Clicking too Many CC threads.....

sail7seas

Good grief already. A wireless mouse is like the simpliest cheapest easiest computer accessory to buy and there is no installation other than sticking the little gizmo into a USB port. Why has this become such a major deal? The entire purchase will take about 5 minutes.

Clearly if I had known that' date=' I would not have asked. But thank you ....anyway. :) [/b']

Sail - Can't speak to the other brands, but my microsoft wireless mouse has a cavity on the underside that the piece that you slide into the USB port can be stored in when in transit. I find that very handy. It may be that is the case w/all brands, but perhaps worth asking about.

Mike

Good grief already. A wireless mouse is like the simpliest cheapest easiest computer accessory to buy and there is no installation other than sticking the little gizmo into a USB port. Why has this become such a major deal? The entire purchase will take about 5 minutes.

You are correct' date=' this is a simple, easy computer accessory to buy and set up; however, how would one know this if they are not familiar with the item and have never done it before? You will spend a great deal more time than 5 minutes if you are not sure what you are looking for. I don't see that this has 'become a major deal' at all. [/size']

Sail - Can't speak to the other brands, but my microsoft wireless mouse has a cavity on the underside that the piece that you slide into the USB port can be stored in when in transit. I find that very handy. It may be that is the case w/all brands, but perhaps worth asking about.

Mike

I think mice vary more from model to model than they do from brand to brand. I have 2 Logitec mice and they are totally different. One has no on off switch an the other has a pouch to store the mouse and transmitter. You just have to look at each box.

Does anyone know if using a wired mouse with a laptop would be easier on the laptops battery than a wireless (either USB or Bluetooth)?

That would be another point to consider, if you use it heavily between charges....

I don't think it makes a bit of difference to the laptop battery, the mouse power all comes from the mouse batteries. BTW, I've been very pleased with rechargable batteries in the mouse.

Roy

My Logitech has both an on/off switch and the storage place for the port attachment. They are simple devices and self-explanatory on the boxes. I don't remember even talking to a salesperson when I bought mine. The only time I ever take the port thing out of the laptop is if I am traveling and putting my laptop in its carry case.

With the Nano receiver, you don't even need to do that! :D

Being basically lazy, I was going to ask, "Nano receiver, what's that?," but, as they say, "google is my friend" (well, most of the time it is) and I easily found out for myself (sample). Cool!:cool:!!! Thanks for the tip, Heather!

Sail,

When you are looking at a wireless mouse there is a USB receiver that will have to be plugged into your laptop. These come in different sizes (Length) I have been advised to buy the shortest one possible then there is less chance of it breaking off if the laptop is bumped into something hard. The person that told me of this found out the hard way, his broke off and it cost many $$$ for repairs.

Riverwatcher

Exactly my point in recommending a bluetooth mouse for a bluetooth enabled laptop :D NOTHING is sticking out, as the wireless dongle is not needed and the mouse is self-powered.

Being basically lazy, I was going to ask, "Nano receiver, what's that?," but, as they say, "google is my friend" (well, most of the time it is) and I easily found out for myself (sample). Cool!:cool:!!! Thanks for the tip, Heather!

You are very welcome. I am completely wireless. Who needs cords???:) But the little receiver is really terrific and I can't see how it could possibly get knocked out.

I learn every single day ...now I have a Blu-Ray that accesses the internet!!! Gets Netflix, Pandora, YouTube ... you name it! I may be old, but I'm not out!!:D

I don't think it makes a bit of difference to the laptop battery, the mouse power all comes from the mouse batteries. BTW, I've been very pleased with rechargable batteries in the mouse.

Roy

But what about the radio frequency power that must be used to transpond with the mouse?

I suppose it is extremely low...lower perhaps than the drain of using a corded mouse?

Does anyone know if using a wired mouse with a laptop would be easier on the laptops battery than a wireless (either USB or Bluetooth)?

That would be another point to consider, if you use it heavily between charges....

I don't think it makes a bit of difference to the laptop battery, the mouse power all comes from the mouse batteries. BTW, I've been very pleased with rechargable batteries in the mouse
But the rechargable batteries have to be recharged periodically, which has a miniscule draw on the laptop battery unless you recharge them externally somehow. I wish there was some way to know the power level on the batteries in my Targus mouse before it gets to the point of the cursor acting "sticky", meaning the batteries need recharging. :(

Yes, I got a mouse at Staples. :)

I got a Logitech with nano-receiver so small it can stay in USB port but there is a slot to store it inside mouse if wish. I like it automatically goes to sleep mode when not in use.

I haven't connected it yet as the laptop pad is still working and it really is my preference to use it as long as I can. There are times there's no spring action or it sticks so I know it's on 'its last legs'.

Sail7Seas, As one who is tech-challenged I really appreciate that you asked this question. The many replies helped me understand the best solution(s) as well as the logic involved and the reasons folks make their different choices. I'm grateful that CC members are willing to answer, with explanation, when a question is asked.

Archived