Booking airfare to arrive/depart same day as ship, Miami

wrxrob

Hello board. If I wanted to take a cruise out of Miami which departs at 4pm on a Sunday, then returns at 8am on the following Sunday, how much extra time should I give as a buffer for my flight times.

This itinerary is March 20-27, so the hotel rates are sky high on travelocity. My guess is that this timeframe could collide with spring break?? :confused:

Hello board. If I wanted to take a cruise out of Miami which departs at 4pm on a Sunday, then returns at 8am on the following Sunday, how much extra time should I give as a buffer for my flight times.

This itinerary is March 20-27, so the hotel rates are sky high on travelocity. My guess is that this timeframe could collide with spring break?? :confused:

It's STRONGLY recommended that you fly in at least one day before...Too many things could go wrong with delays, traffic..etc..that could cause you to miss your cruise.. If your itinerary states that it is departing at 4pm, you will mostly likely have to be ON the ship by 2:30pm. Where are you coming from? Are there any red-eye flights available?

As far as the return flight, I personally wouldn't schedule anything before noon.

Are you looking to fly into Miami?...You may want to check out Ft. Lauderdale too and then shuttle over to Miami...Hotels and flights are normally cheaper in FLL than MIA and there are many shuttle companies that will take you back and forth for a decent price.

Hope it works out!

Knowing how weather can create havoc in the airline industry we always fly in a day early. We fly from Burlington and have to connect (which can sometimes go badly) so I would never try to fly in the same day.

My MIL tried it once...... and ended up having to meet the ship in Cozumel. Cost her a fortune!

For the return, any flight from 11h30 AM or later should do you fine. At least if you miss your flight eventually you will find another. If you miss your ship.................your a S.O.L.

I have flown into Miami and FLL the day of the cruise a few times with no problems. Most cruiselines I believe require that you are checked in at least 1 hour prior to scheduled departure. Once the manifest list has been created for customs you will be denied boarding. (even if the ship is still docked)

Although, flying into FLL may save you a few dollars, IMO is it worth the cost to fly directly into Miami. It is closer to the port so less traffic to deal with. Do your research and calculate the costs for both & see if what you are saving is really worth the risk and hassle it or not. Ask your cruiseline what time their last shuttle transport is from both airports and it will give you an idea of when you should definitely be on your way to the port (either w/ them or by own transport)

Here are some things I factor into my travel plans the day of a cruise.

1- ALONE or GROUP travel

a-if alone you can more likely move through the airports quicker

2- FLL or MIAMI

-FLL can save a few dollars and is about 45 from Miami Port

-MIA is about 15 min from the port

3- TRANSPORT & COST from airport to the port

a- if alone a taxi or even the cruise shuttle is better

b- if with a group look into van shuttles to save money

c- both airports offer transport via the cruiseline. Once you are on the shuttle, you know you will be on the ship.

I use sunshineshuttle as transport in Miami if n a group, but there are many services online and on these boards. Its all a matter of preference.

4- FLIGHT CHOICES

a- when traveling the day of I always try to take one of the earliest flights out. So in case of any delays or cancellations you may be able to bump to the next flight wil plenty of time to get to the port. I would rather be early at the airport/port and wait then nervous I will get there in time

b- I always book a DIRECT FLIGHT (NONSTOP) to avoid any unexpected delays for you or your luggage during a changeover at another airport.

c- when you book your flights check what the on-time status is for that flight. Most/all booking agencies where you book flights have this avail.

d- if you can try to check in with the airline the night before on-line so they know you are definitely coming. In case of overbooked flights, this may speed things up for you and avoid being the one told at check-in that the flight is all booked.

5- CRUISE INSURANCE

a- if you think there may be a risk of missing the ship consider picking up the cruise insurance. If you do miss the ship it can assist in getting you to the first port of call.

Good Luck, Safe and PROBLEM FREE travels

We always try to arrive the day prior, but I book the earliest flight home that I can. If you're sailing out of POM and flying from MIA, then anything around 11am is quite doable.

There's nothing worse than trying to kill time (or another day with a suitcase full of dirty clothes!) after a great vacation!

My 1st 2 cruises we flew in the day of with no problem. Get a direct flight on the very 1st flight that day. Make sure you are scheuled to land as much before noon as possible.

Last cruise we flew a day early, thank heavens. There were all sorts of problems with our 6 am flight. We didn't take off until after 2 p.m. As we were on final approach to Miami AP, we flew over the port in time to watch the parade of ships sail off. Had we been scheduled to sail that day I swear I would have been tempted to jump. :eek:

I booked my sis and hubby in Feburary which is the tip top of season .. you are not even in as high of season. I will fly them in the day before .. no matter how much the hotel costs. Consider it insurance.

I would not consider risking my cruise with a last minute flight because I didnt like the hotel rates.

From my years of experience working the airline's airport ticket counter, I can say this: Don't do it!!!! I've been the bearer of bad news too often.

Plan to fly in at least the day before, even on a shorter domestic trip...i.e., if you can't get there in time by driving, if your flight goes sour. Even in the best of normally predictable weather seasons, things can go wrong.

Sure, trip insurance can cover some expenses in catching up to the ship downstream, but do you really want to miss a day or more of your cruise? Make a bid with Captain Kirk at Freddy's Fleabag Motel if you have to for cheap overnight accommodations somewhere in Miami, but don't risk missing the boat. It's better to get there on-time, with no fuss and nothing to do but grumble about waisted time than the alternative.

I had no choice in 2009 to get us from Cairo to Barcelona the same day as the ship sailed, due to another package tour not ending with a day to spare and sweated bullets for six months over making the one and only flight that could get us there in time .. on EgyptAir...gulp! You can imagine how I sucked up that seat cushion when we pulled up last second and did a go-around at Barcelona, seeing the ship in port out the window. We made the second landing attempt and got to the ship with an hour to spare before cut off time, so it all worked out. But I don't recommend it.

Go the day before....Bite the bullet and pay the hotel fee. Schedule the return flight after noon to be on the safe side..Yes, you will probably hit the "Spring Break" season..

Even with insurance read the fine print. Most will not cover if your flight's scheduled arrival is not 5-6 hours prior to ship departure. So if your ship departs at 4 and your scheduled arrival is noon and you don't make your insurance will not pony up either to get you to the next port which by the way in most cases you pay out of your pocket and then recoup from insurance.

Thanks for the replies. I re-checked rates, and they weren't as obscene as I initially thought. One website was showing Miami Beach rates in the $800s :eek:

I probably should have double checked elsewhere, and now I see much lower (but still not cheap) rates out in the "Blue Lagoon" area near the airport. Looking at $170-200+ still.

So we'll try to arrive one day early.

Now for the departure, if the ship says it departs at 8am, does that mean the ship arrives to port at 8am, and THEN people start getting off one by one? Or does it mean that everyone must be off the ship by 8am?

I wouldn't mind booking a flight for 12 noon, but only if I could guarantee that I'll be off the ship by a certain time.

Thanks for the replies. I re-checked rates, and they weren't as obscene as I initially thought. One website was showing Miami Beach rates in the $800s :eek:

I probably should have double checked elsewhere, and now I see much lower (but still not cheap) rates out in the "Blue Lagoon" area near the airport. Looking at $170-200+ still.

Now for the departure, if the ship says it departs at 8am, does that mean the ship arrives to port at 8am, and THEN people start getting off one by one? Or does it mean that everyone must be off the ship by 8am?

I wouldn't mind booking a flight for 12 noon, but only if I could guarantee that I'll be off the ship by a certain time.

They'll start releasing pax as soon as the ship clears Customs, which in our limited 3 cruise experiece has been around 8-9. Just let them know at the Purser's desk that you need to get off early for a plane, and also if possible, do self-disembark. We did that last cruise and it was wonderful!

Have you checked the various travel bidding sites for hotels? You should be able to get a much better rate than you're finding.

Good luck!

we tend to always try to fly in the day before and wait until noon to fly out the day the ship gets in. There are to many variables on arrival day for us to risk flying across the country and feel like we are actually on vacation rather than rushing so its worth the $ to pay for a hotel.

I know that the flat rate cab to the port from MIA is $24 plus tip... this may help you choose a hotel closer to the airport that has free shuttle service to/from MIA.. you could just use the hotel service to get you from the airport to the hotel on 'Friday', then shuttle back to the airport on 'saturday' to catch a cab to the port. If you're just looking for a clean place to put your head for the night, and not too concerned about seeing anything while you are in MIA, this might be an option.

There is a section here on CC called 'Florida departures'..it is a GREAT place to grab tips on booking a hotel on the cheap.

Someone I know just got a hotel, I think Holiday Inn on pricelines for $75, bid downtown for 2 1/2 starts. for early march .. you can probably get the price down some more. also check hotwire and lastminutetravel

You can also try the mystery hotel at bookit.com to get a pretty decent hotel for a decent price. We did this for our trip to NOLA and got a 4 star hotel in the CBD just a couple of blocks off of Bourbon for $80/night. It works similar to Priceline (except no bidding) and Hotwire, but this hotel is nicer than the hotels I've gotten from the other sites.

Good decision

Often ship will arrive long before 8 am. You should have no problem with a 12 noon flight out of Miami.

Once you have confirmed date and time of flight if you posted it I'm sure people here will help you with hotel suggestions.

You might wonder why arrival time is important but if arriving very late often an airport hotel is best and easiest but if arriving early in the day a city or beach hotel is a better choice.

Archived