weather cancellation questions

onkell

I would like to understand exactly what happens when I purchase trip insurance and my flight is canceled due to snow. First I would call who I booked through such as RCCL and they would attempt to get us on another flight? What if we can't get another flight and miss the cruise? They try to fly us to the next port? How often is this successful? Does this happen frequently in the winter months?

We are considering flying out of Philadelphia at the end of Jan and I am so worried this will happen and it all sounds so confusing. I almost feel it is not worth taking the risk. Please help me put my mind at ease.

I would like to understand exactly what happens when I purchase trip insurance and my flight is canceled due to snow. First I would call who I booked through such as RCCL and they would attempt to get us on another flight? What if we can't get another flight and miss the cruise? They try to fly us to the next port? How often is this successful? Does this happen frequently in the winter months?

We are considering flying out of Philadelphia at the end of Jan and I am so worried this will happen and it all sounds so confusing. I almost feel it is not worth taking the risk. Please help me put my mind at ease.

Although you would alert the cruise line that your flight was cancelled, and they 'at times' will attempt to assist you. Normally you will have to pay for the new flight and any other expenses up front and then put a claim through to your travel insurance. Travel insurance is not owned by the cruise line, so they don't pick up the tab for you to catch up to the ship, these are normally reimbursed by the travel insurance after the claim is filed. Make sure to take a credit card with you that you could use to book another flight if needed. If your travel insurance you purchased covers the delay, they will reimburse you later after you file the claim, but they do not pay up front for flights, hotels, meals or anything else. At least no travel insurance we have ever purchased does.

Also, keep in mind that if you booked your flights yourself and not through the cruise line, but purchased cruise insurance but no flight insurance, the flight will not be insured or reimbursed as it isn't covered under the cruise policy unless purchased through 'some' cruise lines. While others, such as Princess, no longer cover the flights, you have to book a seperate policy for those to be covered now.

You also have to document *everything*, burden of proof is yours when a claim is filed. For example it's wise to get an airline printout showing the flight was indeed cancelled. Or lacking that I would take a photo of the airport monitor.

Also, you can't simply give up and go home. A bona fide, good faith effort must be made to get back on your itenerary.

These comments apply to trip insurance in general and aren't limited to air arranged by the cruiseline. But in the case of cruiseline arranged air your rebooking options are often very limited; numerous threads on this board explain it.

Do you have a copy of the travel insurance? You should get one and read it for lots of details you might need. Like the definition of trip delay, how long of a delay is needed to have coverage, etc. Delays caused by different things are handled differently, weather is usually the insurance policy, mechanical problems usually the airline, you need to read the policy.

You could see if you can do air deviation for the cruise, i.e. pay a fee to go in a day early that really helps mitigate the risk although obviously some weather delays take longer to clear up.

Also there is a a cruise air board and a cruise travel insurance board here on CC that I often visit just to get educated on the topics.

Good luck.

I’m glad to see you are asking these questions instead of “assuming” what you would do. Most all (including me once a long time ago) think that the cruise line or insurance company would help us find a way to get to the ship once we had a flight cancelled. The brutal honest answer to that is “no” they won’t. It will be the responsibility of the airline and/or you to find an alternative to get to the ship.

Yes, as explained by the other posters, your “flight” insurance should (read your terms) reimburses you for additional expenses getting to the ship. But you need to make an honest attempt to catch the ship regardless where/when it is on the itinerary.

Too many stories of passengers giving up if they can’t catch the ship at the departure port and then the insurance company not paying them because they didn’t catch the ship at a different port on the itinerary.

The only way I can suggest “putting your mind at ease” is to plan to fly in a couple days ahead of time before your cruise and do your own home work and find a plan B, C, and D with alternative flights.

Remember, a trip planned with alternative flights is the best way to enjoy a vacation ;)

John

It will be the responsibility of the airline and/or you to find an alternative to get to the ship.

To clarify, as far as the airline's responsibility.... if you booked your flight independently of the cruise, the airline is only responsible for getting you to your original air destination. Meaning, for example: If you miss your flight to Miami due to weather, and thus miss your cruise out of Miami, the airline is NOT responsible for getting you to the next port of call; they are only responsible for getting you to Miami. That you missed your cruise and no longer have a need to go to Miami is not their problem.

This really should reiteriate the need to fly in EARLY anytime you live, fly through, or your flight flies through ANY weather. People are constantly asking should I fly in the day of the cruise. We can't do anything about weather.:cool::cool:

Another clarification/point to remember:

"Insurance" is there to reimburse you for actual financial losses and expenses. It is in no way a "travel agent" or representative to "get you there". It is up to your own efforts for you to complete your trip. The "insurance" is to protect you from financial loss, and even then, is subject to all of the terms & conditions listed in the fine print of the policy.

Can someone also explain..When you are offered Flight Ins as you're booking your flight online directly with a carrier (DL)..What does that Ins. protect ??

Completely depends on the specific terms of what you are purchasing. The one true absolute about travel insurance is -- there are no true absolutes. Every policy is different, every insurance carrier is different, and every generalization on the subject has many, many exceptions and exclusions.

In other words.....you need to read the fine print details yourself. DL's website link (HERE) gives you links to the insurance carrier, as well as a phone number to call. Note that DL mentions several different levels of coverage, so even there you have a variety of "protections" to choose from.

Caveat emptor.

(Rhetorical question -- Would you really take the statement of an anonymous poster on the internet about your coverage rather than read the T&C yourself??)

Just a general comment the Philly airport, closes, subject to delays etc all winter. It is NEVER a good idea to box yourself into having to get to a cruise the same day you are flying. Even if one flight cancels, the ripple down effect is significant in these times of fewer and fuller flights. If you miss a flight due to a cancelation- do not expect to get going any time soon.

Archived