Noordam- self-laundromat facilities

cruiselovers20

hello!

we will be sailing on the Noordam this spring. The ship literature indicates that the ship has self-laundromat facilities.

Can anyone who have sailed on the Noordam confirm this? Have anyone use them? Do you recall on what deck(s) they are located?

Thanks a bunch!

cruiselovers20

hello!

we will be sailing on the Noordam this spring. The ship literature indicates that the ship has self-laundromat facilities.

Can anyone who have sailed on the Noordam confirm this? Have anyone use them? Do you recall on what deck(s) they are located?

Thanks a bunch!

cruiselovers20

The Noordam does not have a laundromat. They do have laundry service.

Terri

Where does it say this?

Noordam and the other Vista/Signature ships have never had self-service laundries.

The laundry and pressing package will be offered to all guests the day after the first formal night, not on embarkation day. PACKAGES DO NOT INCLUDE DRY CLEANING.

UNLIMITED LAUNDRY:

Pricing for unlimited Laundry is:

- 7-day itinerary $45.00 with no limit

- 10-day itinerary $70.00 with no limit

- 14-16 day itinerary $95.00 with no limit

- 17-21 day itinerary $120.00 with no limit

HOLIDAY SAILING LAUNDRY PACKAGE:

Pricing during Holiday sailings only:

- 7-day itinerary, $50.00 with a limit of 75 items.

- 10-day itinerary, $75.00 with a limit of 100 items

- 14-16 day itinerary $99.00 with no limit

- 17-21 day itinerary $125.00 with no limit

PRESSING:

Unlimited "Pressing Only" is $30.00 for any itinerary except cruises longer than 21 days. For cruises longer than 21 days, add $5 for every additional week beyond 21 days.

Laundry by the Bag:

For a flat fee of $20.00, guest can launder as many items as they can fit inside one Holland America laundry bag. This offer does not include dry cleaning. Requires 48 hours for the processing and the return. This offer is valid until 2 days before the end of the cruise.

Here is what HAL has on the website. :)

For your comfort and convenience we offer full laundry and dry cleaning service on Holland America Line cruises. Self-service laundromats consisting of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards are situated in various locations throughout most of our ships (there is a charge for the use of washers & dryers). The ms Eurodam, ms Nieuw Amsterdam, ms Noordam, ms Oosterdam, ms Westerdam and ms Zuiderdam do not have self-service laundry facilities, but full-service laundry and dry cleaning is available. In your stateroom you will find laundry bags and price lists conveniently located in your closet. For safety reasons, we ask you to refrain from ironing clothes in your stateroom

Have you ever stomped grapes to make wine? If so, you are ready for the Signature Ship's Self Service Laundry.

Place your dirty laundry on the shower floor. While you soap up, the clothes will get a coating of soapy water. Turn the shower off and tread the soapy water into the clothes for about 4 or 5 minutes. Then wring the soapy water out. Next rinse yourself off with the shower while again stepping on the clothes to allow the rinse water to remove the soap. Finally, wring out the clothes, and to remove more water, layer the clothes between towels and place on the floor of the stateroom and have the heaviest member of your party walk on them (gently, you don't want to disturb those in rooms below). Now the clothes are dry enough that they will not drip, so you can hang them on hangers from the ceiling where you lift the tiles slightly so that you can use the ceiling grids to hold the hangers.

Or, you could just pay HAL to do the laundry, but THAT IS THE COWARD'S WAY OUT!

Place your dirty laundry on the shower floor. While you soap up, the clothes will get a coating of soapy water. Turn the shower off and tread the soapy water into the clothes for about 4 or 5 minutes. Then wring the soapy water out. Next rinse yourself off with the shower while again stepping on the clothes to allow the rinse water to remove the soap. Finally, wring out the clothes, and to remove more water, layer the clothes between towels and place on the floor of the stateroom and have the heaviest member of your party walk on them (gently, you don't want to disturb those in rooms below). Now the clothes are dry enough that they will not drip, so you can hang them on hangers from the ceiling where you lift the tiles slightly so that you can use the ceiling grids to hold the hangers.

lol - that's so funny. And true!

Thanks to all for your comments/suggestions!

I find it upseting that on some travel agencies websites when you click on the ship Noordam it indicates self-laundromat. That's why I wanted to ask folks that have been on the ship to confirm whether what's been advertised is true or not.

as FYI...Here's an excerpt from one of the cruise travel agent sites re. to Noordam ship:

Other Areas

• Business Center Services
  • Concierge Desk
  • Culinary Arts Center
  • Demonstration Show Kitchen
  • Dry Cleaning/Laundry
  • Duty-Free Shops/Boutiques
  • Elevators
  • Infirmary/Medical Center
  • Safe Deposit Boxes
  • Self-Service Laundromat

Again, thanks to all!

Thanks to all for your comments/suggestions!

I find it upseting that on some travel agencies websites when you click on the ship Noordam it indicates self-laundromat. That's why I wanted to ask folks that have been on the ship to confirm whether what's been advertised is true or not.

as FYI...Here's an excerpt from one of the cruise travel agent sites re. to Noordam ship:

Other Areas

• Business Center Services
  • Concierge Desk
  • Culinary Arts Center
  • Demonstration Show Kitchen
  • Dry Cleaning/Laundry
  • Duty-Free Shops/Boutiques
  • Elevators
  • Infirmary/Medical Center
  • Safe Deposit Boxes
  • Self-Service Laundromat

Again, thanks to all!

This is why one should ALWAYS cross-reference to the website of the cruiseline that owns & operates the ship you're considering booking aboard to get the most up-to-date info. There are a great many websites out there that have outdated deckplans, incorrect itineraries & pricing, inaccurate policies, miss-named photographs, etc. etc.

Even when I book a hotel through one of the big travel websites (as I did recently to use creditcard points for an upcoming pre-cruise hotel stay) I always cross-reference the hotel website to ensure that I'm indicating the type of room that I desire, that it indeed has the amenities I prefer, etc.

Silly question:

I am assuming the unlimited prices are per person not per cabin. We would need to double it assuming 2 people in the cabin, right?

No it IS per cabin. We used the unlimited package on the Eurodam in May. We had two teenage boys and our daughter sharing a room and we didn't want the room to smell! So we ordered the unlimited package and it worked wonderful. Everything came back promptly, neatly folded and pressed and shirts neatly hung on hangers. :o

Diane

• 1 year later...

I went around and around with this company about if they had washers/dryers or not. HAL office people do not know anything! :mad:They have only laundry service you pay for. It is quick and good but expensive. We were on a 20 day cruise and I do not wash out clothes and hang them all over my room. One person wrote larger ships do not offer washer/dryers. I beg to differ. The QM2 MUCH larger than anything HAL has...have laundry rooms and they are FREE. Disney ships all have laundry facilities. HAL is just being nasty! (Plus I had to BEG for a laundry bag...like maybe save them work?)

Have you ever stomped grapes to make wine? If so, you are ready for the Signature Ship's Self Service Laundry.

Oh That's so Funny!:D

Silly question:

I am assuming the unlimited prices are per person not per cabin. We would need to double it assuming 2 people in the cabin, right?

It's per cabin & one of the best bargains on board!

I went around and around with this company about if they had washers/dryers or not. HAL office people do not know anything! :mad:They have only laundry service you pay for. It is quick and good but expensive. We were on a 20 day cruise and I do not wash out clothes and hang them all over my room. One person wrote larger ships do not offer washer/dryers. I beg to differ. The QM2 MUCH larger than anything HAL has...have laundry rooms and they are FREE. Disney ships all have laundry facilities. HAL is just being nasty! (Plus I had to BEG for a laundry bag...like maybe save them work?)

Expensive?:confused: IMO It's a bargain..Unlimited laundry for every cabin 21 days is $120...I don't call that expensive..Everything comes back beautifully pressed..Also the bags are only $20 & you can fit lots of thing in the bags..

This is the laundry package HAL offers:

PRESSING:

Unlimited "Pressing Only" is $30.00 for any itinerary except cruises longer than 21 days. For cruises longer than 21 days, add $5 for every additional week beyond 21 days.

Laundry by the Bag:

For a flat fee of $20.00, guest can launder as many items as they can fit inside one Holland America laundry bag. This offer does not include dry cleaning. Requires 48 hours for the processing and the return. This offer is valid until 2 days before the end of the cruise

The bags for $20 are great..The bags look like they don't hold much, but believe me they do..Size is approx 13.5 X 21"..

Betty

Is the laundry one package and the pressing another, or is unlimited washing and pressing? Sound too good to be true.

Yes it is unlimited washing and pressing. :D

Per Cabin.

However, there is a separate pressing only package that can be purchased.

The unlimited laundry package includes pressing of those items that were washed. The unlimited pressing package includes nothing else.

Is the laundry one package and the pressing another, or is unlimited washing and pressing? Sound too good to be true.

Everything is either hung or folded. They do press the things you send in to be washed. For regular pressing that is separate. The unlimited washing is wonderful and very reasonably priced.

Oh That's so Funny!:D

[/font]

It's per cabin & one of the best bargains on board!

Expensive?:confused: IMO It's a bargain..Unlimited laundry for every cabin 21 days is $120...I don't call that expensive..Everything comes back beautifully pressed..Also the bags are only $20 & you can fit lots of thing in the bags..

This is the laundry package HAL offers:

PRESSING:

Laundry by the Bag:

For a flat fee of $20.00, guest can launder as many items as they can fit inside one Holland America laundry bag. This offer does not include dry cleaning. Requires 48 hours for the processing and the return. This offer is valid until 2 days before the end of the cruise

The bags for $20 are great..The bags look like they don't hold much, but believe me they do..Size is approx 13.5 X 21"..

Betty

I am a little confused....I am booked on the Noordam for a 2012 21 day holiday cruise and checked with ship services about the cost for unlimited laundry and was told the cost would be $147 and change!

Now, the person I spoke with also told me that there is no discount for 3 star mariners on beverage purchases (capuccino in particular) . I know this is not true and read her the list of 3 star benefits. but I did have my TA also check on the laundry fee and she was given the same figure, way more than the $120 to $125 range mentioned on this thread.. Is this a new change?

I am a little confused....I am booked on the Noordam for a 2012 21 day holiday cruise and checked with ship services about the cost for unlimited laundry and was told the cost would be $147 and change!

Now, the person I spoke with also told me that there is no discount for 3 star mariners on beverage purchases (capuccino in particular) . I know this is not true and read her the list of 3 star benefits. but I did have my TA also check on the laundry fee and she was given the same figure, way more than the $120 to $125 range mentioned on this thread.. Is this a new change?

There may be a premium for services on a Holiday Cruise, just as the fares are higher. Also some have reported higher prices for these services on different itineraries/regions.

I downloaded this from a post by either Kakalina or Krazy Kruizers a few months ago, so the prices could have gone up for the Holiday cruses..We'll be on the Noordam for 21 days the cruise before yours but it's not a Holiday cruise..

On the Eurodam someone posted that unlimited laundry is for 17 day collector's cruise was $153, which is $9.00 per day, so it's very possible the 21 day Holiday on the Noordam has also increased..Check out this thread & then go to post NO. 34...Then open the PDF file..Here is the URL for the Thread..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1655945&highlight=laundry+prices&page=2actual Eurodam Packages..

EurodamLaundryPackages050412.pdf

Then look at post No. 39 re the Ryndam packages..are different altogether & then check out Post no. 4 & 5 prices on the zuiderdam which quoted $126 for an 18 day Cruise..And prices on the Volendam was $98 for a 14 day cruise3..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1633537&highlight=laundry+prices

Now post 15 on the Nieuw Amsterdam (same thread) said he paid $9.00 a day & someone else paid $7.00 a day on the Maasdam..

No wonder you're confused:confused:! I am too..Wouldn't it be nice if HAL was consistant had the same price for all ships & published it on their WEB site? Or am I asking too much?

I know that 3 star Mariners get 25% off wine packages & 25% off in the Explorations café but there is a little note on the chart next to Explorations café which says: Please refer to www.hollandamerica for more information..Not sure what that means..

Maybe someone who has recently been on the Noordam could check out the latest laundry prices & get back to you on this...However, IMO no matter what the price is, your best bet is the bag..You can get lots of stuff into it if you roll everything together tightly & put socks etc. in the corners..Some of ours have been so heavy I can't lift it..LOL

Cheers...:)Betty

Thanks, both of you. We will continue to take the unlimited package....really whatever the cost it is a part of our cruise as far as I am concerned.

Sometimes, after we are back home from a cruise, I find myself making a face at DH when he reaches for a HAL pressed shirt. ( they iron so much better than I do that I tend to want to keep them pristine forever.)

Jenny