Has anyone use Iphones to navigate Rome? Please share

leo22

This July Hubby and I are doing 1 week in Rome, post-cruise. My only fear, since I was a child, is getting lost so I want to have the best navigation gadgets I can get my hands on. There are plenty of Iphone apps available for Rome with GPS, POI, restaurants etc. Has anyone ever use their Iphones this way? Is this a good option or should I just get an aportable GPS?

Thanks so much!

I had some preloaded maps, schedules and other info on my Iphone that I stored using the GoodReader app. It worked well. I did not want to pay outrageous roaming (no pun intended) charges so I did not use the built in GPS at all. We did use a portable GPS which worked well most of the time.

Kirk

We spent four nights in Rome before taking a train to Venice to catch a TA to Ft. Lauderdale in October of this year. I purchased the app described here for our stay in Rome. I liked it so much I downloaded their Barcelona app also.

Lew

20101228-gxg7c5emwcwr4ff232dggrdw4k.jpg

Oh my, or better yet - don't think of it as getting lost - but rather "exploring" The historical part of Rome is so wonderful for walking around.......or strolling as they do. Our favorite part of our last trip there was just walking......no agenda, no map just headed out and found so many cool things. The small streets (more like alleys) would open onto a small piazza with a cool obelisk, or fountain or whatever....etc......

Truly, this is one of the best things about Rome. Take some time to try it ! It is so easy to fill your time with tours and sites to see...... but to slow down a bit and "wander" is really a treat.

and most hotels give out a great map (not the one that hawks tours) which with the tiny crazy streets there works the best ! And if you get turned around - ask any local and they will gladly get you back on track and usually with a big smile !

Just be aware that if you use your GPS on your iPhone, you are going to be incurring large charges. Best to turn data roaming off, or place your phone in airplane mode. I really don't think you need to purchase a portable GPS for one trip to Rome.

I find these maps very useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Rome-Map-Laminated-Folding/dp/1931257027/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293648409&sr=8-1

Just be aware that if you use your GPS on your iPhone, you are going to be incurring large charges.

Not necessarily...

If the app you're using contains the map data needed to function, like the ROM app I mentioned above, the iPhone's data function does not need to be turned on. Navigation apps written by Navigon and TomTom contain all the map data necessary to function so they can operate when not within cell tower range.

The Maps app on the iPhone, on the other had, needs a cell or wifi connection in order to download map data. Using an app such as this could ring up a large bill when traveling in Europe.

Lew

All great advices...thanks everyone! I will definitely look into all your great suggestions!

I could also just be overly worried....it's probably not the end of the world to get lost once in awhile....maybe just once....

Just remember to take a card with the address of the place you are staying at so you can get back w/o problems. Also, I have a trackback app in my Droid that works off the GPS - there is also probably one available for the iPhone.

DON

So far I have been lost in London,Paris,Rome and Venice. Loved every moment of it.Think of it as exploring a new wonderful place. It is OK to get lost,really it is. If you just have an address written down where you are staying you can always just hop in a taxi to get back. I like to make my own walking tours using Google maps from place to place. I have a Google map right now that I put together starting at Termini and ending at St Peters. Google is your friend.:D Some of the most wonderful things we have experienced was while we were "lost".

Archived