Kids really can't wear nice shorts to Dinner?

txcruise75

Do they really enforce the "no shorts" rule for kids? I was going to put my son in nice shorts and a linen shirt? Are they strict on this?

Only if he has hairy legs.

Little kids are just fine as long as they are adorable in shorts. If they are past the adorable stage then long pants are requested.

Our 2 sons were 2 and 9 and we let them wear nice khaki shorts to dinner with button down short sleeve shirts..only because we didn't know shorts were a no-no. Noone gave us funny looks or anything, especially since we saw people in tank tops and shorts at dinner at many of the tables!

Do they really enforce the "no shorts" rule for kids? I was going to put my son in nice shorts and a linen shirt? Are they strict on this?

To answer the question...no, they do not enforce a no shorts rule. For anyone.

I have seen both kids and adults come into the dining room (even on formal night) in shorts and t-shirts.

Whether this is a good thing or not I won't go in to since opinions on this tend to run very strong (my own included) ;)

Jim

DCL specifically states "No Shorts" in the dining room on their web site. I'm not sure why people either have a hard time understanding the meaning of "No Shorts" or just think it doesn't apply to them for whatever reason.

In my opinion, shorts on toddlers are fine. Anything over a toddler or at least onece they hit school age should conform to Disney's stated dress code. Why would they bother to have a written dress code if they didn't want people to conform to it?

From the DCL web site:

Question

What should I wear to dinner?

Answer

Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.

On 3-night cruises:

One cruise casual night—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

One pirate or tropical night (deck party)

One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:

First night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

Final night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:

Three additional "cruise casual" nights—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

One formal and one semi-formal night—formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.

DCL specifically states "No Shorts" in the dining room on their web site. I'm not sure why people either have a hard time understanding the meaning of "No Shorts" or just think it doesn't apply to them for whatever reason.

In my opinion, shorts on toddlers are fine. Anything over a toddler or at least onece they hit school age should conform to Disney's stated dress code. Why would they bother to have a written dress code if they didn't want people to conform to it?

From the DCL web site:

Question

What should I wear to dinner?

Answer

Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.

On 3-night cruises:

One cruise casual night—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

On 4-night cruises:

Final night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:

Three additional "cruise casual" nights—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

One formal and one semi-formal night—formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.

There ya go...it says "NO SHORTS" six times. That should be plain enough for anybody.

In my opinion, shorts on toddlers are fine.

I think people think the "no shorts" statement on the website doesn't apply to everybody for the same reason you think it doesn't apply to toddlers.

I think people think the "no shorts" statement on the website doesn't apply to everybody for the same reason you think it doesn't apply to toddlers.

If the adult or older child tends to eat with their fingers, has trouble talking in "inside voices," and falls asleep across a couple of chairs in the middle of dinner, let them wear shorts. Otherwise long pants it is...

By the way, I define toddler as under the age of three. Considering that most toddler sized Easter Outfits are shorts and not long pants, I think it's realistic to think that age is OK in shorts. I'm more concerned with them not throwing a handful of mashed potatoes in my hair...

My son is 3; I have no problem tossing a pair of pants on him for dinner (let's face it, most kids are going to need a change anyway - clean shirt and all that). I really don't know why people resist this so much...what's the big problem with pants?

they will be fine with shorts but do you really want them to wear shorts they might be cold. i say this and im not a kind of person that gets cold easily. i live in new jersey and saturday last week it was nice and i was wearing shorts and a tshirt outside. the weather was about 50 degrees but their is no way i would want to wear shorts at the dining table.

By the way, I define toddler as under the age of three. Considering that most toddler sized Easter Outfits are shorts and not long pants, I think it's realistic to think that age is OK in shorts.
You agree with most people that "no shorts" doesn't apply to everybody. You've picked your list of people it doesn't apply to, as will others.

txcruise75 - welcome to Cruise Critic; I see you signed on in December 2010. I'm kind of sorry your first of many, I hope, questions and contributions was met with such debate and borderline hostility.

Typically, it's best to just follow the dress code suggestions as close as possible. If you are a reasonable person with good judgement, they will be too.

Enjoy your cruise and hope to hear from you soon when you return!

Again, welcome!

Sack:)

• 2 weeks later...

Last summer on the Caribbean Princess, I saw the maitre d turn away teenage boys wearing shorts at least 3 times at dinner. I thought they were very consistent in enforcing the dress code. I didn't see any children dressed in shorts, either.

Thanks Sack. People are really uptight on this board. Wow, I hope they are in a better mood when they get on the ship!

Dress code is one of the touchy topics. Smoking and tipping are a couple of the others. Fortunately smuggling alcohol isn't an issue here as on some of the other boards.

Some people have strong... and opposing opinions on them.

Thanks Sack. People are really uptight on this board. Wow, I hope they are in a better mood when they get on the ship!

txcruise75,

I'm not a cruise expert in any form or fashion but if you have any other questions that you'd like met with less animosity, feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer those I can or find answers from someone else who does!

Again, please share your trip experience with us when you return! Based on your adventure, you'll then be able to help others with their questions.

Enjoy!

Sack

Archived