Cruising or Disney for Christmas 2011.....

lyttleone1977

My DH and I are considering taking our DS (13) and DD (10) on vacation next Christmas versus doing the traditional Christmas. Originally I was gun-ho for Disney as my children have never been there, but we love cruising. They have been on one for far. So this is what we are considering - either the Freedom or the Liberty (which we have all been on) leaving 12/24 or Disney World. The biggest reason why I am questioning Disney is because my son is autistic and not a huge fan of rides, plus my DH really hates crowds, but does well on ships. The ships both head to the Eastern Carb those trips, which are ports we have never been to. So, should we do cruise or Disney, and which ship would you recommend?

Cruise for sure..i have friends at disney this week and it is freezing! Got down to -2 last night! They are wearing their warm & woolies all week.

Do the Dream...much more then the other ships to keep everyone busy!

Cruise for sure..i have friends at disney this week and it is freezing! Got down to -2 last night! They are wearing their warm & woolies all week.

Do the Dream...much more then the other ships to keep everyone busy!

That -2 would have to be with a wind chill. We are in Georgia and it hasn't been -anything. I know it is cold down there, but it is not the norm for this time of year.

Still.....stay away from Disney during Christmas is my opinion.

We were at Disney World from 12/11 to 12/17, loved seeing the Christmas lights and decorations, hated the cold weather. December in Florida can be unpredictable. Everyone is right, Christmas week is very crowded but if you plan right you can avoid the crowds, I use Tourguide Mike and never stand in long lines. Do a little research and see if it would work for you. There are a lot of Disney World sites with lots of advice, just like Cruise Critic.

I have never sailed at Christmastime but I think you will find the ships really crowded too. More cabins filled to capacity, lots of families with lots of kids. It is also usually the most expensive week to cruise. Read some reviews of Christmas cruises to see if it is really when you want to cruise.

I wouldn't do Disney World for Christmas, too crouded & cold!!! I'm not sure about the cruise, weather can be cooler, but I think it would be better than florida in Dec. Although it may be crouded doing a cruise then too! But if that is the choices I would go with the cruise.:)

Try doing Disney for a day or two before or after your cruise. I am doing Disney for new years just to extend my vacation then to the dream for a week. If you do this try to plan a cruise on the Dream since its out of port Canaveral. If this isnt an option.....Cruise it up!

I've been to Disney 42 times, no lie, 42! I've cruised twice. I have crowd issues also and I went to Mickey jail once because of it ( long story, crowded concert, not my fault, she deserved it, begged my way out)....

~ dont take an autistic child to disney at Christmas. you need at least 3 days to really experience all disney has to offer. January and February are easier times in my opinion. I was at Epcot last summer on a ride with an autistic child behind me, the lights and noise caused a serious meltdown for him. not to mention, it wasn't pleasant for the rest of us.....it took 10 minutes to get him off the ride....long time during a meltdown.....CRUISE. its faster and easier to find a quiet place, looking at the Liberty myself.......

I HOPE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HAVE A WONDERFUL VACATION!

I have to agree with the previous posters, I wsould not go to Disney for Christmas. I have been a Disney fan for years and have lived in Orlando for 3 years after moving from Michigan. It is extremely crowded and the park often reaches capacity and closes. For those that want to experience the Christmas feeling the park is decorated by Thanksgiving and the days after Thanksgiving leading up to Christmas are pretty quite and it is beautiful. In my opinion one of the best times to go.

I wish you and your family the best whatever you chose to do!

I am a BIG fan of Disney.....decorations are spectacular....BUT....Christmas week:eek:

Don't do it....they can only fit so many on a ship...eh....

If you were going early December WDW wins hands down.....Xmas week at Disney is not only very very very crowded....This year it was freezing.

Go to Disney when the kids are in school if possible...take them out...It will be worth it.

Go cruising:D

Kerri

Having been to WDW over Christmas--I would choose the cruise! I love Disney, but just can't do it over the holidays--any holiday. There are just too many people for my liking. Sure, the decorations are beautiful and the extra holiday activities (parades, shows, etc.) are great. Just not worth fighting the crowds or the extra expense, IMHO.

Visit WDW during the first couple of weeks in December if you have to, but take the cruise over Christmas!

We love Disney but I'm not sure I would go during Christmas week. If there is any possible way for you to go the week before then maybe do a day at Disney then a cruise. We are spending two days at Disney and then going on a cruise in January (the Carnival Dream). The parks are much less crowded at this time of the year though. I do think everyone should go at least once, it's a very magical place and there is no place else like it.

Thanks everyone for your input. Now, here is another question. After talking to DH, we have decided to NOT go with the Liberty, even though we all love the ship, he just thinks I will be a basket case the whole trip since it was the last ship we sailed on with my mom 6 months before she died, and after me just seeing two other ships she had sailed (sitting side by side no less, in one of the ports we had visited together - now tell me you wouldnt start crying! what are the ODDS?). After reading responses, I am going to consider the Dream also, but its a different itin that week. Why is the western DOUBLE the cost of the eastern, at least according to Expedia? I normally book through my PVP, but darn, thats a lot of money!

My DH & I just returned from our Christmas Day at the Magic Kingdom..... never again on Christmas Day. We entered the park two hours after leaving the hotel in Downtown Disney. According to WDW staff members the park was closing at 12:30 Noon due to the crowds. There was too many people to enjoy anything - rides, parades and food. Every restaurant had received reservations 180 days earlier. And if you weren't pushed or shoved, you were run over with baby strollers or wheelchairs. The highlight was the cold front that brought rain at 10:30 pm as people were trying to leave the park. Due to the strong winds, the ferry was closed. The wait time in line for the Monorail was over two hours, then we walked in the rain to the bus stop for the shuttle back to the hotel. We got back to our room around 1:45 AM. Next year we will take a cruise!

Disney is best seen in the middle of the week in early spring (not spring break) or the fall. Hope this helps with your planning. Happy New Year!!

whatever you decide on...get there a few days early and be prepared to stayed longer than expected....and expect snowstorms and other variables to wreck havoc with travel plans...it has happened several times over the last few years...oh and buy a travel insurance policy.

My cousin just spent thousands of dollars to get her daughter back from London in time for Christmas.....the original airline apparantly had no clout at Heathrow and could not get flights out...even after it reopened...but a different airline from a neighboring country (Ireland) got her out via Manchester/Shannon/JFK and treated her like gold...when Heathrow locked tousands of pax out in the snow and said they couldn't help them. Of course the tix she finally got that got her home was a last minute, one way business class seat costing thousands....with no insurance to cover this sort of thing as she had to find her own tix when it was all to apparant that her original airline was unable to get any runway space at Heathrow...and yes it was a British based airline....had she stayed with the original airline..which would have saved her the extra money...she would still be in London

whatever you decide on...get there a few days early and be prepared to stayed longer than expected....and expect snowstorms and other variables to wreck havoc with travel plans...it has happened several times over the last few years...oh and buy a travel insurance policy.

My cousin just spent thousands of dollars to get her daughter back from London in time for Christmas.....the original airline apparantly had no clout at Heathrow and could not get flights out...even after it reopened...but a different airline from a neighboring country (Ireland) got her out via Manchester/Shannon/JFK and treated her like gold...when Heathrow locked tousands of pax out in the snow and said they couldn't help them. Of course the tix she finally got that got her home was a last minute, one way business class seat costing thousands....with no insurance to cover this sort of thing as she had to find her own tix when it was all to apparant that her original airline was unable to get any runway space at Heathrow...and yes it was a British based airline....had she stayed with the original airline..which would have saved her the extra money...she would still be in London

I am probably jinxing myself here, but we have been pretty lucky the last few years around here. It has snowed, but not in such mass multitudes its is closing airports down. I'm already trying to figure out which local airports have direct flights to Florida so I can avoid ORD and DTW. We are kinda lucky where we are - the middle of Michigan where we dont have the lake effect snow, and in the middle (about 45 minute drive) of three airports that have direct flights to FL. But I can guarantee, as soon as we book, we will be buying trip insurance!

I am probably jinxing myself here, but we have been pretty lucky the last few years around here. It has snowed, but not in such mass multitudes its is closing airports down. I'm already trying to figure out which local airports have direct flights to Florida so I can avoid ORD and DTW. We are kinda lucky where we are - the middle of Michigan where we dont have the lake effect snow, and in the middle (about 45 minute drive) of three airports that have direct flights to FL. But I can guarantee, as soon as we book, we will be buying trip insurance!

Smart move. Coming from west mi with the lake affect snow...the first thing I did when I book our cruise for next Christmas was buy travel insurance.

We were at Disney World from 12/11 to 12/17, loved seeing the Christmas lights and decorations, hated the cold weather. December in Florida can be unpredictable. Everyone is right, Christmas week is very crowded but if you plan right you can avoid the crowds, I use Tourguide Mike and never stand in long lines. Do a little research and see if it would work for you. There are a lot of Disney World sites with lots of advice, just like Cruise Critic.

I have never sailed at Christmastime but I think you will find the ships really crowded too. More cabins filled to capacity, lots of families with lots of kids. It is also usually the most expensive week to cruise. Read some reviews of Christmas cruises to see if it is really when you want to cruise.

As a cast member, I can tell you that there is a BIG difference between the week of 12/11 and Christmas week at WDW.

Another vote to stay the heck away from Disney the week of Christmas! I was just reading in the news today that Disneyland stopped selling tickets at 10AM this morning because of the crowds and were sending everyone over to California Adventure, which also soon stopped selling tickets.

For the past couple of years I've been trying to talk my family into cruising over Thanksgiving or Christmas.

My DH and I are considering taking our DS (13) and DD (10) on vacation next Christmas versus doing the traditional Christmas. Originally I was gun-ho for Disney as my children have never been there, but we love cruising. They have been on one for far. So this is what we are considering - either the Freedom or the Liberty (which we have all been on) leaving 12/24 or Disney World. The biggest reason why I am questioning Disney is because my son is autistic and not a huge fan of rides, plus my DH really hates crowds, but does well on ships. The ships both head to the Eastern Carb those trips, which are ports we have never been to. So, should we do cruise or Disney, and which ship would you recommend?

Having been to Disney for four Christmases while my daughter worked there, I can tell you based on two things that you say you want to cruise. Beginning the week before Christmas through the weekend after New Years day is the busiest time of the year at Disney. Often the parks are so full that they stop admitting guests. To say that they are crowded is being very understated. they are packed. As far as rides, you will spend a lot of time in line to get on a few rides.

I love Disney and would have a hard time selecting between the two BUT I have been there so much that I just go to get the ambience not the rides. The holidays are not the time for a first time Disney visitor.

For me it is a tough choice, for you it is easy. Grab the cruise and definitley go to Disney for a week at a different time of the year.

When our kids were younger we went on the Disney Cruise durning xmas and when we returned from that, we did Disney World, there were no crowds , Most had gone home and we were even told its not busy after January 2, they kids had a lot of fun as we did too..though our youngest at that time was only 18 months old we still had a great time.We have about 14 years difference between our oldest and youngest

Even though it was very cold at Disney the past couple of weeks, it wasn't -2 - at least not Fahrenheit. Since the poster was from Canada I'm assuming they meant -2 Celsius. It did get into the mid 20's at night a few times. As a cast member I was wearing so many clothes I felt like the Michelin man. Other than last year and it's doing it again this year, the weather isn't too bad at Christmas but then again you never know what it's going to be. Just bring lots of clothes.

I have to state again that the parks will be very, very busy and the wait times are horrendous. Yes, the Magic Kingdom will close several times during the Christmas holidays. The parks are decorated beautifully and there are special fireworks presentations and parades that should not be missed but I'm really glad I don't have to play tourist during this time. We go into the park just to look around and maybe do one attraction.

We've done cruises at Christmas because my husband was a teacher and that was when we could go. That is the most expensive time to cruise and the ships are at capacity but it's still not as bad as being at Disney. We love Disney but Christmas might not be the best choice for a first time and for your circumstances. But, if you do go next year, stop by Epcot and see the Candlelight Processional. We'll be there.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Not 100% sure what we are going to do yet, still feeling it out. Working with a PVP about next trip, but may not be until summer 2012. Was talking to DH, and Christmas would cost more $$$ then I can justify. Told him if we are going to pay that much out, I want to go back to Alaska. So we shall see. Thanks for all of the input!

We are thinking of the same? Cruise early Jan 2012 or WDW. We would be going Jan 2-10> What are your thoughts? How are the crowds at WDW that time period? 2 kids that dont like to wait on lines, but we are coming form California and have never been to Disney World>

Thanks

Archived