Can Ayers Rock be done with one overnight (flying to/from Sydney)?

chees

Can we visit Ayers Rock arriving one day, stay overnight and experience 'Silence Under the Stars,' and fly back to Sydney the next day? Just wondering if this is doable as we are going on a Sydney-Auckland cruise and definitely do not want to miss Ayers Rock, but are trying to pack as much in our time as possible.

Thanks,

Tina

Doable, yes. Advisable, maybe. A lot of people find the cost of accomodations at Uluru to be outrageous. Staying one night curbs some cost other side is once you are there you might want to see the Olgas and other outback sites. . . .

Yes it's do-able but it will cost you. Personally, I think it's worth it. The Silence Under The Stars dinner is wonderful but don't set your expectations too high about hotels. They are all adequate, but expensive and disappointing one way or another but for one night who cares!

You probably could do it, but I personally wouldn't. The lodging at Uluru is expensive and the Sounds of Silence Dinner is even more so. It's a lot of money for a very short time. It would be far better to stay at least two days, see Uluru both at sunset and sunrise and see the Olgas as Moyaroo suggested. You would really be selling yourself short to try to see everything in one day. After all, you wouldn't fly to Sydney just to see the Harbour Bridge and Opera House and then leave, would you?

• 2 weeks later...

Chees,

If you possibly can ....definitely do it. As others have said...the hotels are not resort like for the money but a lot can be done in an afternoon, an evening and an early morning. You can sleep later.

That is plenty of time to walk around (not all the way around) Ularu (the Rock). See the sun set on it, go back to watch the sun rise and even get over to the Kata Tjuta (Olgas). There will be some indigenous shops/info. Not much else to do or see. I've never stayed more than one night.

If you can afford it - a light aircraft flight is sensational. Puts everything into perspective. It will do Ularu and Kata Tjuka.

Hope you can do it. ;)

Raina

• 4 weeks later...

We will be cruising out of Sydney next Feb. doing a B2B on the Radiance, first leg to Tasmania, then the Top End cruise around Australia ending in Perth.

Would it be better to do Ayers Rock before our Feb. 12 sailing, or after a few days in Perth at the end in mid-March? My little bit of research leads me to believe that we will have to fly from Sydney to Uluru, so we'd have to fly from Perth to Sydney, Sydney to Uluru if we go at the end.

But, if the weather is a little better in mid March it would be worth it. Also, we probably will be flying out of Sydney anyway to go back to the USA.

Is the weather terribly hot in early February?

Thanks!

Annette

I have been looking at going to Ayers Rock from Perth also. Direct flights four times a week, also flights to Alice Springs (4.5 hours away from the resort by car).

If you are thinking of hiring a car and driving from Alice Springs to Ayres Rock, or visa versa, please be aware that a lot of car hires won't allow you to drive after dusk.

This is due to the higher risk of hitting animals on the road. (I knew someone, working at the resort, who wrote off a hire car, after hitting a cow, whilst driving from the resort to Alice.)

We will be cruising out of Sydney next Feb. doing a B2B on the Radiance, first leg to Tasmania, then the Top End cruise around Australia ending in Perth.

Would it be better to do Ayers Rock before our Feb. 12 sailing, or after a few days in Perth at the end in mid-March? My little bit of research leads me to believe that we will have to fly from Sydney to Uluru, so we'd have to fly from Perth to Sydney, Sydney to Uluru if we go at the end.

But, if the weather is a little better in mid March it would be worth it. Also, we probably will be flying out of Sydney anyway to go back to the USA.

Is the weather terribly hot in early February?

Thanks!

Annette

Yes, the weather is terribly hot at that time of year. In addition, be prepared for bush flies.

Uluru is a place of special spiritural significance, which really can't be rushed.

As accommodation at the Resort is expensive, we only stayed one night (two days), then drove, before dusk, to Curtin Springs Cattle Station, 85 klm east of Ayres Rock.

Accommodation here is very basic, however, the locals we met at the pub and the tour we took the next day were highlights of our visit to the Alice Springs/Ayres Rock region.

"SEIT Outback Australia Tours have exclusive rights to run tours to Mt Conner. SEIT Outback Australia offers a unique and exclusive experience to Mt Conner, located 100Km east of Uluru. This is the quintessential Aussie Outback experience. This fascinating tour will introduce you to life in the desert. Absorb the ambiance of the Red Centre without the crowds as we venture into an extraordinary environment by 4WD."

http://www.curtinsprings.com/

Yes, the weather is terribly hot at that time of year. In addition, be prepared for bush flies.

That is what I thought! Is mid-March any better? Are the flies still bad in March?

I have checked out Virgin Blue flights from Perth to Uluru. They all go through Sydney. Are there any direct flights on other airlines?

That is what I thought! Is mid-March any better? Are the flies still bad in March?

I have checked out Virgin Blue flights from Perth to Uluru. They all go through Sydney. Are there any direct flights on other airlines?

This is the weather provided by the Resort -

Average Monthly Maximum Temperatures

JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN

C° 36 35 33 28 24 20

F° 97 95 91 82 75 68

JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC

C° 19 23 27 31 34 35

F° 66 73 81 88 93 95

As you can see, March is a little cooler than Feb, but still very hot. Spring is a better time and the wildflowers are out then.

Bush flies, which often come in swarms, are hard to predict, but they don't like the cold and are worse in summer.

Of course, you could buy one of the hats with nets (not corks), if you wished to keep any pesky flies away. Or you can buy a green net to put over your hat.

Bush flies, which often come in swarms, are hard to predict, but they don't like the cold and are worse in summer.

Of course, you could buy one of the hats with nets (not corks), if you wished to keep any pesky flies away. Or you can buy a green net to put over your hat.

Or...if you live in the U.S., buy mosquito head nets at a local sporting goods store. They should cost no more than $5 each. Make sure each of you has a hat, preferably broad brimmed. If you don't take precautions of some sort, you'll become quite proficient at giving the Aussie Salute.

We were at Uluru in early March and there were plenty of flies.

Or...if you live in the U.S., buy mosquito head nets at a local sporting goods store. They should cost no more than $5 each. Make sure each of you has a hat, preferably broad brimmed. If you don't take precautions of some sort, you'll become quite proficient at giving the Aussie Salute.

We were at Uluru in early March and there were plenty of flies.

Okay! Thanks for the tips. I'll add mosquito nets to our planning list!

Allis154 gave you the answer earlier: 4 non-stops a week.

Yes, thanks, I did see that post. I should have been more specific in my request! WHICH airline has the nonstop flights, what days?

I googled around and finally found it: Qantas has 4 nonstop flights for $219 one way(special price right now) on Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday at 10:05 am. It is about a 2 hour flight if I remember correctly.

Archived