Something Different in San Diego

dag144

We often leave from San Diego because living in Southern California by do so we don't have to take a plane. We go to San Diego the evening before and stay at the Bayside Holiday Inn. They have free shuttle service to and from the hotel.

When we got to the pier we check our bags and get our room keys etc. Then we leave the terminal and have a nice leisurely lunch at Anthony's on the Pier, a well-known seafood restaurant about a three minute walk from the terminal.

It's a fun way to start a cruise and does provide from the free Lido lunch will I will be enjoying for the next week or two. Plan to do this again on our next cruise on the Zaandam on Jan 12th!

Thought I would share this will you all. Happy cruising

The Fish Market restaurant is just 1/2 mile south, just beyond the USS Midway, and also Rainwater's on Kettner is excellent and just 2-3 blocks away from the pier. For others, there is a Ruth Chris's steakhouse just steps away. If you want a good breakfast, try Hazelwood's across the street from the B Street pier.

David

The Fish Market restaurant is just 1/2 mile south, just beyond the USS Midway, and also Rainwater's on Kettner is excellent and just 2-3 blocks away from the pier. For others, there is a Ruth Chris's steakhouse just steps away. If you want a good breakfast, try Hazelwood's across the street from the B Street pier.

David

We have eaten at the Fish Market quite a few times. Love sitting out on the deck and watching the boats go by.

Another fun place to visit is Seaport Village. It's a collection of shops and restaurants right on the water. It's part of a park that's fun to walk around in. Go south past the Midway and keep following the water until you come to it. For another fun place to eat I recommend Joe's Crab Shack. We ordered their steam pot. There's different choices but it's basically a huge basket of clams, crab legs or sometimes lobster, along with corn on the cob. We ordered an appetizer and one steam pot and it was plenty for two. You eat with your hands and wear a bib. Fun! They have other things on their menu also.

Will be in San Diego for the day on the Amsterdam, is there shopping close to the pier?

There is shopping reasonably close to the pier. When you get off the ship and leave the terminal area go to the right and walk past the Midway Museum and you will arrive at Sea Port Village. Plenty of shopping there. It is about a 10 minute walk. If you walk straight up Broadway you will find the Sante Fe Depot. For 5 dollars you can buy an all day pass on the Trolley. My recommendation would be to take the Blue Line to Old Town. It is a 10 minute trolley ride. Great food and shopping there. Or you could jump on the Orange Line and head to the Gas Lamp Quarter. I hope you enjoy your stop to our wonderful city.

The cruise terminal is quite close to the main downtown shopping area of San Diego. It is perhaps 1.5 to 2.0 miles, a short cab ride. There is also a fun trolley system which will take you to old town, an area where you can get a feeling for old San Diego, lots of restaurants and shops.:)

The Fish Market restaurant is just 1/2 mile south, just beyond the USS Midway,

David

I second the recommendation on the Fish Market... we've eaten at both Anthony's and the Fish Market. Both are very good, but I think the Fish Market is better. It's always packed, so expect a wait or get there early!

Anthony's is a chain that started in the Seattle area. We have the top rated (by Anthony's management) one here in Richland, Washington. My wife and I eat there regularly because we like it and the kids give us gift cards for them. During the week they have a bargain 4 course menu for under $20.

• 2 weeks later...
There is shopping reasonably close to the pier. When you get off the ship and leave the terminal area go to the right and walk past the Midway Museum and you will arrive at Sea Port Village. Plenty of shopping there. It is about a 10 minute walk. If you walk straight up Broadway you will find the Sante Fe Depot. For 5 dollars you can buy an all day pass on the Trolley. My recommendation would be to take the Blue Line to Old Town. It is a 10 minute trolley ride. Great food and shopping there. Or you could jump on the Orange Line and head to the Gas Lamp Quarter. I hope you enjoy your stop to our wonderful city.

We have 8 hours after we debark until our plane. Is there a place on or near the pier where we can stow our luggage and do a little SD sightseeing?

Interesting background from Univ. of San Diego's San Diego History Center:

"Catherine Bregante was born in Riva Trigotrigo, Italy on the seacoast not far from Genoa. In 1912 her family came to San Diego and settled at 2136 Columbia Street. In 1916 her father, Anthony, opened a small fish market on F Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets. Catherine and her brother Anthony Jr. operated the market. In 1926 the store was moved to a larger location at the foot of Broadway where both wholesale and retail business was conducted. A food counter was installed where sea food cocktails and chowder were served. The company prospered through the depression years and Michael Ghio, husband of Catherine since 1916, went to work for the Bregante concern. In 1934 Michael Ghio died and Catherine supported her children by continuing to work in the sea food restaurant. In 1946 when her sons Tod and Anthony came home from service, they opened the first Anthony's Grotto, a restaurant on the embarcadero with a seating capacity of sixteen. From the first Grotto the business has grown to a multi-outlet industry with about six hundred employees..."

The Ghio's are one of San Diego's oldest and best known families.

Archived