Reliability of Internet TAs and OBC offers in quotes?

erdoran

On a site where TAs make competing offers to sell you a cruise, can you rely on what they offer if it is in the form of OBC? Any experiences where you were promised one thing and it never materialized? If yes, we should probably avoid the names of TAs as I don't think we are allowed to say that, but probably in general stuff about honesty and reliability should be OK.

Booked 2 cruises online with same company. Got OBC that was quoted with no problems from NCL and CCL, I would book again with that agency. Even added a 3rd passenger after booking for two and it wasn't a problem, they were on the phone with NCL right away confirming the booking for 3.

We've never had a problem until our most recent cruise, booked through a very large well-known agency where we expected a $100 OBC from NCL and $50 from the agency itself. When I checked my onboard account mid cruise, only the $50 OBC had been applied. NCL Guest Services contacted the agency, and our OBC was changed to $100, still $50 short of what we expected. After we got home I called the agency's customer service department, they "investigated" and claimed I was only entitled to one of the OBCs and received the larger of the two.

At this point I don't feel like spending a lot of time complaining to the state Attorney General's office over $50...BUT...I will never book a cruise or any other form of travel with this agency again. Unfortunately, Cruise Critic rules prohibit naming the agency, but believe me, everyone would recognize the name.

I was promised $226 for my X-mas cruise to Mexico with an online TA (one of the ones from the competing offers...) with the initials C-N-M. I never got it. The desk contacted them and they said they had no record of it.

I called them today, and they (TA) said NCL never contacted them and they did see the $226 and that they will send me a check.

We'll see what happens.

We've never had a problem until our most recent cruise, booked through a very large well-known agency where we expected a $100 OBC from NCL and $50 from the agency itself. When I checked my onboard account mid cruise, only the $50 OBC had been applied. NCL Guest Services contacted the agency, and our OBC was changed to $100, still $50 short of what we expected. After we got home I called the agency's customer service department, they "investigated" and claimed I was only entitled to one of the OBCs and received the larger of the two.

At this point I don't feel like spending a lot of time complaining to the state Attorney General's office over $50...BUT...I will never book a cruise or any other form of travel with this agency again. Unfortunately, Cruise Critic rules prohibit naming the agency, but believe me, everyone would recognize the name.

Something very similar has happened to me recently with a large agency. I only used them because they offered slightly more of an OBC. After making final payment i was informed that "both OBC's" were not available to me and there is nothing I can do about it. I have a strong feeling it was the same agency. Some TA's will say anything to get their commision...but the worst part is I have a feeling their supervisors let it slide.

Something very similar has happened to me recently with a large agency. I only used them because they offered slightly more of an OBC. After making final payment i was informed that "both OBC's" were not available to me and there is nothing I can do about it. I have a strong feeling it was the same agency. Some TA's will say anything to get their commision...but the worst part is I have a feeling their supervisors let it slide.

Without naming agencies, did your agency have any bad reviews, or were they all good?

Without naming agencies, did your agency have any bad reviews, or were they all good?

The website itself has good reviews... I think thats where my mistake was becasue when I looked further into it im not the first to have trouble with their TA's. Its frustrating because this is a very heavily advertised agency and by the way it went down you can tell they do this often.

I just spoke with an online agency about transferring my booking from NCL (direct) to them and getting a $100 obc and dinner for two (or $50 obc). When all the math was said and done, it turned out that I would have to pay more out of pocket for the booking and would only save $40 after the obc was applied.

Anyone else find the math doesn't make it worth doing this for their bookings?

I have an excellent offer on the table for OBC for transferring my existing booking. I want to make sure I can't get messed over--ie if I do my part with keeping up with final payment date, the TA will give me OBC. All payments are charged to my card directly by NCL, so I don't have the risk of losing the $$.

We received our OBC from our agent as promised, and also had OBC from our NCL Mastercard. There is one thing to note, though. The OBC credit from the agent was classified as "non-refundable" on our ship account, which means, if we had not used it all, it would disappear into Never Never Land. The NCL World Points OBC was classified as "refundable" and any left over would be returned to the card or by check.

Archived