$2 bill as tip?

Travrock1

I have occationaly seen people mention that 2 dollar bills are good for tips for in order for people to remember you but have also heard that they should be avoided since there often thought to be counterfiet I am wondering if aanyone has any experience with them good or bad thanks in advance

Monarch 3/7/05

$2 bills are cash, just like 2 - $1 bills. They may be a little harder for someone to cash in a foreign country, but if you want to give them to ships' staff or porters they would be welcome. They are a bit of a novelty, my husband receives tips and we always save the $2 bills, $1 coins and .50 cent coins.

Pretty much that is the most common denomination I use for tipping. It is easier than $1 bills and for many things $2 is the perfect amount. $2 bills are still in circulation and still produced (at least they had a 2003 run of them). I just go to the bank and they have them on hand (sometime they have a lot sometime not so much).

I didn't notice that anyone noticed the $2 bills I were using for tips, much (but then again, I don't drink alcohol -- I think it may have registered more readily with bartenders than with, say porters).

Travrock: It depends on how much you plan on ordering from room service. We usually will tip a couple of dollars whenever we order something simple and $5 if we order something harder for them to carry--like a full lunch--but only order once or twice per cruise.

I think $2 bills are a novelty that may not be as appreciated by the people receiving them. I'd bet they'd like to have two $1 bills more.

• 2 weeks later...

Travrock1: My sister has quite a collection of $2 bills, $1 coins and $.50 pieces. She calls this her "mad" money and uses them for everything from tipping, shopping and confusing the clerk at JCPenney's who didn't know how to add $.50 + $.50 = $1.00--she got so flustered she had my sister add it up and count it for her!! My thought: money is money and it all spends the same! Take them and have fun on your cruise!

I use the $2. bill and the $1 gold coins all the time in my travels.

I use it for all tipping needs not just room service. I use the 1 gold coin for when I am ordering 2 drinks. I use the 2 bill when i order room service. Porters at the pier taxi drivers..etc.

One of the posters mentioned a $1 gold coin that (s)he uses for tipping. As a Canadian who will need to get some small bills for tipping, I was interested in the comment. I'm not sure how easy it will be to get $2 bills here in Canada, and I didn't even know there was a $1 gold coin? Or are you referring to the Susan B. Anthony $1 coin?

Any clarification would be nice. I've got several months to gather up my American coins and bills, but I'd love to know what I should be getting!

R. Aubrey Hawton :confused:

One of the posters mentioned a $1 gold coin that (s)he uses for tipping. As a Canadian who will need to get some small bills for tipping, I was interested in the comment. I'm not sure how easy it will be to get $2 bills here in Canada, and I didn't even know there was a $1 gold coin? Or are you referring to the Susan B. Anthony $1 coin?

Most Americans are unaware of Canadian coinage, aside from the quarters used for ripping off tollboths and newspaper machines.

The new $1 US coin is the "sacky", the Sacagawea dollar coin, it's actually a copper alloy.

final_obv.gif

Thanks for the information.

After I posted, I thought that I should do some research, and I found the US Mint site and the information.

I didn't want people to think that I was one of those uninformed Canadians, but, as you said, probably most Americans would be unaware of our Canadian coinage, too.

Just in case, I'll fill you in:

We no longer have $1 or $2 bills. In their place, we have a $1 coin (nicknamed the LOONIE because it has a loon on it) and a $2 coin (nicknamed the toonie, for obvious rhyming reasons!)

Are the $1 coins easy to find in the USA? Think I'd be able to order them through my Canadian bank? Might be easier to get them when I make a trip across the border sometime.

R. Aubrey Hawton

We no longer have $1 or $2 bills. In their place, we have a $1 coin (nicknamed the LOONIE because it has a loon on it) and a $2 coin (nicknamed the toonie, for obvious rhyming reasons!)

Are the $1 coins easy to find in the USA? Think I'd be able to order them through my Canadian bank? Might be easier to get them when I make a trip across the border sometime.

R. Aubrey Hawton

Moonstoners: I checked w/my sister (who was in the banking industry for 12+ years) and she said you can usually get the "sackys" at the larger banking institutions quite easily (here in the states), or if you call ahead they can usually order them for you, too. My sister is a nut for the $2 bills, $1 "sackys" and the $.50 cent pieces. She'll be stocking up for our cruise in December onboard the Serenade of the Seas....Happy Sailing To You:)

PS: I love your "loonies"!!

If you want some $1 coins, use a $20 bill to buy one stamp from a machine. I hate those stupid coins! They are so anoying to carry around. Believe me, the weight adds up. If I was in a business that recieved tips I'd like the person that gave me $1 bill A LOT better than the person that gave me the coins!

Liz

Archived