Whale watching: Sitka or Juneau

bjcm

We are planning our trip for June on HAL oosterdam and would really like to do the helicopter trip to a glacier and kayaking at medenhall glacier. Not sure if we could fit in whale watching, and wanted to know if whale watching in sitka is just as good? Or should we skip kayaking (although kayaking that close to a glacier would be awesome!) and go whale watching in Juneau? Any companies you've used that you recommend? Thanks so much!

We are planning our trip for June on HAL oosterdam and would really like to do the helicopter trip to a glacier and kayaking at medenhall glacier. Not sure if we could fit in whale watching, and wanted to know if whale watching in sitka is just as good? Or should we skip kayaking (although kayaking that close to a glacier would be awesome!) and go whale watching in Juneau? Any companies you've used that you recommend? Thanks so much!

There really aren't any dedicated whale watching tours in Sitka. There are sea otter tours where you might see a whale, but it's not like Juneau where you are guaranteed to see whales.

It isn't "whale watching" in Sitka, as mentioned above. It is VARIED wildlife. You do just about always see humpbacks there, but expect the sighting to be brief compared to any whale watch tour out of Juneau or Hoonah.

Much depends on your budget and time in port

Several whaling outfits offer whale watching + an hour stop at Mendenhall. The time at Mendenhall is enough to hike to the falls, take in the beauty and a quick visit to the vistor's center if its your interest. IMHO the Kayak is something different and to do it justice you really need to make an either choice. If you are there a full day you can choose to do / try to schedule the glacier helicopter in the AM and the whale/glacier in the PM.

Thanks everyone! I knew they were more various wildlife tours, but wasn't sure if you'd just happen to see just as many whales here as in Juneau. Sounds like to see orcas and humpbacks, we would need to go in Juneau? Or were those of you that went in Sitka happy with the tour or if you've done both, do you think Juneau is much better? Sorry for all the questions, there are just so many things we'd like to see and only so much time to make it happen.

Thanks everyone! I knew they were more various wildlife tours, but wasn't sure if you'd just happen to see just as many whales here as in Juneau. Sounds like to see orcas and humpbacks, we would need to go in Juneau? Or were those of you that went in Sitka happy with the tour or if you've done both, do you think Juneau is much better? Sorry for all the questions, there are just so many things we'd like to see and only so much time to make it happen.

If you really want to see whales, Sitka is not a good option. Yes, some do see whales (all we saw were 2 blows and a tiny end of a fluke). You will see whales in Juneau. There is no way you can see everything in one trip to Alaska. I'll be on my 5th in 5 years in June, and I've still got a lot to see! :D

Orcas are rare to see, coming into Auke Bay only every 5-10 days. IF those are a priority, you really need to park yourself on Vancouver Island for several days, and get out on multiple whale watches. It is not 100% there.

It is 100% sightings for humpbacks out of Juneau, and close to that out of Sitka. To hedge the bets, you are far better off going with an independent and making it known, your priority is humpbacks. It used to be in Sitka, the humpbacks were late arrivals here, and they used this area for the last feed ups prior to migrating, hence the yearly Whalefest Sitkas has every year in November. But over the last 10 years, humpbacks now feed here all season, so it is very likely to have sightings. Juneau is going to be "much better" , for whales, the entire time is devoted to that. Sitka, as I have already mentioned is varied wildlife. Another interest of Sitka, is the only accessable tour based option to get to a puffin rookery on the inside Alaska cruise ports. Again, you need an independent boat tour, to plan this.

Finally, yes I have done both these tours, repeatively.

We saw MANY more whales in Sitka than in Juneau this past September. The Sitka trip was much more enjoyable overall as well.

Next time, I'll pass on the whale watching in Juneau (lots more to do there) but when I return to Sitka, I'd definitely take the "otter trip" (where we saw a grey whale, lots of humpbacks, a grizzly bear, eagles, seals, sea lions - and, oh yea, otters) again. One of the highlights of our trip.

Thank you guys. Which companies did you use in each place? Also, have you guys done flight seeing to misty fjords in ketchikan or a helicopter glacier tour in juneau? Do you have anyone you rec for these? Thanks so much for all your help

We saw MANY more whales in Sitka than in Juneau this past September. The Sitka trip was much more enjoyable overall as well.

Next time, I'll pass on the whale watching in Juneau (lots more to do there) but when I return to Sitka, I'd definitely take the "otter trip" (where we saw a grey whale, lots of humpbacks, a grizzly bear, eagles, seals, sea lions - and, oh yea, otters) again. One of the highlights of our trip.

The whole point of your sightings was you were there late Sept. completely different than earlier trips. Auke Bay whales are doing some movement. As I mentioned, Sitka is a late feed up area.

Thank you guys. Which companies did you use in each place? Also, have you guys done flight seeing to misty fjords in ketchikan or a helicopter glacier tour in juneau? Do you have anyone you rec for these? Thanks so much for all your help

I have been a long time customer of some excellent vendors. Orca Enterprises in Juneau, is always top on my list, and so is Southeast Aviation out of Ketchikan. I have flown with 3 of the 4 helicopter operators, with my preference TEMSCO and Coastal.

Archived