Is the balcony worth it?

ba10rk

Is the balcony worth it on the enchantment?? it is my first time doing the balcony but this is my second cruise. i am doing 12night cruise to southern caribbean in feb. please tell me if it is worth it or not! any pictures would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE:D:D

Is the balcony worth it on the enchantment?? it is my first time doing the balcony but this is my second cruise. i am doing 12night cruise to southern caribbean in feb. please tell me if it is worth it or not! any pictures would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE:D:D

From Baltimore, right? So, in Feb. you'll be pretty cold outdoors for the first couple days at least, and then presumably for the last couple days as you re-approach Baltimore. Once you get past that, having a balcony is really cool, especially in the morning as you're sailing into port, if you're up that early. :)

Yes, but only if your going to use it, and you will use it!!! This will be our fourth cruise, and third balcony. Early morning coffee, fruit and pastries, or an afternoon reading a book/taking a nap, watching the sun set or rise, late night watching the stars/moon, the view when pulling in/out of port. Well worth the extra cost.

We almost always book a balcony, but to answer your question whether it is worth "it" depends on what the defintion of "it" is. If there's a $50 difference between oceanview and balcony for a 12-nt, it's a no-brainer. If there is a $50 per day difference, then it is also a no-brainer.

If there are $x difference per person a day, think of there being a toll booth at the sliding glass door and you had to pay $x for a day pass to go out there. Would you? If x is $5-$10 for me, maybe. I wouldn't pay $20 a day though. I'd just peek through the window. :-)

One bit of advice that could save money .. guarantee rooms inside/outside have some potential of being really crummy rooms .. like on deck 2 by the thrusters. On the other hand, I've never heard of a bad balcony. If you've never done a balcony before and questioning the cost, price the guarantee instead of a specific.

Thanks all for your answers! I have upgraded my interior to balcony room! Cant wait see how much i'll love it and if it is worth it. I am sure i will be spending a bunch of times on balcony with my boyfriend :D

Thanks all for your answers! I have upgraded my interior to balcony room! Cant wait see how much i'll love it and if it is worth it. I am sure i will be spending a bunch of times on balcony with my boyfriend :D

Enjoy your balcony! In addition to the things others have already listed, here are a few more things we enjoy about a balcony: my husband enjoys smoking a cigar, it's nice to step outside to see what the weather is like before getting dressed, I like to read on the bed or sleep at night with the door open and feel the breeze/hear the waves crash against the ship. Have fun!

We almost always book a balcony, but to answer your question whether it is worth "it" depends on what the defintion of "it" is. If there's a $50 difference between oceanview and balcony for a 12-nt, it's a no-brainer. If there is a $50 per day difference, then it is also a no-brainer.

If there are $x difference per person a day, think of there being a toll booth at the sliding glass door and you had to pay $x for a day pass to go out there. Would you? If x is $5-$10 for me, maybe. I wouldn't pay $20 a day though. I'd just peek through the window. :-)

One bit of advice that could save money .. guarantee rooms inside/outside have some potential of being really crummy rooms .. like on deck 2 by the thrusters. On the other hand, I've never heard of a bad balcony. If you've never done a balcony before and questioning the cost, price the guarantee instead of a specific.

I got your point. :) thanks for your advice! I did the balcony guarantee and am still waiting for the room number and but i know it is on either 7 or 8 deck. I cant wait!

I think you will love the balcony- I love coming back to the ship after a long day in port and relaxing on the balcony. In the morning, you can watch the ship sail into port without getting dressed (well at least put a bathrobe on:)) or leaving your room. If you want to relax and not deal with crowds for an evening, you can order room service and sit on your private balcony and watch the world go by and listen to the waves. The reasons are endless, but I won't sail without one myself.

Enjoy your balcony! In addition to the things others have already listed, here are a few more things we enjoy about a balcony: my husband enjoys smoking a cigar, it's nice to step outside to see what the weather is like before getting dressed, I like to read on the bed or sleep at night with the door open and feel the breeze/hear the waves crash against the ship. Have fun!

Love the tips! I would probably keep the doors open as well! :D

I also enjoy checking the weather. I also love keeping the blackout curtains slightly open so I can see the sun in the morning. Love it!

Then I'll tend to sit out there are relax before my shower for dinner.

We would never go without a balcony.

However, I understand why some do not. If you won't use the balcony, don't get a balcony. Also, if it's a choice of no cruise or an inside cabin, inside all the way!!!

But I see you've made your choice. So enjoy your balcony! :D

For us a balcony is NOT worth it. We had one once and probably will never have another one. We spend very little time out there. For that matter, we don't spend much time in our cabin at all. We don't go on a cruise to sit by ourselves in our cabin or on a balcony. If we're in a port, we're on the shore doing something. If it's a sea day, we're up on the pool deck where all the action is. As for knowing the weather, we always have oceanview cabins so we can see outside. We also want the natural light coming into our cabin

Most people love balconies, which is why each successive new class of ship has more than the last one. When my Dad and I sailed the Enchantment back 5 years ago, he had a balcony (I had an inside room across the hall) on Deck 8, and he loved it.

I finally had a balcony of my own, when I sailed the Radiance last fall . . . and well, I found I didn't really care for it. It was just too hot and humid out there for my tastes. But it wasn't a total waste, because I really enjoyed having the view through the floor-to-ceiling glass "wall." But would I spend the money for a balcony next time? Honestly, probably not.

In any case, the Enchantment is a great ship, so I am sure you will enjoy your cruise, regardless of how often or how rarely you end up using your balcony.

I love having a balcony! I like being able to step outside to check the weather.

Not to upset anyone or step on toes, but the ONLY time I have not enjoyed my balcony, was when my neighbor spent a lot of time on his balcony smoking. I dont do smoke well, and I could not spend any time on it because of this. To each his own! :D

Just one more thing to think about. I have had them and not had them. My personal preference is pass on them and save the dollars for excursions, drinks or whatever.

That said, we always cruise with a large group of friends and this tends to make us spend very little time in our cabin. We are always with our friends for all meals and free time.

We had a great balcony on the Oasis in October and paid dearly for it.

Total time spent on the balcony on a 7 night cruise. 15 minutes for the entire week. Clearly not worth the extra hundreds we paid per person.

It is all relevant, but I would encourage you to do it at least one so that you can make your own decisions.

Happy Cruising.

Dave

Unless you hate natural light and fresh air...a balcony is the best way to travel short of a suite.

I like to go out for fresh air, sit and read out there, watch the sunset and docking from the balcony...it serves so many purposes.

Have bought the balcony on occasion (like this past November), but really do not find it worthwhile. Like Cruiseguy, spend very little time in the cabin, when I am there, at night, I love the darkness of an interior cabin, plus the reduced motion. And we are always on port intensive cruises. Then why get a balcony occasionally? For variety.

Bill

Coffee and/or breakfast on your balcony, reading on your balcony, snoozing on your balcony, docking in the a.m. from your balcony, leaving port on your balcony, winding down on your balcony after a busy day, having a glass of wine and looking at the stars from your balcony, doing all these things and more with the one you love . . . priceless.

Rick and Deirdra

Archived