Paid for Cruise, What if Price Drops?

dm5201

If the price drops BEFORE final payment, you can get the new price. (Note if you booked through a TA and not Princess, you would have to know if your TA's policy is to honor price drops without a fee.) If you cruise, March 6th of this year, I would think you've hit final payment, so you wouldn't qualify for price drops. If you cruise March 6th of next year, keep your eyes peeled for drops.

If the price drops AFTER final payment, you don't get the difference or an upgrade, but you could always give it a try. They'll tell you no, but what the heck...

Oh, it also would depend on the cruise line and type of fare you booked. You'd need to give more information for a more definitive answer. I based my answer on the cruiselines I've cruised.

Before you reach final payment, you could cancel and rebook at the lower fare. Therefore most TA's will give you the lower fare. After final payment, it becomes very expensive to cancel and incur the cancelation penalty,

Be careful, though ... some agencies charge a cancellation fee, irrespective of the time.

Yeah, prices could go down after final payment, and then you are often stuck. The flip side is -- If you wait to book, prices could go up, and your cabin choices are usually poor. It is a gamble.

These days, it seems as if it's better to wait until after the final payment date to book, provided you're not fussy about accommodations. Ships aren't filling up as quickly as they were, and the bargains often come after full payment is due, so as to get warm bodies onboard ... empty staterooms produce zero revenue. There's usually the disclaimer, "New Bookings Only." We saved about $140 last time we did this.

We have always booked directly with Princess (no TA). When we see a price reduction, we call Princess and have always been given the lower price, even after the final payment was made. Simply call Princess and ask. Worst thing that can happen is they will say "so sorry".

Keep in mind that not everything is always as it appears. Some of the price reductions you see on line might apply to a different cabin category than what you have booked.

Have fun.

Normally on Princess, after final payment date you are out of luck with getting a price reduction. It never hurts to call your TA or Princess (if you booked directly), but I wouldn't count on it. As has been said, usually when you see a drastic price decrease after final payment, it is in the form of a flash promo and only available to new booking only.

Check right before final payment to see if there are any price reductions, and if they happen afterwards, call, but never count on receiving them. Enjoy!

These days, it seems as if it's better to wait until after the final payment date to book, provided you're not fussy about accommodations. Ships aren't filling up as quickly as they were, and the bargains often come after full payment is due, so as to get warm bodies onboard ... empty staterooms produce zero revenue. There's usually the disclaimer, "New Bookings Only." We saved about $140 last time we did this.

Good point, especially if you can drive to the departure port and are flexible on your travel dates. I would think those near Miami / Ft. Lauderdale have the best choices and best chance for a low fare just before departure. I think you have book at least 3 days prior to departure, right?

Well, looks like I'm going to be inconsistent with the previous feedback. We have received the lower price even after the final payment date. If you booked directly, call princess and ask.

Again, you have to keep in mind your booked category when looking at the "lowest price" advertised.

Good point, especially if you can drive to the departure port and are flexible on your travel dates. I would think those near Miami / Ft. Lauderdale have the best choices and best chance for a low fare just before departure. I think you have book at least 3 days prior to departure, right?

No, you can call Carnival in the morning and board in the afternoon. EM

Archived