ON Board Account Deposit

Greg LaRose

We have cruised several times paying our DSC, buying the soda package and putting money on our OBC account prior to cruising. I made several calls to NCL and was "told" that they only thing they are worried about is getting their DSC's paid for. So, they said sometimes the rep at the check in desk at port will only require you to pay that amount for the room and be fine with it. Others have said to just let them know at the desk that you have pre-paid your DSC and put money on your account prior to boarding and they won't require you to put any additional amounts.

We have done the later one (told them it's already paid) twice over the years and never had a problem (had a back up cc just in case there was) and they let us go without any questions only explaining "if you try to use your room card and there isn't any more money left on there, it will deny your charges and you will have to go down to customer service and add additional funds if you want to use it." :)

Just know that for SOME reason, NCL's system (that you pay your DSC, soda packages, add OBC and so on) is not hooked up with the same system at the port. Therefore, the people at the port can not actually "check" that you have paid for these services to verfiy it.

Can you prepay your DSC when you get to port or once onboard if your paying all cash? Or do you have to do it before departure date comes? I don't have a cc and plan on depositing cash. I have UBP and we will prepay any specialty dining before we even cruise. Just wondering if its easier to pay for the DSC once I make final payment or wait until day of departure. I'd rather pay it asap before I even leaving and then just deposit cash for any possible spending money I may need.

I have also been wondering this same thing. We are credit card-less by choice, and don't really want to hold up funds in our checking account by using our debit card. It doesn't seem like the info on using cash on the NCL website has been updated recently at all. Our DSCs are prepaid, and we plan on putting $500 on our account to use on board.

However, from what I've found on the NCL site, it says they require the following amounts (copy & pasted):

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

I guess, since we planned on $500, an extra $100 won't break the bank.

Can you prepay your DSC when you get to port or once onboard if your paying all cash? Or do you have to do it before departure date comes? I don't have a cc and plan on depositing cash. I have UBP and we will prepay any specialty dining before we even cruise. Just wondering if its easier to pay for the DSC once I make final payment or wait until day of departure. I'd rather pay it asap before I even leaving and then just deposit cash for any possible spending money I may need.

You should be able to pay the DSC with a phone call using a prepaid card or your bank debit card prior to your day of departure. I actually paid mine through my online myncl page on ncl's website. I've only made my deposit for my cruise but wanted to pay DSC before the March 1st price increase so I did. I have months prior to final payment.

If you're doing specialty dining a la carte (no UDP) I don't think that can be done beforehand (accept for perhaps a dinner show). Now you can certainly purchase OBC prior to your cruise to cover your expected specialty dining or other planned expenses using your prepaid card or bank debit card.

The prepaid card probably isn't acceptable for your account card and they'll hold cash off your bank debit card for days beyond the cruise, so I don't recommend that (neither does NCL). However, for one time charges to pay expenses prior to the cruise it should be fine.

The nice thing about the prepaid cards is you can add funds to them and use like a credit/debit at many places. A nice option for those w/o credit cards, but still need to do some transactions.

Good luck with your planning and have a great cruise!

DH and I did cash down on our last cruise and gave them $300 when we arrived. When the account got low we just went to the desk and added more. Nobody gave us a hard time about $100 pp a day. It is a suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really don't understand. I am debt free but I still have credit cards to use and pay any charges in full monthly. It seems to me if you don't have a "credit" card you can't really ask for NCL to give you "credit". What is wrong with using the credit card for onboard charges and paying the bill in full with a debit card or cash at the end of cruise?

There are a couple of ways around the cash deposit; they could give you the cash, you could buy on board credits for them. they're listed on the NCL website in the bon voyage gifts sections.

The other option, if they don't have a debit card with a visa/mastercard logo, they can purchase one at most check cashing places, load it up as much as they'd like, and go from there. There are fees for buying the card initially, but it does solve the problem fairly well.

Prepaid VISA/MC cards are often NOT accepted onboard. Sorry.

You replied to a 4 year old post... You're better than that!

Damnit! Okay, there were 20 posts TODAY that replied to the posts from 2011 and 2012.

In any event, it is beyond my comprehension why so many people make this difficult. We walk up to the counter (just like a hotel) and hand them our credit card. It handles everything. No fuss. No muss. No terrible holds. No running out of cash. No refunds to be mailed. No standing in line the last morning. No extra fees.

So simple. So easy. So.....

I have also been wondering this same thing. We are credit card-less by choice, and don't really want to hold up funds in our checking account by using our debit card. It doesn't seem like the info on using cash on the NCL website has been updated recently at all. Our DSCs are prepaid, and we plan on putting $500 on our account to use on board.

However, from what I've found on the NCL site, it says they require the following amounts (copy & pasted):

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

I guess, since we planned on $500, an extra $100 won't break the bank.

As many have said you may put down any amount of cash that you want to as long as the service charges are covered. Our friend certainly didn't put $300 on her account.

Ok, so I am depositing X cash when I board. Will the full cruise DSC be taken immediately, or $12.95 each day?

Or can I at least request that it's all taken straight away, so that I know the balance is free to spend.

I am not paying DSC before embarkation.

It is added each day. I'm not aware of any way (other than prepaying it) to change this.

You should be able to pay the DSC with a phone call using a prepaid card or your bank debit card prior to your day of departure. I actually paid mine through my online myncl page on ncl's website. I've only made my deposit for my cruise but wanted to pay DSC before the March 1st price increase so I did. I have months prior to final payment.

If you're doing specialty dining a la carte (no UDP) I don't think that can be done beforehand (accept for perhaps a dinner show). Now you can certainly purchase OBC prior to your cruise to cover your expected specialty dining or other planned expenses using your prepaid card or bank debit card.

The prepaid card probably isn't acceptable for your account card and they'll hold cash off your bank debit card for days beyond the cruise, so I don't recommend that (neither does NCL). However, for one time charges to pay expenses prior to the cruise it should be fine.

The nice thing about the prepaid cards is you can add funds to them and use like a credit/debit at many places. A nice option for those w/o credit cards, but still need to do some transactions.

Good luck with your planning and have a great cruise!

We aren't doing specialty dining on this cruise, but I'm almost positive we were able to book and pay for individual specialty dining reservations on our Epic cruise in 2013.

Damnit! Okay, there were 20 posts TODAY that replied to the posts from 2011 and 2012.

In any event, it is beyond my comprehension why so many people make this difficult. We walk up to the counter (just like a hotel) and hand them our credit card. It handles everything. No fuss. No muss. No terrible holds. No running out of cash. No refunds to be mailed. No standing in line the last morning. No extra fees.

So simple. So easy. So.....

I revived the old post because people are incredibly quick to jump on people asking questions on CC that have already been asked. I was checking to see if there was any updated or additional information to be offered. ;)

We aren't doing specialty dining on this cruise, but I'm almost positive we were able to book and pay for individual specialty dining reservations on our Epic cruise in 2013.

This is correct, Nola26 had it wrong. Booking speciality dining in advance has required prepayment for years now.

So when using cash for your onboard account you have to go to the counter and wait in line? We haven't cruised on NCL yet and are used to being able to deposit through a machine, it sounds like NCL does not have these?

~Katy

So when using cash for your onboard account you have to go to the counter and wait in line? We haven't cruised on NCL yet and are used to being able to deposit through a machine, it sounds like NCL does not have these?

No self serve deposit machines on NCL.

~Katy

It's all about timing as far as standing in line. There were many times when we walked through the atrium/guest service area and there was no line and it was at those times that we use the guest service desk.

It's all about timing as far as standing in line. There were many times when we walked through the atrium/guest service area and there was no line and it was at those times that we use the guest service desk.

Yeah, I guess we will just buy some OBC ahead of time so we can avoid the line on embarkation day. Doubt it will be a big deal.

~Katy

They know that most people will spend what they have on account (hence the recommended). As long as your tips are either prepaid or enough on account to cover them if not prepaid you can put whatever amount on the account you want. 10 50 100 1000. Whatever you want. Don't stress over this. They WILL take your money (whatever it is). Done this many times, so I speak from experience:)

They know that most people will spend what they have on account (hence the recommended). As long as your tips are either prepaid or enough on account to cover them if not prepaid you can put whatever amount on the account you want. 10 50 100 1000. Whatever you want. Don't stress over this. They WILL take your money (whatever it is). Done this many times, so I speak from experience:)

Great, thanks!