Any experiences using the City Passes?

chica

I am thinking of purchasing the City Passes for some of our ports--Copenhagen, Helsinki, Oslo, and Stockholm. Any one use these? Did they save you money and were the easy to get from the ports or did you pre-buy them by mail?

I am thinking of purchasing the City Passes for some of our ports--Copenhagen, Helsinki, Oslo, and Stockholm. Any one use these? Did they save you money and were the easy to get from the ports or did you pre-buy them by mail?

If the city pass are the all day transportation tickets these cities sell, we did not use them. In Helsinki we bought a tram ticket which allowed unlimited on and offs on the trams, but I don't know if this is the same thing. several people have bought it in Stockholm to use on the buses or hoho boats. In Copenhagen, we walked as most of the sites are in a mile or so of each other total. Most of these ports are great to just walk around in, to really see the cites and get the feel of them. You will not be able to see everything, so don't try. I've seen people running around so much they don't even comprehend what they are seeing. Find some of the main things you want to see in each port and concentrate on them, and you will have a blast. If you are able to walk, say for a mile, do it. Plus good exercise and you build up an appetite for evening dinner. :):):)

Cheers

Len

We used the city pass for transportation only in Helsinki(the 6 euro one), Stockholm, and Oslo. We found them to be a good value. In Oslo, we used the buses, trams, and boat out to the Fram museum and back so we felt it paid for itself. We used it in Oslo to get to the Frogner Park with the Vigeland sculptures. We used the pass in Stockholm to get to Vasa and the rest of the items on that island. We walked in Copenhagen, Tallin, and Riga and did not need any public transportation. In Brugge we used the taxi service to get us into town. That was well worth it. Some have used the train there, but we opted for the taxi as being not that much more expensive since we had a taxiful. In Tallin and Riga we just walked into the towns and walked. We did walk a lot but it was not that tiring. We took our time. Get yourself some guidebooks or use Lair Bair's(a CC poster) walking tours. In Rostock our tour guide got the flu so we were left without a tour and we just went into Rostock via the train. We just bought a ticket in and a ticket out. No problems. I, too, was worried about getting into the cities, but my planning and CC paid off. We had few problems other than my husband and I agreeing on which direction we should go!

You will enjoy the Baltic. I planned for almost one year. The planning did pay off. I think it is those who just go with whatever that tend to waste time. That didn't mean we always stuck with our plan. If something caught our eye, we went for it. But, we still had the plan to fall back on.

Enjoy!

Pearl

If you're planning to visit more than one of the Bygdøy museums in Oslo, the OsloPass will definitely save you money, since the museum admissions are not particularly cheap. It covers most of the museums in the city as well as all of the public transportation. Also, if you buy it from the tourist information at the cruise pier, they typically offer a slight discount.

If you're not planning to visit any of the museums (besides the National Gallery, which is free), it will be cheaper to just pay for transit, but be sure to do so before you board as on-board tickets cost almost twice as much. (A one-day transit pass costs less than 2 on-board tickets or 3 prepaid tickets.)

You will enjoy the Baltic. I planned for almost one year. The planning did pay off. I think it is those who just go with whatever that tend to waste time. That didn't mean we always stuck with our plan. If something caught our eye, we went for it. But, we still had the plan to fall back on.

Excellent advice Pearl. I think too many people feel they can just 'wing it' when they go there, that they just never accomplish very much. You must go with some sort of plan, and try and stick with it. And YES, if things catch your eye, do them, as you may never have that chance again.

Touring Tallinn, we also used Lair Bear's wonderful walking tour, but we also found new streets to wander down, unique shops to stop at. Same can be said for Gamla Stan in Stockholm. We love to try and get away from the crowds, and sort of discover things on our own.

But people MUST do some work, have some sort of outline as to what you really want to see, and try and work off of that.

Cheers

Len

We are visiting all of your ports except for Oslo. The only way to answer your question is to sit down, figure out where you are going to visit (museums and other sites) and determine the cost for your party. Than factor in your choosen method of transportation and the cost of that (assuming the card includes public transportation). Compare that cost to the cost of the card. Anything else is just a guess. I have done what I described and for us the cards make sense in some ports but not in others. Your answer may be quite different.

One additional item is that if the card cost is very close it might make sense to buy it as in some cases you avoid some lines with the card. That was a big plus for us last summer in Rome with the Roma Pass, we walked by a huge line at the Coliseum.

Kirk

No worries, I plan every detail of our days on vacation and like Pearl, if we don't follow it, it does not matter as it is great to have something to fall back. I do think the passes will be good for Oslo as we are coming in a day early and will likely use it. I went through the sights I think we will see in Stockholm and it does not seem worth. Copenhagen may be worth it for the admission to Tivoli. Do any of you know if you can buy the pass at the dock in Copenhagen?

• 2 weeks later...
I am flying in and I thought you could buy the Pass at the airport.

Yes you can. You can buy them at the train ticket office in the main terminal at the airport.

You can also order the City Passes ahead of time, can you not? Are they much more expensive if you do this (I would prefer to have them "in hand" when we arrive)?

Correct. They add an extra kr.10 (~$1.75) service charge when you order on-line.

If you are going to visit more than 2 attractions - Tivoli, Museums etc.. it is worth it, especially if you think that by the end of the day you will want to take the bus or train back to the ship. You can walk almost everywhere, but I know from personal experience that by the end of the day - that bus looks VERY good LOL

Archived