Cruising or Disney for Christmas 2011.....

lyttleone1977

My DH and I are considering taking our DS (13) and DD (10) on vacation next Christmas versus doing the traditional Christmas. Originally I was gun-ho for Disney as my children have never been there, but we love cruising. They have been on one for far. So this is what we are considering - either the Freedom or the Liberty (which we have all been on) leaving 12/24 or Disney World. The biggest reason why I am questioning Disney is because my son is autistic and not a huge fan of rides, plus my DH really hates crowds, but does well on ships. The ships both head to the Eastern Carb those trips, which are ports we have never been to. So, should we do cruise or Disney, and which ship would you recommend?

My DH and I are considering taking our DS (13) and DD (10) on vacation next Christmas versus doing the traditional Christmas. Originally I was gun-ho for Disney as my children have never been there, but we love cruising. They have been on one for far. So this is what we are considering - either the Freedom or the Liberty (which we have all been on) leaving 12/24 or Disney World. The biggest reason why I am questioning Disney is because my son is autistic and not a huge fan of rides, plus my DH really hates crowds, but does well on ships. The ships both head to the Eastern Carb those trips, which are ports we have never been to. So, should we do cruise or Disney, and which ship would you recommend?

Disney is horrible during Christmas, but a cruise would be nicer. I vote cruise; maybe you should make a poll for this?

...The biggest reason why I am questioning Disney is because my son is autistic and not a huge fan of rides, plus my DH really hates crowds, but does well on ships....

I think you answered your own question right here.

While I think every child should go to Disney at least once in a lifetime, if it fits the budget, I would try to pick an off time, though for Disney that means crowded to a lesser degree or packed!

I vote for a cruise too. I have friends that went to Disney last year at Christmas and said they would NEVER go back during that time. She said the lines were 3 times longer than normal. We went in April of this year to Disney and she pointed out how far the lines were backed up and I would hesitate to go to Disney at Christmas.

CRUISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with the other posters. I am eagerly awaiting our first cruise, so I can't vouch for a ship. I LOVE WDW and would vacation there for weeks on end if I could, but I would not ever want to be there over Christmas due to the crowds. I do want to see the decorations and will go sometime in early December for that.

I have to say go with a cruise over Christmas.

i would love to do a Disney cruise, but we are coming from Michigan, and i can not justify spending that much money on 3 or 4 days when we can spend less on carnival for a longer time period.

We are probably going to lean towards cruising, but which ship?

I would definitely pick the cruise! I am a Disney World FANATIC, however Christmas at Disney is PACKED, so with your son I would avoid that time. We also go in the off season when crowds are very low, and it is a much nicer experience then IMO :)

As far as which ship, having only been on one cruise I can't help you much there :) My first cruise was on the Freedom and it was a lovely trip. I loved the ship - I read a lot about people not liking the decor but I thought it was great! Crew etc was fantastic. We did the western carib itinerary.

i would love to do a Disney cruise, but we are coming from Michigan, and i can not justify spending that much money on 3 or 4 days when we can spend less on carnival for a longer time period.

We are probably going to lean towards cruising, but which ship?

Use a dart board if you dont have a favorite port.

I would lean toward miami or ft. Lauderdale to leave from that time of year. It will be lots warmer further south and more fun the night before to explore the city.

Its easy to get to those ports and a choice of airports to choose from.

orlando to port canaveral is over an hour .. as is from Galveston.. Id skip leaving from those two ports.

Seriously .. to me the ships are so similar and the food is standard across Carnival. Its really up to you if you prefer a smaller or larger ship .. thats about the main choice. I dont see much difference which ship you pick.

You could also do a 3 or 4 day cruise on the Carnival Sensation and then do the rest at Disney. The cruise on Carnival will be a lot cheaper than Disney. I have to add that Disney World will be a mad house the last two weeks of December. We like to go in to the parks to see the decorations and maybe do one attraction or so but we have that option now. The lines will be horrendously long. Since your son has some challenges and your husband doesn't like crowds then this really would not be the best time to go. You won't really get to do a lot but dodge the crowds.

We are doing both. Going on the NCL Gem out of NYC and then when it dock in Port Canveral we are going to Disney for the day.

Just another option.

It is a bit of a ride from the port to Disney & then arranging for adequate time back. Either you must rent a car & drive, which means the rental procedure takes time checking the car out & returning it to the location & then going back to the ship, or going thru the cruiseline & being on their schedule, waiting for other familes to board a bus, check-in, etc.. Time at Disney will also be limited at a high visitor time. I did the NCL Jewel in May & families I spoke with that did the day trip to Disney ranged from slightly disappointed with the limited time to downright angry over the cruiseline's tour charging a whole lot for not much time at the park.

While it is a nice option for someone who may not get back to Florida, I think for an autistic child all that may be a bit overwhelming. I don't know the degree of disability of the OP's child, however, I'd put Disney on hold to a time when you have the option of breaking the day up with trips back to the hotel for a pool/rest break & taking the park in a bit at a time.

BTW to the OP - we were in Kissimmee/Orlando last year the week between Christmas & New Year's holiday & traffic was horrible getting to anywhere around town!!!! It was a true test in patience, which started to wear thin as you sat in traffic anywhere we had to go. I swore I'd never ever go there again on that holiday week!

As a DisneyLAND cast member, I can tell you that the week just before Christmas and the week between Christmas and New Years are the WORST times to go to the park. Even with a "special assistance pass" that you could get for your son, the parks are WAY PACKED, which would not be too much fun, imo. At our parks, if you aren't there by NOON, you can't even get in, since we hit capacity that early. I can only imagine that the World is as packed as we are, if not more so, since they can hold more people.

Someone suggested going when you can stay near there. I also agree with this. It's actually what I tell the guests that ask me while I am there at the park. Go first thing in the am, when it's less crowded, then take a break--go back to the hotel, go out for lunch, take a nap, go swimming--then go back to the park later in the day (after 4 or 5pm, depending on season), and do more. Even as an adult, it's sometimes overwhelming or tiring, and you need that break.

LOL, I get in the World for free, and if I had to pick between Christmas at the parks or a cruise, I sure would pick the cruise! I haven't been to Florida for a few years, and it would cost me more to cruise than to go to the parks, but if you are looking to relax, the cruise will be better in the long run. Less stress, less crowds, less people...

Why not try one day at Disney ahead of the cruise? The parks get very crowded at Christmas time, but you could choose a park (if your son doesn't like rides, I'd pick Animal Kingdom or Epcot - lots to do even if you don't want to ride anything) and spend a day to see how it goes. yes, it's more costly per day to spend one day than 7, but it would give you the chance to see how your son does and avoid the stress for dh - then take the Florida Turnpike or I-95 down to FLL or MIA and cruise - you can stop at Cape Canaveral on the way (great place to spend the day) or play on the beach - it's only about a 5 hour drive, if I'm remembering right ... but I'd do Disney at the earliest possible point to give yourself the best opportunity to avoid huge crowds. We did this a couple years ago - left on 12/21 and it while it was crowded, my friend who actually stayed through Christmas said it was much worse starting on about Christmas Eve all through the next week.

Disney is overrated, overpriced and overcrowded. Cruise.

Also, the Freedom is a great boat if you're looking for a Florida port. I've done two itineraries on it, but the 8-day to Cozumel, Limon and Colon is great.

We did the Liberty to Cozumel, Limon and Colon 3 years ago - the cruise we went on with our children.

It seems we have been all over the Western, so if we go again, I really want to do the Eastern itin. My DH and I went to Alaska this past summer, and it has spoiled the western for me.

I kinda have to watch how much time we take off. I'm not worried about myself as I am self employed, but the DH only has 15 days off a year, and we also take a week in the summer and spend it in Michigans UP, then we are always taking 3 day weekends to spend as much time as we can with the kids. If we do this trip, we have at least 6 days used there.

Disney World will be a more expensive vacation but at Christmas time the parks are amazing. I LOVE christmas time at Disney World. Your kids will be amazed by it.

I was just in Florida for a few days and went on the Saturday before Christmas and it was busy but not crazy as we expected. While Christmas is a very busy time at Disney World, it is still fun.

And your son who is autistic will love it. Make sure to let guest services know about your son, you will get the special assistance pass and every cast member will be even extra nice to your son and family. They usually go above and beyond when they encounter something like that.

If I had the time, I would have spent more than 1 day at Disney World. I love Christmas at Disney.

Another option is a Cruise and Stay package. Do a 3 or 4 day Disney Cruise at the front or back of staying on site at Disney.

As a part time Cast Member at WDW, I can tell you to STAY AWAY FROM DISNEY at Christmas. It is so crowded that you don't have to walk... the crowds will move you. In fact, it gets so crowded that the Parks actually reach capacity by noon and close the lots.

As others have said....stay away from Disney at Christmas...too many people to enjoy anything. You would spend the majority of your time in lines. We have done the Disney Magic, the Disney Wonder and Carnival Freedom. If your kids are into Disney, then IMHO it is worth the price to do the Disney cruise at least once (although I would do the 7 day and not the 3/4 day with Disney World over Christmas). Castaway Cay, the production shows, the "Disney atmosphere", and the food are well worth the price. On the other hand, the Carnival Freedom (Eastern Itinerary) has been our favorite Carnival cruise so far. We loved the ship, the itinerary, the food, and the shows were good (not Disney quality, but still good). Good luck in making your decision.

One more voice saying "Stay away from Disney World at Christmas time".

I love Walt Disney World but I would never recommend going at Christmas time for a first visit.

Maybe try one of the larger ships - like the Dream or the Magic (yes they are more of a pain to get to but I think it might be worth it). They seem to have the most to appeal to teens.

I have been on both of these ships. Both are good. But my favorite was the Freedom. Yes it is a sister ship to the Liberty but it is newer and IMO a lot better, especially the spa with it's pool and wirlpool. Steak house on this ship is also fantastic. We have cruised with our kids for years, on holidays and off season. My kids would take a cruise for Christmas in a heart beat. We have sailed over Thanksgiving on the Freedom, and had no problems, with the extra children on board I think it was aroun 1100-1200 of them, but you would not have known it. So I would do either ship again, but my favorite as said was the Freedom. I do not think you will be disappointed. Have a great cruise.

Archived