Tipping

bdklein

Can some please educate me of point me in the direction of where I can determine what are the tipping guidelines for NCL? Or od they perhaps just charge you a flat service charge. Just trying to figure out my out of pocket expenses/budget for an upcoming cruise. It's a 7 day out of NY in April. We are a family of 4 (kids 11 and 8), and we have 2 regular (not suites) rooms. Thanks.

Can some please educate me of point me in the direction of where I can determine what are the tipping guidelines for NCL? Or od they perhaps just charge you a flat service charge. Just trying to figure out my out of pocket expenses/budget for an upcoming cruise. It's a 7 day out of NY in April. We are a family of 4 (kids 11 and 8), and we have 2 regular (not suites) rooms. Thanks.

Flat service charge of $12 per day per person. Should total $336 for four people for seven days. 15% will be added to all bar bills. No additional tipping required for dining room staff, room stewards, or bar staff.

Have a great cruise. Sailing out of New York will be a treat.

Did I read on a previous thread, that even tho the Flat service charge is $12 per day per person I can go to the desk on my last day and have this removed or adjusted...?

If you're intending to lower it, be prepared to justify why you think the service was so poor as to reduce the tips for the people who took care of your family for the week. They'll want that in writing, and it will go on the service record of the employees that were assigned to you.

If you're intending to lower it, be prepared to justify why you think the service was so poor as to reduce the tips for the people who took care of your family for the week. They'll want that in writing, and it will go on the service record of the employees that were assigned to you.

And I would add that they will ask why, if you were having service issues, you waited until the last day to address them.

Did I read on a previous thread, that even tho the Flat service charge is $12 per day per person I can go to the desk on my last day and have this removed or adjusted...?

Don't do it. This service charge includes all the employees that you never see, but still worked hard to make your cruise a happy one.

If you would like to reward someone with extra, give cash.

Remember that tipping a few dollars for room service is a nice thing to do...and of course if you are traveling in a suite...the butler and concierge are not included in the 'service charge'.

I believe that you can pay the service charges ($12 PP Per Day) ahead of time. Maybe this will help you budget a little easier.

Have a nice cruise.

Check your "Welcome Aboard" booklet for a description of what the service charges are for and instructions on how to adjust them..

BDKlein, you sound like my family! We are also going in April, and have 2 boys 16 & 12 with 2 cabins. What ship/day are you going? We are on the Gem on April 2.

Yes, you CAN do this. They'll have you fill out a card with the reason. It won't be like a police statement. Nobody is going to shine a light into your eyes and have your sworn paperwork notarized.

That said, SHOULD you do this... no.

ps Kids crew is not part of the Daily service charge....

btw removing/reducing the DSC and giving cash to those you want just makes it harder for them. They are supposed to turn in all cash from people who remove/reduce the dsc...and most actually do that. If you want to reward someone who goes over and above, either give them extra cash or fill in a style card(which you can get from the front service desk). promotions time off and other things are given out to positive style card getters....

they can actually keep all the extra cash if you don't remove/reduce

yes, you can but it isn't all that easy in most cases. You may be asked to clarify what went wrong or why you didn't try and work out problems sooner in the cruise. Unless you do have a legit reason why would anyone even think about adjusting the service charge? This is getting to be weekly discussion and I am sure many of us do not understand how anyone could even consider this. the last time we were in the UK we had a 10% service charge added to our bill, isn't that about the same thing? In fact it was added to our breakfast buffet at the hotel and I don't remember if we even saw a wait person, maybe he did pour us coffee.

Nita

Will that $12 a day also be added for my 18 month old who is not allowed to do anything like use the kiddy pools or the kids facilities because she is too young?

From NCL's website:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

Another tip about tipping..eheheheh..

If you want to give someone extra tips or even for tips for bulter, concierge, etc, when staying in a suite, you can go to the front desk and fill out a voucher that is charged to your onboard account and then you don't have to worry about giving actual cash.

Quote:Originally Posted by tinkerfenwick viewpost.gif

Originally Posted by tinkerfenwick viewpost.gif

yes, you can but it isn't all that easy in most cases. You may be asked to clarify what went wrong or why you didn't try and work out problems sooner in the cruise. Unless you do have a legit reason why would anyone even think about adjusting the service charge? This is getting to be weekly discussion and I am sure many of us do not understand how anyone could even consider this. the last time we were in the UK we had a 10% service charge added to our bill, isn't that about the same thing? In fact it was added to our breakfast buffet at the hotel and I don't remember if we even saw a wait person, maybe he did pour us coffee.

Nita

Because Tinkerfenwick is from the UK and wants to not tip. When in Rome...

Will that $12 a day also be added for my 18 month old who is not allowed to do anything like use the kiddy pools or the kids facilities because she is too young?

No, she will not be charged any service charge. I will add, even though she can not use the facilities even toddlers do create work for the crew, in fact sometimes more than anyone else.

Nita

Nita

I was being a smart A##, as I mention though, UK does have service charges and more all the time so why is this tipping thing such as issue with them? I guess I will just never understand.

Nita

Yes! They apparently ask you to fill out a form stating the reason. As a previous poster mentioned, it won't be like a police statement. Nobody is going to shine a light into your eyes and have your paperwork sworn. You will not require your lawyer to be present!

I was being a smart A##, as I mention though, UK does have service charges and more all the time so why is this tipping thing such as issue with them? I guess I will just never understand.

Nita

Nita, I am a Brit and I will never understand either. Service charges and tipping waiters, bar staff cabbies is normal here so why do so many of my fellow countrymen make me feel so ashamed?

Last summer on our Baltic cruise on the Sun I met some Brits in Stockholm from our sailing and they were shocked that I had no intention of removing our service charges and also giving extra to a few folks on board. Apparently they were doing it because the food wasn't as good as when they sailed Celebrity... Made me sour for the last 2 days and I still get angry about it now. In fact I would really prefer not to meet any Brits when I am cruising from now on as I have met too many whiners and cheapskates after 5 cruises.

Nita

Nita, I am a Brit and I will never understand either. Service charges and tipping waiters, bar staff cabbies is normal here so why do so many of my fellow countrymen make me feel so ashamed?

Last summer on our Baltic cruise on the Sun I met some Brits in Stockholm from our sailing and they were shocked that I had no intention of removing our service charges and also giving extra to a few folks on board. Apparently they were doing it because the food wasn't as good as when they sailed Celebrity... Made me sour for the last 2 days and I still get angry about it now. In fact I would really prefer not to meet any Brits when I am cruising from now on as I have met too many whiners and cheapskates after 5 cruises.

Im confused.. I thought when someone from the UK booked their cruise the DSC was charged with the booking. Did that change? If it was charged with the booking, they were able to get it adjusted onboard the ship, not from corporate when they got home?

Archived