Pinnacle Grill is on life support

ASIWISH

Agreed----a simpler method is for one to simply not eat everything on the plate if the serving size is too large. Of course that presents a different set of problems because the waiters wring their hands and the dining room manager hovers around thinking you are displeased. Even after you assure them that you are simply watching your caloric intake, they don't quite believe you. Who would have thought that so much attention would be paid to such a minor detail --or even noticed---when the dining room is full of people and very busy?:o

The point here was suggesting if this would (1) eliminate waste and hopefully (2) save money by not preparing and serving the over-large portions in the first place, if this was not the passenger request up front.

You are exactly right. It is spelled out on the web site. However to make sure, I called Hal, customer service to inquire about tipping practices. The response I got was....we are a cashless society. If you wish to adjust the daily $11.00 dollar charge, you may do so at the end of the cruise, by adding it on to your onboard charges. I have always handed out extra dollars for good service when I cruise. These people work hard and $11.00 dollars a day divided amoung many crew members doesn't amount to much....so I tip.

I normally only order either a appy/soup/salad (one of those), entree and dessert. Period. I'm full but never overstuffed. Besides, traveling with Mr. PirateShark who orders one of EACH section, I do get to try bites of stuff on things I'm curious about. I figure if I'm starving (unlikely) at 10:00pm, there is room service or something to snack on.

In all, I don't think I eat more portion wise than home, just different things. Haven't gained weight on a cruise - yet - because I don't deviate from my home eating patterns much at all. Guess I'm lucky!

No one has to order soup, salad, appetizer, entree, dessert. One can order an entree and coffee/tea, or soup and salad, or any smaller combination than a huge meal.

When dining with a partner, it ruins the flow of the dinner when courses get eliminated so the other diner is sitting there twiddling thumbs while the other one is able to enjoy all courses.

Plus I think all HAL courses are fun to sample, I mainly just want to cut down the main course portion and not eliminate any of the courses. I always try to get half-portions but this often does not work out.

And yes, it is always a big deal when I leave half behind with the waiter regardless of how often I tell them I can't eat that much. I wonder how portion sizes get selected because this too must be a fine art at this stage of the game.

The point here was suggesting if this would (1) eliminate waste and hopefully (2) save money by not preparing and serving the over-large portions in the first place, if this was not the passenger request up front.

What "over-large" portions? There aren't many in HAL MDR's. No, I am not a huge eater (though I can have a healthy appetite at times) but I can enjoy the luxury of sometimes trying two main courses because the portions are on the smaller size.

Having to prepare and cook three diffent portions sizes will not neccesarily save anything: how does one determine how many of each size to prepare for a dinner service?

I just don't think your idea is practical on a ship.

I was agreeing with Boytjie's reply to your suggestion and not replying to your post. Then I added the solution that I use personally.

We all can relate to a bad meal or bad service from time to time in many different situations. However, it is frustrating to experience this when we pay extra for that meal or service. There is nothing wrong with expressing disappointment when our expectations are not met. Keeping things in perspective is the key here. The best thing would be for Hal will read these posts and make the adjustment to exceed expectations 100 percent of the time.

What "over-large" portions? There aren't many in HAL MDR's. No, I am not a huge eater (though I can have a healthy appetite at times) but I can enjoy the luxury of sometimes trying two main courses because the portions are on the smaller size.

Having to prepare and cook three diffent portions sizes will not neccesarily save anything: how does one determine how many of each size to prepare for a dinner service?

The point was to make this request up front and after a while there might well be a pattern to this that the ship can learn to accommdate. They "know" how many people will order liver and how many people will order lobster after years of experience, so why not also be able to "know" over time how many would prefer smaller or larger portions, if they give passengers these choices.

If there is no inherent cost savings and it is impossible logistically, then agree dump the idea. Just tossing it out to see if this could work for both cost savings and waste disposal savings.

Certainly if it costs more to provide smaller portions due to the sheer complications of logistics, this is no savings. Agreed.

When dining with a partner, it ruins the flow of the dinner when courses get eliminated so the other diner is sitting there twiddling thumbs while the other one is able to enjoy all courses.

Nearly every dinner my DH will order at least one course and I don't. I don't mind sitting at the table while he eats. I am not twiddling my thumbs as we are constantly talking.

Nearly every dinner my DH will order at least one course and I don't. I don't mind sitting at the table while he eats. I am not twiddling my thumbs as we are constantly talking.

Me bad. I would be pouting.:p

Thanks for the link. Very interesting, but of course still not verifiable and Philip, who suggested $12.-13./day stated that food costs would continue to go up (and the thread was over a year old). Sounds like others have said, These costs would be a guarded secret. I just thought $5.00 per dinner seemed a a little low. I do understand the economy in cooking for thousands. I would have guessed something like $7.00 for dinners.

No kidding. I don't know how any guy could get full on those portions unless they are 80 years old. I think Sail7seas suggestion that a person doesn't have to order every course was an excellent one.....but then that would only work for one person. So much better to cause a major disruption to a flow that already works;):D.

Having to prepare and cook three diffent portions sizes will not neccesarily save anything:.............

Not sure there would be any need to change preparation, only reducing (or increasing) the serving sizes of dishes already prepared when the food is plated.

Or, even having different sized dishes for the main course - small, medium and large and then "filling" the plate to its unique diameter would one way to offer different portion sizes that were pre-requested.

When the server picks up his orders, he picks up a regular and a small as he moves along the line. Anyone here who can tell the tale of what happens in real time between taking our orders and then delivering the various courses and choices? What happens when the servers disappear down the hall and come back laden with stacks of covered plates?

Again, always considering the balance between logistics and efficiencies here.

....So much better to cause a major disruption to a flow that already works;):D.

So it would appear! ;):D:rolleyes:

Here's one more vote for the status quo and avoiding unnecessary complications (not to mention the inevitable complaints about comparative portion sizes).

Seems to me you are leaning more towards illogical innefficiencies here. Most cruise lines have the same system and experience has proven them right on this one. Nothing against improvements where possible, but I would drop this one.

Not sure there would be any need to change preparation, only reducing (or increasing) the serving sizes of dishes already prepared when the food is plated.

Or, even having different sized dishes for the main course - small, medium and large and then "filling" the plate to its unique diameter would one way to offer different portion sizes that were pre-requested.

When the server picks up his orders, he picks up a regular and a small as he moves along the line. Anyone here who can tell the tale of what happens in real time between taking our orders and then delivering the various courses and choices? What happens when the servers disappear down the hall and come back laden with stacks of covered plates?

There is food preparation involved such as cutting up meat etc in portion sizes. Now how many liver eaters want small/medium/large? And does the cooking time need to be adjusted for smaller portions? They get pictures of how the plates are to be presented for uniformity - three pictures for each dish?

It's not as simple as you may think.

Plus I think all HAL courses are fun to sample, I mainly just want to cut down the main course portion and not eliminate any of the courses. I always try to get half-portions but this often does not work out.

And yes, it is always a big deal when I leave half behind with the waiter regardless of how often I tell them I can't eat that much. I wonder how portion sizes get selected because this too must be a fine art at this stage of the game.

:confused: What disruption? I don't believe I have ever in my life twiddled my thumbs either figuratively or literally.

It is no issue for us. DH often order one or two courses more than me. So what? I'm relaxing, enjoying our conversation, the ambience and being with DH on a lovely cruise. What's the problem? He eats what he wants and I choose how much/what I want. No waiter has ever made a 'big deal' I didn't clean my plate.

They ask if everything was fine and when I answer Yes, Thank you, I've had enough, they take my plate away.

That is part of Gracious service.

There is food preparation involved such as cutting up meat etc in portion sizes. Now how many liver eaters want small/medium/large? And does the cooking time need to be adjusted for smaller portions? They get pictures of how the plates are to be presented for uniformity - three pictures for each dish?

It's not as simple as you may think.

As in all things on a ship, there is limited space for setting out the plates for the stewards to pick up to serve their tables. Their simply is not space to put small, medium and large portions of all the nightly offerings.

Eat what you want and leave what is too much for you. There is no special award at the end of the cruise for the 'clean plate club'. :D

If there is galley space for regular sized dinner plates, there is space to substitute some of those plates with smaller plate sizes. In fact, it would open even more space due to their smaller size. They can judge how many they would need just like they judge how many people typically drink orange juice in the morning and not grapefruit juice. They are good at this.

Goal: cutting food waste to reduce food costs.

No trays in the Lido seems to help. Code Red for those first few days of cruising was also raised as an intriguing possibility that also cuts down on amount of food taken, besides being operational for disease transmission concerns.

I think they are calling 'those few days' at the start of the cruises where there is no self service in Lido "code yellow".

Now, are we also suggesting they use more plate sizes just to complicate service even more? :D Wouldn't proper dinner service require use of entree size dinner plates? I think we'd be so much better off leaving this to those who know how to do it. HAL has been in business over 135 years. I imagine they probably know better than us how to run dining on a cruise ship. ;) I feel really confident if there is a way for HAL to cut food costs effectively, they well know those methods.

At least, that is my opinion. :)

Yes, HAL in its long years of service does know how to do it better, since there is a delightful old HAL promotional video floating around from the 1950's that shows both bunk beds in the cabins and serving the MDR table family style off a main platter of food.

Ahhh, for the good old days when HAL let you decide on your portion size at the table when served, and not down in the kitchen and out of your control.

Actually, Philip is a ship's hotel manager with a few decades of experience.

Thanks for the info. So, Philip is a hotel manager! I would never have guessed.

He is certainly the right man to talk to about inconsistent quality on the ship!!!

In Callo (Lima), I watched the Hotel Manager (Hans Dernison) and several officers on the pier. Were they there to watch the ship load provisions?

No! They were there to greet the arriving passengers. Hans shook the hanks of several. Smiled a lot. Seemed like an amiable guy and easy to talk to. That's my idea of what a hotel manager should be!

Archived