BIG cutbacks for Carnival in effect Jan 1st 2011- I hope this isn't true!

gardn198

I was reading something a passenger who just sailed in December wrote.. I REALLY hope this isn't true. Can anyone sailing in January on Carnival let us know if this is true??

" I just came back from a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Glory. The word from the crew was that alot of crew will be losing there jobs.

For example : room stewarts that now work two to a team will be cut to one.

Your room will only be serviced once a day. No more turn down service after dinner with a mint on your pillow. The Staffing in the buffet for cleaning tables was down to three people. Also some ships are allready testing this.

You must pay for a steak or a lobster tail in the "free" main dining room.

$14.00 is what I was told and last but not least there will be a cruise fare increase. Plus fuel is still on the rise. Cruise cheap for now."

I was reading something a passenger who just sailed in December wrote.. I REALLY hope this isn't true. Can anyone sailing in January on Carnival let us know if this is true??

" I just came back from a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Glory. The word from the crew was that alot of crew will be losing there jobs.

Your room will only be serviced once a day. No more turn down service after dinner with a mint on your pillow. The Staffing in the buffet for cleaning tables was down to three people. Also some ships are allready testing this.

$14.00 is what I was told and last but not least there will be a cruise fare increase. Plus fuel is still on the rise. Cruise cheap for now."

I had also read about the rumor of no more turn down service after dinner, and apparently so many others had questions about it to the point that they posted them on John Heald's Blog, and I did read where he answered that question and said that it is not true, that there still will be evening turn down service. Haven't seen anything about the staffing in the buffet. As far as paying for steak & lobster in the dining room, I believe that is only on the ships that do not have the supper clubs onboard. Fuel has been fluctuating since before the holidays, and so far, so good, we just keep hoping that that surcharge does not show up like we have been for a while. Hope this helps.

If it does happen... the loss of service doesn't affect me because I don't like to have my cabin cleaned twice per day. I like to clean my own cabin and don't like cabin stewards touching my things as they clean.

The Buffet area - I don't mind cleaning my table after I finish eating. I like to take my dirty dishes to their stations. They just need to install some more trash cans. I am very self sufficent and don't need all that service.

I don't like steak or lobster so I don't care if there is a charge for that.

I am only planning two more cruises with Carnival and then I don't plan to book with them anymore. I have some cruise credits that I need to use.

I am just bored with Carnival. Since they doubled the price for single me.... I can start cruising on other ships.

I am prepared to pay the extra fee for fuel because that is a given when it happens. I guess less people will be cruising on Carnival.

Oh boy a 4th thread started about rumors... this one review needs to be pulled as people read it and run here and post the rumors.

geez.... If people took the time to read CC they would know this is nonsense .. hosts .. cant someone pull this review ?? please??

OP its past Jan 1st .. kinda late to be posting rumors about something starting in the past .. you would know it by now.

well this was just mostly asking people cruising probably this weekend or next to go looking for this to see if it's true. not trying to spread any rumors, i'm a first time cruiser and just booked the glory for feb 20th today and would like to know if I should expect these things I was unaware of until after I booked! I'm a poor college student and can't afford to be paying all that extra $$ for stuff I assumed was paid for already :-)

Glory has a pay restaurant, so no, you will not have the pay options in the free MDR to choose, as noted by posters above, its only if you are on a ship that does not have a pay restaurant .. so just skip the pay restaurant, and go eat dinner in the MDR.

Carnival isnt going to shoot itself in the foot, and clean cabins one time a day, because then all the other cruiselines would have the upper hand. Carnival will continue doing your cabin twice a day, in the morning and in the evening ..

I just think the hosts should pull this review since it has incorrect info .. free speech and all that, but its upsetting people.

OP you have nothing to worry about. The $18 lobster and steak is just a added OPTION, there is still free lobster. The pay lobster is Maine lobster and Im sure better, but there is still free lobster. Nothing has changed.

PS as far as the fuel surcharge, Carnival has been saying that they are not adding it "at this time" during their last earnings. They have the right to add it, which Im sure you knew when you booked .. it can be added, this reviewer is just speculating ..its true the price of oil is going up. If you are already booked .. and if the fare goes up .. you are price protected. You wouldnt be charged a penny more than you agreed to pay.

If half the things speculated on in this trouble makers review were true, you would be seeing all kinds of posts of upset people .. and people up in arms. Especially the part about the fuel surcharge, people would be posting about it all over the place.

If people would just think a little they would realize that service staff has not been cut in the past and is not going to be cut in the future. It is just not going to happen!

Why? If you think just a little you would realize that the hotel side of the crew costs any cruise line very little,, because the vast bulk of their salary is from tips. Do you think that the $1250 per week (based on the average assumption that Carnival pays a base salary of $50 per month) that Carnival would save by eliminating 100 service positions on the ship is going to matter. Sure they also have to pay for food for the crew whihc would maybe be another $1000 per week.

It just does not matter. The cost for running the ship is in two places, debt service and fuel and you can't cut those costs. Carnival is not cutting service! They do not save enough money by doing it for it to matter.

If it does happen... the loss of service doesn't affect me because I don't like to have my cabin cleaned twice per day. I like to clean my own cabin and don't like cabin stewards touching my things as they clean.

The Buffet area - I don't mind cleaning my table after I finish eating. I like to take my dirty dishes to their stations. They just need to install some more trash cans. I am very self sufficent and don't need all that service.

I don't like steak or lobster so I don't care if there is a charge for that.

I am only planning two more cruises with Carnival and then I don't plan to book with them anymore. I have some cruise credits that I need to use.

I am just bored with Carnival. Since they doubled the price for single me.... I can start cruising on other ships.

I am prepared to pay the extra fee for fuel because that is a given when it happens. I guess less people will be cruising on Carnival.

:eek:

Isn't this board a place to find out information about cruising? Why is is that every time somebody posts a question that has already been asked, they get jumped on. Anybody that have ever used the search function knows that 1. It doesn't work 2. It gives you three pages of postings and none of them pertain to what you ask.

You can tell a person that it has already been proven wrong without being snotty about it. Or skip over it if it bothers you that much.

Flame away if you must but this board is nothing like it use to be. People use to go out of their way to answer questions, even if they were repeats.

Oh boy a 4th thread started about rumors... this one review needs to be pulled as people read it and run here and post the rumors.

geez.... If people took the time to read CC they would know this is nonsense .. hosts .. cant someone pull this review ?? please??

OP its past Jan 1st .. kinda late to be posting rumors about something starting in the past .. you would know it by now.

No one is forcing you to read it but I see you took the time to do so.

Isn't this board a place to find out information about cruising? Why is is that every time somebody posts a question that has already been asked, they get jumped on. Anybody that have ever used the search function knows that 1. It doesn't work 2. It gives you three pages of postings and none of them pertain to what you ask.

You can tell a person that it has already been proven wrong without being snotty about it. Or skip over it if it bothers you that much.

Flame away if you must but this board is nothing like it use to be. People use to go out of their way to answer questions, even if they were repeats.

and correct me if I am wrong Dick, but weren't the same people who jump down our throats new cruisers at one point and probably asked similar questions?!?

CC is such a love/hate relationship. Love the valuable information, hate the holier than thou attitudes.

I honestly don't think attitude is a problem on this board, I know that every single person isn't going to be welcoming but you should go to the IMDB.COM message boards and then you will find snotty, rude people! I understand that people get annoyed with duplicate questions, sorry about that. but all the other questions I've asked people have been more than friendly and thorough with their feedback! You all a really nice bunch of people who honestly want to have fun and help each other, and everyone on the internet gets a little touchy at times so don't worry about it!

My problem is that this one review keeps on going and going .. Its not just the threads on CC .. its spread to other message boards .. same review on CC that someone read and ran to other boards to post. I have a issue when a review contains wrong info that is hurting new cruisers.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/378792-big-changes-coming-carnival-jan-1st.html

As I said this ONE review isnt just sprouting similar threads on CC .. its gone to other boards where people are telling each other about the cut backs that supposedly already started.. it hurts CC to have these things in print, because some people dont know they arent true. There were still people posting a couple of days ago, "hoping people come back from their cruises and tell us for sure" .. all from CC.

I think it hurts CC.

My problem is that this one review keeps on going and going .. Its not just the threads on CC .. its spread to other message boards .. same review on CC that someone read and ran to other boards to post. I have a issue when a review contains wrong info that is hurting new cruisers.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/378792-big-changes-coming-carnival-jan-1st.html

As I said this ONE review isnt just sprouting similar threads on CC .. its gone to other boards where people are telling each other about the cut backs that supposedly already started.. it hurts CC to have these things in print, because some people dont know they arent true. There were still people posting a couple of days ago, "hoping people come back from their cruises and tell us for sure" .. all from CC.

I think it hurts CC.

I will agree with you in that it does hurt CC and I think it would be helpful if there could be a sticky or something posted to squash the rumors. I guess I just find it easier to have to keep educating the misinformed then get all snarky with them, ya know.

It's just unfortunate how rumors get started (mostly from people who are unhappy with the company, a person or a service) and people believe them instead of researching them to determine the truth.

I agree 100% fire but there are better ways to correct the OP without making them feel belittled for asking a question. A simple reply with the truth, in this case, "John has already posted in his blog that it isn't true."

Question answered, nobody's feelings hurt.

Host Mach and John Heald have already shot that rumor down...

well this was just mostly asking people cruising probably this weekend or next to go looking for this to see if it's true. not trying to spread any rumors, i'm a first time cruiser and just booked the glory for feb 20th today and would like to know if I should expect these things I was unaware of until after I booked! I'm a poor college student and can't afford to be paying all that extra $$ for stuff I assumed was paid for already :-)

Have you signed up for our roll call yet?There is huge group of us going on the glory come sign up..Meet & greet set up too..

Gardn198 - just got off Fantasy yesterday Jan 1-7 cruise. Still turn down service at night with a towel animal and mints, along with Fun Times for the next day. I didn't notice less staff in Lido buffet dining area. I've heard about the option of pay for steak and lobster in dining room, but there was not that option on Fantasy. You will still have a lobster and shrimp dish, steak, prime rib on regular menu that doesn't require a fee.

Enjoy the Glory, sailed on her a couple years ago, great ship!

John Heald debunked the myth about the cleaning of your stateroom and the upcharge on the steak and such is for the ships that have no steakhouse

Actually. it`s a test on only three Carnival vessels that have no steakhouse. Personally, I hope it fails. Others have staed other views.

Why should it be pulled if the myth is debunked.

However, it`s always interesting that myths always seem to come true. John Heald said Carnival would never have a charge for food in the MDR.

Actually. it`s a test on only three Carnival vessels that have no steakhouse. Personally, I hope it fails. Others have staed other views.

Why should it be pulled if the myth is debunked.

However, it`s always interesting that myths always seem to come true. John Heald said Carnival would never have a charge for food in the MDR.

I agree a lot of truths start out as rumors and myths. I do not see the harm in someone posting something like this and having the truth posted. Another cruiser can find some value out of it like discovering the ability to have Maine lobster for a charge on ships without a "pay restaurant".

How many urban legends are out there that keep getting repeated?

Archived