Internet Charges, other amenities for a WC newbie

ColumbiaSC

I would like to know what the internet charges are on the ms Amsterdam for someone who has never sailed on HAL --- I have just booked the 2012 WC. Being World Club Diamond Level on Cunard means nothing even though Cunard and HAL are members of the same "group" of cruise lines.

I am travelling MM, so I am in steerage.

Does HAL give two hours internet time free after each segment of a World Cruise?

Does HAL set apart a lounge during a WC for those taking the entire voyage?

In all cases the internet charges are the same for everyone regardless of class of cabin or number of days aboard HAL: $3.95 to open an account, then $0.75/minute, or $55 for 100 minutes, or $100 for 250 minutes. On WC's there is one additional block choice, and I think that's 1000 minutes for $250. No one gets free time.

There's no special lounge unless you're in a Deluxe Suite, and then you get the Neptune.

Call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 to get pricing for your cruise as there are special deals for the World Cruise about 3 months before your cruise.

Even though there are self-srvice laundries on the Amsterdam, you might also want to consider a laundry package -- which Ship Services can answer for you.

I will also be on the whole 2012 world cruise in a MM catagory,single supplement and guarantee. I have also gone on 2 other world cruises in 2008 and 2010. Would be more than willing to answer any questions you have about world cruising on Holland America. Did you book a guarantee and hope for a upgrade?

I envy you with your world cruise. Jt 513 has the internet charges on the internet. If you are using email, sign in, then go off line compose and the go back on line, saves a lot of $$$$$$$

Have a great cruise, lucky you - and nothing wrong with 'steerage' on HAL.

everyone is treated the same

If you are using email, sign in, then go off line compose and the go back on line, saves a lot of $$$$$$$

:confused: How does that help any? As far as SeaMobile/MTN is concerned you're still logged in and the meter is still running. To stop the $$$ you have to log off after downloading incoming mail to your laptop/netbook.

In fact, if you ever forget to go to 1.1.1.1 to log out when you're done your money is still going down the drain.

:confused: How does that help any? As far as SeaMobile/MTN is concerned you're still logged in and the meter is still running. To stop the $$$ you have to log off after downloading incoming mail to your laptop/netbook.

In fact, if you ever forget to go to 1.1.1.1 to log out when you're done your money is still going down the drain.

It works if you have your own computer and can compose and then send.

Susan

oofroggie --- I also booked MM Guarantee and hope for an upgrade but realize fully that one might not be forrhcoming. It seems to me that there is not much to be said for preferring any one MM cabin over another, as I see MM cabins only on Dolphin Deck aft. I would prefer a cabin near the bow rather than the stern, but that may not be possible.

If you are booked for the 2012 WC on the ms Amsterdam, please go to the Roll Call for this voyage and provide your given name (for example, Sue) and your hometown so that we might keep the Roll Call up to date.

It works if you have your own computer and can compose and then send.

Susan

No it doesn't. As long as you're logged in you're paying. If you don't log off you can even shut off your computer and the meter still keeps running.

If you mean that you can first compose off-line and then log-in, sure, but what kazu said about logging in and then going into off-line mode doesn't do a thing for saving money.

Have a great cruise, lucky you - and nothing wrong with 'steerage' on HAL.

People often say this to me because I take a few cruises a year. It makes me laugh and I tell them I'm not lucky because I didn't win it. All you have to do is take out your wallet and pay for it:D. No luck required.

Is there an internet cafe aboard or should we bring an iPad or laptop if we want to go on line and check email, etc?

Every HAL ship has an Internet center, typically located in the Explorations Cafe. (I'm not sure where it was relocated to on the Prinsendam.)

Since there is a per-minute charge to use the service, you will save a great deal of money by using your own laptop. It costs the same amount when you use your own computer, but you can download the mail, then log off. You open and read your mail, respond if necessary, then log on again to send. Much of the work has been done off the clock that way.

No it doesn't. As long as you're logged in you're paying. If you don't log off you can even shut off your computer and the meter still keeps running.

If you mean that you can first compose off-line and then log-in, sure, but what kazu said about logging in and then going into off-line mode doesn't do a thing for saving money.

I bring my lil' Netbook ... you can go online.. check your emails... then go offline--meaning logout-- then compose offline in an email client or Word.. then go back online and copy and paste into your email client if you are using webmail..

I do it all the time...it's the only way to save online time..

the Satellite Internet from MTN is absolutely terrible..all over the ship... almost like they are intentionally making the connection that slow..... was on the Maasdam for 21 days both in Oct-Nov and more recently for 21 days for Christmas-New Years... horrible satellite connection speed...it has not gotten better in all the many times we've been on that ship...

in case others do not know .. a lot of times they check the speed/connection of the satellite internet thruout the ship for the cabins..and get 'false' results--actually they don't check inside the cabins but as close to the hallway door as they can... if you don't get a good connection at the table/counter in your room .. just use your Laptop nearer the door... the closer you get to the door the better the connection.. try it... it'll go from POOR to Very Good...

Since there is wi-fi throughout the ship, bringing your own laptop allows you flexibility in where you go on line. Most cabins will get a usable signal. Also, at times all the ships' computers are in use.

Another reason I bring mine is to back up my pictures every night in case of a loss or malfunction of my camera.

I bring my lil' Netbook ... you can go online.. check your emails... then go offline--meaning logout-- then compose offline in an email client or Word.. then go back online and copy and paste into your email client if you are using webmail.
You're not telling me anything new! :) I've used Windows Live Mail for about a year now, and Outlook Express for many years before that.

... the closer you get to the door the better the connection.. try it... it'll go from POOR to Very Good...
And if you prop the door open a few inches with a shoe or something it'll get even better. The closer you are to one of these hallway antenna cones the better your connection will be:

2442458200099632937S200x200Q85.jpg

Another reason I bring mine is to back up my pictures every night in case of a loss or malfunction of my camera.

You're not telling me anything new! :) I've used Windows Live Mail for about a year now, and Outlook Express for many years before that.

I do a backup everyday of all my pics just as you do... don't want to 'lose' the 3600+ pics I took on this last 21 day cruise on the Maasdam

as I'm always up very early and up on deck for Sunrise to take pics every morning... always go online very early... when very few are online...you do get a somewhat faster connection.. at last a bit better than during the rest of the day

think the person who mentioned it meant 'logout' rather than offline...

as far as the email client.. I'm an original die-hard 'Nutscrape' user so these days I stick with Tbird and Firefox.. wouldn't go near IE or W-Live or OE:D

sorry, I wasn't clear, I took my netbook, receive my emails then went off line (yes you have to log out). then, after I had all my messages composed, I logged back in and sent them. sorry if I didn't make sense. It does work, honest - I'm on windows live too and had no problem doing it. It just saves some internet time, that's all. It worked well for me as I could do my replies or whatever without even logging in and then when we had a good connection, just send them. sorry, I didn't mean to cause an issue

It does work, honest - I'm on windows live too and had no problem doing it.
Yes, I know ... I've been doing it on HAL ships with WLM and Outlook Express for years. But WLM does have a "work off line" mode, and I didn't want people to think that by entering that mode (while still logged in to SeaMobile/MTN) somehow stopped the meter from running. :)

Archived