Tour of Vatican

calgal729

Can anyone recommend a tour company or guide that you've used for an extensive tour of the Vatican? We'd prefer a small private or semi-private tour thats a couple of hours and separate from the all-day Rome tours (we're going to do the rest of Rome on our own.) Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a tour company or guide that you've used for an extensive tour of the Vatican? We'd prefer a small private or semi-private tour thats a couple of hours and separate from the all-day Rome tours (we're going to do the rest of Rome on our own.) Thanks.

An extensive tour of the Vatican (I assume you mean the museum) will take more than 2 hours -- which is just about enough time to show the key highlights.

My recommendation for a in-depth semi-private tour is the one offered by Context Rome called Vatican Collections. But they also offer a couple of options that include St. Peters Basilica. Here is a link to their site with brief explanations of their various Vatican tours, and good information about why they are scheduled at certain times:

http://www.contexttravel.com/blog/vatican-tour/

Clicking on any of the tours will get you to info on booking them.

I am not easily impressed on tours, but the ones I've done with Context Rome are at the very top of my list.

Also Try Presto tours. Their tour guides also have advanced degrees in art and art history. We took a tour of the Vatican Museum in 2009 and the tour was one of the best we have ever taken. Please check the tour service rating on trip advisor. Tom

We have a 6 hour day tour of Vatican and museums set up with RomeinLimo for our pre-cruise Rome stay. We are just meeting her outside the Vatican since there is a bus that stops right at our apartment and goes to the Vatican. After talking with Jany we didn't think a driver would be necessary. I hope the 6 hours will give us enough time to see the highlights of the Vatican.

We used Angel Tours, it was three hours I think and very well done. Our guide was very passionate and really enjoyed his work.

Kirk

We also used Angel tours and our guide was fantastic. We were late because we got lost but Ange Tours is very well known in the Vatican area and we literally just asked someone on the street if they knew where we could find them and she knew exactly who we wanted and helped us locate our guide. Ten minutes later we were off for a great tour.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in Context Travel's Family Program in Rome, particularly their tour called Vatican for Families. We will be travelling in August with our two daughters who will be 14 and 8. Has anyone used Context in Rome for a family tour of the Vatican?

Lisa

We used Eden Walks Tours and it was seemless. We learned so much and saw so much. The information that our tour guide had was monstrumental and we never would have known without her or going on a tour. She had all our tickets ready and waiting, no lines, and everything was a breeze. At the end of the day we had more time to poke around or visit things we wanted to spend more time on. I was super pleased with our experience and I would definately recommend them again! ;)

We toured with MyVaticanTour.com (google them) and they were incredible to work with. They weren't cheap but I wanted some specific things. I wanted to make sure they were truly credentialed with the Vatican to skip the lines (not just say they were) and this company is. Traveling with my mother and daughter, I could not stand in line and then tour the Vatican museum. We had the best guide. We had a group of 10 (all friends and family) and the guide we had was the best. Ours was a private tour... made more affordable by the size of our group. Good luck! A private tour inside the Vatican museum was the way to go. I had been twice previously and had done it on our own... trust me, the difference of having someone explain a lot of the pieces, and how they came to be... incredible!

Archived