misc questions-Barcelona

daffodiliaz

1. NCL Epic and Carnival Magic will both end here 9/25 (Sunday). NCL docs at Adossat terminal B. I saw a map that showed a bus stop here. Do taxis pickup right in front of the terminal as well? We'll be heading to the airport. Do cruiseline transfers stop at all BCN terminals?

2. My only real international travel experience is to England, which can be expensive. We'll be in Barcelona 1.5 days. Is Barcelona more, less, or as expensive than say London for things like casual dining or grocery stores? (Example: 1.5GBP for a 2-liter bottle of Coke. I would rarely pay $1.50USD for that.)

3. As for grocery/convenience stores, if we are staying at Mont Blanc hotel, are there stores close for essentials like bottled water, soda, or snacks?

None Spain question: We're eyeing flights conx through London Heathrow. Are EUR accepted in shops? Would prefer not to exchange for GBP just for a couple layovers.

Thanks!

Hi,

Since Coke is a USA product and has to be imported to Europe it is always more expensive than at home!

I don't drink USA soda when I am in Europe so cannot tell you the exact price. I stick to local products and wine etc. which is inexpensive.

Your hotel is in a good location and someone there can direct you to groceries nearby.

Casual dining will be at all price levels from really cheap to high end.At lunch you will often find 3 course "specials" that are very good value!! How much would you like to spend??

Make sure that if you go through Heathrow, you have lots of time between flights. Sorry I don't know if they'll take euros.

I wouldn't expect it but I don't know for sure. You can always use your credit card.

I see your point about imported Coke. Bad example. Let's try a bottle of water from a local store or a pastry and cup of coffee from a local cafe.

As for Heathrow, I would think they might accept EUR with all the international traffic, but I guess one could always stop at the currency exchange to exchange EUR for GBP. (Canadians often accept and convert US dollars and give Canadian change.)

LOTS of little cafes where morning coffee+ pastry and fresh squeezed juice would be 3-6 euros. You might find coffee + fresh ham or ham and cheese sandwich + coffee for a similar price.

There are set price lunches(3 courses) that may range from 12e to 60 e so a very wide range just like at home!

Actually, Coke sold in Spain is bottled in Spain. I have no idea what a bottle costs, though, sorry.

London is considerably more expensive than Barcelona.

El Corte Inglés on the Placa de Cataluna is only a few blocks from your hotel. It is a major department store with a full grocery department in the basement.

NCL Epic and Carnival Magic will both end here 9/25 (Sunday). NCL docs at Adossat terminal B. I saw a map that showed a bus stop here. Do taxis pickup right in front of the terminal as well? We'll be heading to the airport. Do cruiseline transfers stop at all BCN terminals?

Yes you will see the taxis when you leave cruise terminal building. If you are looking for cruiseline transfers on the way in someone will be inside the terminal. On the way back to the airport they'll drop off where you'll need to go.

My only real international travel experience is to England, which can be expensive. We'll be in Barcelona 1.5 days. Is Barcelona more, less, or as expensive than say London for things like casual dining or grocery stores?

Barcelona can be more expensive then an average Spanish town but is cheaper than London. Prices has to do with the area where you'll be located; tourist areas are more expensive.

I am not big fan of London Heathrow transfers (as I got stuck there for 6 hrs). Iberia flies non stop to Barcelona from JFK and will sell you a ticket from your city. But if you end up in LHR you use your CC for pretty much anything; no need for Euros

Hi,

Since Coke is a USA product and has to be imported to Europe it is always more expensive than at home!

I don't drink USA soda when I am in Europe so cannot tell you the exact price. I stick to local products and wine etc. which is inexpensive.

Your hotel is in a good location and someone there can direct you to groceries nearby.

Casual dining will be at all price levels from really cheap to high end.At lunch you will often find 3 course "specials" that are very good value!! How much would you like to spend??

Make sure that if you go through Heathrow, you have lots of time between flights. Sorry I don't know if they'll take euros.

I wouldn't expect it but I don't know for sure. You can always use your credit card.

Coke has bottling plants all over the world. It never tastes the same as U.S. Coke.

If you just want ordinary basic bottled water, then go to a convenience store located a little way from the tourist areas. It will cost less then 1 euro for 2L bottle.

Note at Heathrow, Barcelona flights are to/from T3 , and the PHX flights are to/from T5. There is an airside transfer service, just follow the signs when you get off the plane. Euros are accepted in all shops, bars, eating places airside but you will get change in sterling.

If you end up with a few euro or sterling coins that you do not want then BA will take them off you via one of their onboard charity envelopes - if you want to do that of course.

Please do try the little cafés dotted around Barcelona, the coffee is usually great, and a lot cheaper than Starbucks :) most also do tappas if you want a little snack.

OK, Soo I was wrong about Coke being bottled here BUT it IS MUCH more expensive in Europe than here at home!! Drinking local wine/local brands of soda/juice etc. is much less expensive! That was really the point I was trying to make.

IF you eat/drink like a local it is always less expensive.

Archived