Need opinions on Indonesian port stops

KL Smith

We will be on the Volendam in March doing a 32 day cruise from AUK to SING. In my research I am surprised at the number of extremely negative reports about the Semarang, Padang Bai, and Tanjung/Jakarta stops.

Can anyone shed any positive light on these ports?

Specifically I am hearing a lot of stories of major hassles with local vendors, lots of petty crime, etc.

Based on what I have read, I'm getting a little concerned. We have cruised a lot over the years and I have no patience for people grabbing me, or hassling me to do whatever it is they are trying sell, legal or otherwise. For example, we don't even get off at Ocho Rios anymore because it simply isn't worth the aggravation. I am starting the conjur up visions of Ocho Rios....

Many thanks for sharing your experiences.

Specifically I am hearing a lot of stories of major hassles with local vendors, lots of petty crime, etc.

We hit those ports in 2007 on the Amsterdam. I wouldn't say they were major hassles but they locals and vendors were certainly pushier than any we have seen in the Caribbean. As to petty crime, you found it everywhere. Go with a group, keep your head and be aware of your sorrounding. And don't miss seeing the large buddha at Borobudur.

• 1 month later...

During your ship docking at Semarang Port the Borobudur the Buddhist temple of the 8th century, is too beautiful to not be visited, but I recommend that you only just bring equipment such as hats and little money, photo camera and never touch or see the merchandise offered by vendors because they will know you are a potential buyer. It need approx 8 hours excursion.:p

Padang Bai is probably the worst for locals grabbing tourists. They try to give you merchandise and then your have "bought" it. Not a problem, just a little disconcerting at first.

One of the assistant dining room managers on the Amsterdam was from Bali and actually apologised for the behavior of the people at the port.

A beautiful place, however, and not to be missed.

It would be a mistake in my opinion not to experience the local culture and the beauty of Indonesia by just staying on the ship. Yes, at Padang Bai, you can expect crowds of locals, many vendors, but many just sightseeing us Westerners. I thought the crowd control was actually pretty good in getting us from the tender pier to the tour bus and in the reverse. Keep moving, avoid eye contact as much as possible, don't take anything offered. I was disappointed that I was not able to do some shopping in the tender area due to the crowds.

It would be a mistake in my opinion not to experience the local culture and the beauty of Indonesia by just staying on the ship. Yes, at Padang Bai, you can expect crowds of locals, many vendors, but many just sightseeing us Westerners. I thought the crowd control was actually pretty good in getting us from the tender pier to the tour bus and in the reverse. Keep moving, avoid eye contact as much as possible, don't take anything offered. I was disappointed that I was not able to do some shopping in the tender area due to the crowds.

You sum up Padang Bai well.

We did the tour to a village and then the Water Palace. Lots of easygoing shopping available at both those places.

• 1 month later...

Apparently the Bat Temple and the town of Ubud are great, as well as the monkey forest. My parents were recently there and really enjoyed themselves. They went with Romeo Tours Bali which was recommended by other Cruise Critic members. They weren't hassled because they were with a guide. Prepare for the heat in Indonesia, the humidity is so high, make sure you get an air conditioned vehicle to go around in.

The OP's cruise ended on March 31. This is a moot point for them and the rest of us who sailed with them.

Ah, but helpful to those of us who will be visiting those ports on another cruise.

Ricki

Ah, but helpful to those of us who will be visiting those ports on another cruise.
In order to help members who are searching for info on Indonesian ports, I'll ask that this thread be moved from the HAL forum to the Asia forum.

In order to help members who are searching for info on Indonesian ports, I'll ask that this thread be moved from the HAL forum to the Asia forum.

That would be fine, Mary Ellen. Although port information can be found on another board, sometimes folks just want to hear the "take" on a particular port from their fellow travelers on a particular cruise line, so I don't think this thread is out of place on this board.

Ricki

Have a look at my SE Asia youtube links below as they will give you an insight on these ports & the vendors etc. We travelled on the Volendam & Statendam.

Regards

NB

We will be on the Volendam in March doing a 32 day cruise from AUK to SING. In my research I am surprised at the number of extremely negative reports about the Semarang, Padang Bai, and Tanjung/Jakarta stops.

Can anyone shed any positive light on these ports?

Based on what I have read, I'm getting a little concerned. We have cruised a lot over the years and I have no patience for people grabbing me, or hassling me to do whatever it is they are trying sell, legal or otherwise. For example, we don't even get off at Ocho Rios anymore because it simply isn't worth the aggravation. I am starting the conjur up visions of Ocho Rios....

Many thanks for sharing your experiences.

Archived