From balcony to inside?

I have a question for those of you who may have gone from a balcony room to an inside room. We enjoyed the balcony very much on our first cruise and as we plan our next cruise, we are going to take our parents with us. To be able to afford it we were thinking of getting inside rooms for everyone. This will be there first cruise but for us I don't know if I can handle going to an inside room after enjoying the balcony so much. Any thoughts?

No problem for us. We usually sail in inside cabins. The savings allow us to sail more!

You will have access to the same activities, food, etc., of those in balcony cabins.

Relax and enjoy what will be a wonderful cruise for your family!

Claustrophobia and sea sickness was a concern simply because we could step outside if we felt weezy at all. I know I can't afford to get everybody a balcony so I don't feel right about just getting ourselves one. I may just be spending more time in the public areas than my room this time. Maybe it will be good for us. Get us out of the room more! Thanks for your replies.

We usually stay in a balcony cabin but sometimes opt for an inside to save money. I have never slept better than I do in an inside cabin. We prefer balcony cabins but love inside cabins for different reasons.

You won't know until you try!!

I have a question for those of you who may have gone from a balcony room to an inside room. We enjoyed the balcony very much on our first cruise and as we plan our next cruise, we are going to take our parents with us. To be able to afford it we were thinking of getting inside rooms for everyone. This will be there first cruise but for us I don't know if I can handle going to an inside room after enjoying the balcony so much. Any thoughts?

We only get staterooms with a balcony and it must be on the top passenger deck. If we cannot afford the room we want, we wait until we can.

I could not go from a balcony to an inside, but my advice would be to spend as little time as possible in your room and you should be ok. ;)

I am not too good in tight spots...BUT...I was fine switching to an inside cabin. I didnt feel closed in.

I think the room was very dark. That was our problem. If you can get a window...that would be nice. BUT I wouldnt have a problem staying in another inside cabin. I didnt feel any worse with sea sickness either. If you get seasick you should just try and get an inside cabin in the middle of the ship. That rocks the least from what I was told.

Mariner. Thought about that but we are taking our 4 year old along with us this time and they don't have promenade rooms as an option with 3 people. Our rooms options are pretty limited with 3 guests as far as getting specific. There are plenty of rooms it's just hard to find 3 together in a decent spot on the ship.

On a shorter sailing (say a 3 or 4 night) we will take a window cabin and usually have a balcony for longer sailings. We’ve never had a problem going back and forth.

I did have an inside once and really did not like it. It was more the size and layout rather than not being able to see outside.

If my choice is an inside cabin or no cruise at all, I would gladly take the inside .

Enjoy

M

First of all-do what you have to do to make it work financially and not be a burden. Obviously it's nice to have a balcony but if that makes it too expensive an inside room will be just fine. We have done insides on short cruises and they are fine.

Have done both and this time we are doing insides because of the kids. There are five of us two adults and three kids. So we got two inside connecting for a small amount more than one outside. I'm taking nightlights and some power strips to accomodate them and chargers.

Think of this way,, for the most part you're only in them to sleep and change.

Took an inside once and really hated it! We never wanted to go back to our cabin and were truly uncomfortable in such small quarters. Did not like the complete darkness at all hours either. However, as stated above, if it works for you financially and it means going on a cruise or not, Id certainly do it.

we are scheduled to cruise on RC for the first time in an inside cabin on the Monarch. We have crusied on Carnival 5 times and always in an outside / balcony cabin. What can we expect from RC? I know the cabins are much smaller than what we're used it.

As others have stated....everyone has a different opinion on a balcony compared to an inside and everyone sees things differently. While I cannot or will not suggest what cabin you should choose, I can provide our experience and thought process.

We will be going on our 19th cruise in April. The first 16 cruises were all balcony cabins and/or suites with balconies. We did love them, and swore we would never, ever go to an inside cabin, however, our friends always took an inside cabin and would cruise twice a year to our once a year for the same price.

So, being open minded, we decided to try an inside cabin. All I can say is that we love the inside cabin. Could be do both an inside or balcony and be happy? Yes! But if I close the curtains to the balcony cabin, I cannot tell that much difference if I'm in a balcony cabin or an inside cabin. When we watch TV, we're watching it in bed so the room size has no bearing on that. Plus, with the room so dark in the inside cabin, we actually slept better and will now cruise twice this year.

Best of luck on whatever you decide...I suppose unless you try an inside, you will never know how you feel about them. We took that chance and tried it and love it. You might hate it, but nobody can or should tell you what cabin is better because it is just a personal choice.

we have always done balcony cabins but when we weighed in on the time we were actually using the balcony we deceided to try an inside cabin and i'm sold on it. i loved the darkness, i'm a terrible sleeper but in the inside i slept much better. i considered deck 4 more our balcony this past cruise. grab a chair, cold beer and enjoy a great view. deck 11 was a good balcony for us also. so we were out and about with multiple balconies and a much cheaper cruise fare.

On our first cruise on Explorer several years ago, we had a balcony and enjoyed it. We found it exciting to be out there mostly in the mornings when we were pulling into a port, especially since this was our first cruise. Our next cruise a few years later we couldn't justify the extra cost of the balcony so we went with an oceanview on Deck 2 on Adventure. I thought it would be a let-down to go to the oceanview after having the balcony the first time, but it didn't bother me at all. I don't know if I would like the inside, though, and not being able to see outside. I was surprised that not having the balcony was no big deal. Our next cruise a couple years later we again stayed on Deck 2 with the oceanview cabin. Deck 2 had many advantages, such as the ease of getting on and off the ship for excursions. When we returned from excursions, there would be huge lines for the elevators and we just got right on the ship and were able to go right to our cabin. Also, it was nice to be able to walk back and forth to the dining room and not have to wait for the elevators. When we did take the elevators, they were empty when we got on, since we were the lowest deck. I can't speak to the inside rooms, but I can say that, for me, for the time we actually spent on the balcony, I didn't even miss it.

For the person moving from Carnival, you won't notice much difference. the bathroom is much smaller, and the room a little too, but much better decor (only Carnival cruise was Valor).

We moved from a Junior Suite to a balcony. It was quite nice in the morning, but we hardly ever used it. When I am older and want to stay in my cabin more I will go back to a balcony. Right now it is just a waste of money for us as we are never on it. I am much more concerned to be on a high deck. Deck nine or ten inside means being within a stones throw of the outside world. That is probably why we have never gone for an Ocean View as they are mostly low down.

we are scheduled to cruise on RC for the first time in an inside cabin on the Monarch. We have crusied on Carnival 5 times and always in an outside / balcony cabin. What can we expect from RC? I know the cabins are much smaller than what we're used it.

You can expect great bedding, great service and great Public Areas!

DH has some health issues and sometimes has problems when we cruise. He ends up napping a good deal. I love a balcony because I can be close if needed, but still enjoy the ocean.

I've heard a number of people say that when they cruise in an inside, they leave the TV on the Bridge cam channel so they have a "window".

I've only sailed on Carnival once - on the Elation in an OV cabin. Your's on the Monarch will be much smaller. The standard joke is that you have to go outside to change your mind. (The bulk of the OV's on the Monarch are that small too.) Just don't judge the size of all RCI cabins by the size of those on the Monarch (and Majesty).

Archived