and often take it on our way home after a cruise that ports in Miami. It is slow, but fairly easy. It is slow because of the traffic lights and there are so many large condos and hotels with traffic going in and out of their entrances. I do find some parts of it quite scenic. The various styles of architecture can be quite interesting.

I find 1-95 quite hectic especially when traffic is heavy or if there has been an accident. We do take it going to a cruise because it is faster and straight forward.

I-95 would be quicker, I'm just afraid of getting in the wrong lane and winding up who knows where! :D

Do you intend to leave the rental car in the parking lot of the Port incurring the daily rate as well as the $20 parking fee? You do know you can't return the car at the port right?

Do you intend to leave the rental car in the parking lot of the Port incurring the daily rate as well as the $20 parking fee? You do know you can't return the car at the port right?

No, we will return the car to a location near the port. I'm seeing threads about various rental agencies that offer a shuttle from their agency to the port.

Anyone have an opinion on which rental company would work best for this?

No, we will return the car to a location near the port. I'm seeing threads about various rental agencies that offer a shuttle from their agency to the port.

Avis and Hertz are the only rental agencies with offices in downtown close to Port of Miami. All the others are located in Miami International Airport, from where you would be shuttled back to Port of Miami, that would defeat the purpose of the rental in your case.

@DanJ you are correct, A1A is Ocean in Broward, then becomes Collins, Harding, Abbot Avenue, then Indian Creek Drive back to Collins in Miami Beach in that order North to South.

Yogi

We did this in October. We used Alamo and rented the car at FLL. We stayed on A1A for two days and then left on our cruise out of POM. We dropped the vehicle off at the Alamo on 41st and Collins and they took us to the Port. After the cruise, since we had a 6:00 pm flight out of FLL, we returned to the Alamo location at 41st and got a car for the day. We got very lucky as they gave us a reduced rate (including no fuel charges) to return one of the cars to FLL. So we drove to Fort Lauderdale, have lunch on the beach and enjoyed our last day in Florida!

We rented from Hertz and returned the car to the Hertz Downtown location on SE 1st ST. While the area was a busy commercial district, all went smoothly and they had a free shuttle to the port which was about 5 minutes away.

We did this in October. We used Alamo and rented the car at FLL. We stayed on A1A for two days and then left on our cruise out of POM. We dropped the vehicle off at the Alamo on 41st and Collins and they took us to the Port. After the cruise, since we had a 6:00 pm flight out of FLL, we returned to the Alamo location at 41st and got a car for the day. We got very lucky as they gave us a reduced rate (including no fuel charges) to return one of the cars to FLL. So we drove to Fort Lauderdale, have lunch on the beach and enjoyed our last day in Florida!

This plan is what I'd been considering. Glad to hear it works well!! :D

Were you able to get a shuttle back to Alamo after the cruise or did you have to use a taxi?

We live in the Ft. Lauderdale area, and when we drive to POM, we usually take Route 1 (Federal Highway). In my opinion it is quicker (and more direct) than taking A1A. However, we sometimes do take A1A. The highways (I-95) may be quicker (no traffic lights, faster speed, etc), but to me they are more nerve-racking.

We live in the Ft. Lauderdale area, and when we drive to POM, we usually take Route 1 (Federal Highway). In my opinion it is quicker (and more direct) than taking A1A. However, we sometimes do take A1A. The highways (I-95) may be quicker (no traffic lights, faster speed, etc), but to me they are more nerve-racking.

Route 1 affords dozens of traffic lights and predictably heavy/slow traffic without the quaintness of A1A or the high speed of I-95. It is typically a slow and boring slog from Ft. Lauderdale to POM.

Route 1 affords dozens of traffic lights and predictably heavy/slow traffic without the quaintness of A1A or the high speed of I-95. It is typically a slow and boring slog from Ft. Lauderdale to POM.

Yours is probably the opinion of many. However, when we take Route 1 to POM, it is usually a Sunday and early in the morning, and therefore, no traffic. We did it 2 months ago on a Sunday (with no problems) to board the Carnival Valor. I wouldn't call it "a slow and boring slog". And, as the OP mentioned that they would be making the trek on a Sunday, well.......

It sounds like both of these are good options! If we're on one route and get lost, hopefully we'll stumble across the other route! :D At least, that's my philosophy on driving in unfamiliar places!

As oncruisecontrol mentioned, just the thought of doing the I-95 route wrecks my nerves! LOL!

Archived