Need advice- Allure vs Freedom

Hello! I am new to cruise critic. My family of 4- 2 kids, 7 and 9, is wanting to go on a cruise. I have been looking at the Freedom of the Seas and the Allure. Has anyone been on both? Or could direct me to which ship would be best for my family? I was leaning towards the Allure until I found out that shows have to be reserved before hand. With my 2 kids, I can't guarantee that we will make it to our specific showtime. Allure has a zipline and the aquashow, which my kids would enjoy. Both ships are going to the same ports. I hear that the food on both is mediocre unless you reserve at one of the pay for fee restaurants. My kids would not like the nicer restaurants- but I sure would!! The freedom would save me about $1000. Is the Allure worth it? What else on the Allure costs extra besides food specialty reataurants? We so not drink or gamble, so that is not an issue. This will be my third cruise, and my kids' first. Any advice is appreciated.

I'd start will Freedom, since this is your 1st cruise....if you do Allure, there's nowhere to go but "down", as far as ship size and "bells and whistles" go!

On Freedom, there is MORE than enough for both parents and kids! Save that money, get your feet "wet" on Freedom and have a great time!

I hear that the food on both is mediocre unless you reserve at one of the pay for fee restaurants.

I find RCL food to be well presented and always find something I like to eat. Maybe the person who thinks it is only mediocre is a gourmet?

I would take any and all comments like that about subjective items as just someone's opinion .. and opinions can vary so widely when its not a black or white issue.

.. but I like pizza and deli sandwiches and buffets and eating in a gorgeous dining room.

Freedom might be a better place to start, since it has many features you want. You can zip line in a port.

Your decision, but there is nothing wrong with the food on the Allure. I was on the pre-inaugural the end of November, and the food was very good.

With the Boardwalk area and the children's areas, I think you will actually find more for the kids on the Allure.

To watch the Aquashows and have room for the kiddos to mover around if they get restless, go up to the 8-11th decks, all the way to the end. There is a door to go outside to the little decks that overlook the back of the ship and the Aquashow area. Great place to observe and see everything from above.

However, a $1,000 is a lot of money.

Archived