For those O cruisers who also sail on Celebrity

pacheco18

I know there are several of you who love O but also cruise Celebrity from time to time as we do.

So help me out here. I am looking at Australia/ NZ -- O is 16 days, Celebrity is 12 days. We only do independent tours. Whatever we do, we will do a land tour of Australia either before or after the cruise so the number of cruise days is not critical as it will be only part of our vacation.

I can get a suite on Celebrity for less than an outside cabin on O and on top of that a very large OBC from my TA and if I compare similar accommodations, O is many thousands more person.

I know there's a difference -- but at what point is it not worth it? It's not about what I can afford -- it's about value. Just looking for some insight.

This is a very difficult question to answer, primarily because you're either the kind of person who will let that "difference" bother you, or you are not.

That being said, in this particular situation, I'd probably book the Oceania cruise. Australia is a stunning area of the world, but lets just say that their "hospitality industry" is more known for rugged value than for luxury.

You'll be happy that you opted for the more opulent cruise experience.

on Celebrity and have sailed with them a number of times...but never in a suite..only in concierge or regular balcony categories...so don't know if I would be comparing an apple to an apple...but with that type of price difference and OBC ...if it were me...I'd take Celebrity in a heart beat...LuAnn

Sailing in a suite is a wonderful experience. If you enjoy Celebrity, and it seems that you do, then take the price difference and put the money into the land trip. It's not like you are comparing Oceania and Carnival. I haven't looked at your itineraries, but I suggest time both pre-cruise and post-cruise--esp. if you start in Australia and end in NZ.

We did a land trip to both countries and found both to be gorgeous and fascinating. We did 24 days on our land portion. We booked with an Australian tour company and were fortunate to have 1 guide the entire time who took the SIX of us (and only the 6 of us) to all of the wonderful sites--even the Great Barrier Reef at the end of our trip.

What an exciting trip you have to look foward to.

Mom C

Stating up front that we haven't done Celebrity.

Given the choice you are talking about, I would take the longer cruise.

But at the same time I cannot argue with the suggestion to do the Celebrity cruise and add on land-tour time.

It's really something you have to decide for yourself. You don't see all that much on a cruise after all, even if you have extra ports.

To do the shorter cruise and allocate the money you did NOT spend on the O cruise to a land tour doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me!

Good luck on making not so easy a decision! :)

We use the PH on Celebrity and had a Vista Suite on Oceania. NO COMPARISON...CELEBRITY SHINES.

Food quality--Celebrity shines

Drinks - Celebrity shines

Treatment of passengers--Celebrity shines (although we are Elite Status)

That being said we went to Australia and New Zealand on Mercury and it was NOT a good experience. However, I think I heard that Mercury is no longer in the fleet.

We also cruise on Regent, Seabourn and Silverseas...and Crystal. I never hesitate to take Celebrity, particularly if it is an M class ship.

This is a very difficult question to answer, primarily because you're either the kind of person who will let that "difference" bother you, or you are not.

That being said, in this particular situation, I'd probably book the Oceania cruise. Australia is a stunning area of the world, but lets just say that their "hospitality industry" is more known for rugged value than for luxury.

You'll be happy that you opted for the more opulent cruise experience.

StanandJim -- I love O (almost) as much as you do. But I would not necessarily say O is more "opulent" than Celebrity -- although the Marina may change that. The difference is really the intimacy of the smaller ship and the more upscale crowd -- both of which I appreciate. O is a more sophisticated experience for sure. It's really the intangibles that make O my preference. Food is not that different IMO. In fact, I think the specialty restaurant on the Infinity is better by far than Toscana or Polo.

For true "opulence," the Paul Gauguin sets the bar pretty high.

You're right, Pacheco; sophisticated is a better description.

Either cruise will likely feel more "opulent" than usual after the, -shall we say "delightfully informal" riguors of Australia.

I'd have to put Seabourn over Paul Gauguin on the opulence scale, but that may be because sand and elegance just dont mix for me......even if it is chic French sand.

I'd have to put Seabourn over Paul Gauguin on the opulence scale, but that may be because sand and elegance just dont mix for me......even if it is chic French sand.

LOL

I will have to try Seabourn at some point. The PG really spoiled me.

I will have to try Seabourn at some point. The PG really spoiled me.
You may want to try Seabourn soon. It was announced today that Seabourn is moving from its current offices in Miami into HAL HQ in Seattle. The Chairman of Carnival (parent of both) said that each line will retain their own brand management teams but will benefit from the economies of shared resources. Now I have lotsa experience dealing with HAL folks in Seattle. Trust me, this is not a great move for Seabourn. :eek::eek:

We've done 15 cruises on Celebrity vs. 3 on Oceania. All else being equal, we would choose Oceania because we love the size of the ship and other aspects. The food in the GDR is a notch or two above Celebrity's dining room. However, the specialty restaurants on Celebrity provide a dining experience that is almost unmatched by anyone else. Bear in mind, however, that the specialty restaurants on Celebrity are for addl. cost. Celebrity has an open-seating dining option now that makes it more attractive than it used to be with fixed seating times - although there is often a short wait for a table if you don't want to share. And with a suite, you can order from the restaurant menu and have dinner served by the butler in your suite. Unless you just want to be aboard ship for the extra days, I would opt for Celebrity in this instance and enjoy the suite.

I am an "Elite" Captains Club member on Celebrity who also enjoys Oceania...

I really don't think you can go wrong either way...

Both cruise lines offer great cruising experiences...

It's just that they have some differences...

More passengers on Celebrity--but, really, the space pre passenger ratios are comparable...it's really a personal preference thing...

Food is excellent on both...I'd say Oceania has an edge here, but, for most people, you are going to enjoy the meals on both...

Entertainment is not a staple of Oceania, so, if that is important to you, it is a bit better on Celebrity...

Service is excellent and well done on both...

Cabins are comfortable and well apointed on both...Of course, if it's a question of Suite versus balcony cabin, the "X" suite is going to be nicer...

The "crowds " on both lines are fairly similar (Yup, no "Carnival" here)...

Celebrity, with more people on board and a bigger ship, has a bit more activity onboard and more nightlife--if that's important to you...

Other differences are subtle...

Of course, you've cruised on both, so you are aware of the differences already...

So, look carefuilly again at the itineraries and see what may be important to you there...

Figure in the costs (It sounds like that is an important factor to you)...

Personally, reading your post again, I would save the thousands and go with Celebrity...though four extra nights on a ship are pretty attractive...

Either way you go, you are going to have a wonderful cruise...You are in a dilemma most of us would not mind being in--choosing between two great cruises...

Good luck...

I am an "Elite" Captains Club member on Celebrity who also enjoys Oceania...

I really don't think you can go wrong either way...

Both cruise lines offer great cruising experiences...

It's just that they have some differences...

More passengers on Celebrity--but, really, the space pre passenger ratios are comparable...it's really a personal preference thing...

Food is excellent on both...I'd say Oceania has an edge here, but, for most people, you are going to enjoy the meals on both...

Entertainment is not a staple of Oceania, so, if that is important to you, it is a bit better on Celebrity...

Service is excellent and well done on both...

Cabins are comfortable and well apointed on both...Of course, if it's a question of Suite versus balcony cabin, the "X" suite is going to be nicer...

The "crowds " on both lines are fairly similar (Yup, no "Carnival" here)...

Celebrity, with more people on board and a bigger ship, has a bit more activity onboard and more nightlife--if that's important to you...

Other differences are subtle...

Of course, you've cruised on both, so you are aware of the differences already...

So, look carefuilly again at the itineraries and see what may be important to you there...

Figure in the costs (It sounds like that is an important factor to you)...

Personally, reading your post again, I would save the thousands and go with Celebrity...though four extra nights on a ship are pretty attractive...

Either way you go, you are going to have a wonderful cruise...You are in a dilemma most of us would not mind being in--choosing between two great cruises...

Good luck...

I would agree with Steve 100%. In fact, we requested the same table in the dining room on the Regatta last year, and all of our wait staff had worked on Celebrity ships before coming to Oceania. Oceania does have a bit better cuisine in the MDR, but you can put Celebrity's alternative restaurants up against any in the business.

If you love Oceania and want a larger ship experience, I recommend Aqua Class on one of Celebrity's Solstice class of ships.

As for the OP; I think the ship down under will be the Century, which is Celebrity's smallest, and oldest, ship. Only about 10,000 tons larger than the Oceania Marina, but still a nice ship. It only has one alternative restaurant, Murano's.

Good luck,

Kel:)

Archived