Pick-up Time for Private Excursions

caroak

If the Insignia docks at 8:00 a.m. can we expect to meet our private tour guides at 8:45? If it's a tender port would it be best to schedule a 9 o'clock or later pick-up time? We would not want to be paying a driver for waiting time.

Personally, I would allow more time. In my experience the 8:00 arrival time is being cautious, so you probably will dock earlier (barring unexpected difficulties) ... but you really don't know how long it will take to clear customs. We've been in ports (not often but it's happened) where it took a ridiculous amount of time to clear customs. Usually it doesn't take long, but you can't be positive of that.

And if it's a tender port, you probably should allow even more time ... check the departure times of the ship's tours to be safe.

Just my opinion!

If the Insignia docks at 8:00 a.m. can we expect to meet our private tour guides at 8:45? If it's a tender port would it be best to schedule a 9 o'clock or later pick-up time? We would not want to be paying a driver for waiting time.

If a tender port allow more time just in case

It depends on the port ...if the ships has to be cleared before letting any one off it can take a bit longer

We usually schedule for 9 or 10 am for private tours

Enjoy

Lyn

Personally, I would allow more time. In my experience the 8:00 arrival time is being cautious, so you probably will dock earlier (barring unexpected difficulties) ... but you really don't know how long it will take to clear customs. We've been in ports (not often but it's happened) where it took a ridiculous amount of time to clear customs. Usually it doesn't take long, but you can't be positive of that.

And if it's a tender port, you probably should allow even more time ... check the departure times of the ship's tours to be safe.

Just my opinion!

Mura is correct, as usual.

The problem with predicting anything about Customs is twofold:

The Customs officials have ALL the power. Questioning them or trying to hurry them is always a mistake.

Almost any delay that you will incur, comes about because of the actions (or inactions) of your fellow passengers.

Most Drivers who deal with Cruise Ship passengers are aware of these limitations. and will be tolerant of the time that you disembark.

If you have a private tour lined up in a tender port. Speak to the Concierge in advance about getting tender passes for the appropriate time, and it will be arranged for you.

I always ask my tour guide what time they would like to meet. The hired guide has experience with the port, and also your schedule for the day.

Oceania's ships are small enough that normally there is no more than a one boat tender wait. If you ship arrives late in port, or the seas are rough, this could cause a delay. If possible bring a phone, makes it easy to call tour guide for updates.

I agree later is better as we have been in multiple ports where the ship has been cleared late.

As has been suggested, ask the tour guide what is best.

That being said, the tour guide will wait unless it is obvious you will not be able to get off the ship. No tour, no income.

When we have been late off the ship the guide usually extends the end time of the tour (based on sailing time) so we get to see everything. Most guides are not on a 9-5 schedule.

Lastly make sure your guide UNDERSTANDS the sailing time. (We usually quote it as an hour earlier) If you can arrange the tour, see the sights nearest the ship at the end. Traffic, road construction, police actions, etc are more common in many locations.

If the tour guide comes recommended from these boards, then trust that they will know what time to pick you up, they won't or shouldn't charge you to wait and usually they know if there is a change of schedule. In the event of rough seas..a good tour guide will know that, and where the ships new tender dock will be.

Archived